anti sway bars hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masond1287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, was supposed to say how big, not who’s...gotta love autocorrect
Ahh ok. No worries. It's about 3200 lbs dry weight and 450 lbs tongue weight. Single axle. They make the r3 in different weight options. We went with the r3 400# tongue weight because when I read the specs on the hitch it is actually meant for 400-600 lbs tongue weight and the next step up was the r3 600# which was rated for 600-800 lbs tongue weight. Granted we could have gone with the 600# and had no issues, the $400 was on sale and in stock ready to shop before our first trip with enough time to install before hitting the road.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reese Steadi-Flex Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control - Trunnion - 12K GTW, 1.2K TW

Works like a dream. No sway and little noise in sharp turns.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fastway E2 94-00-0600, on a 2200/2900# pop-up.

TW rated to 600, our camper is about 300.

We take the bars off when we're doing tight maneuvering at campsites, and backing into the driveway.

Chgr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
I have two hitches. For our 35ft RV 9000# GVWR and 1200# TW I use the Equalizer 1400 hitch. For my 20ft enclosed car trailer rated up to 10,000# I use a hitch similar to the blue ox but with a separate side mounting friction sway bar. Both due an excellent job.

Just make sure they are installed and adjusted properly whatever hitch you use. Do not trust someone unknown to you to properly install and properly adjust a hitch for you. Check it yourself, and read the hitch installation manual and understand it. Also use a torque wrench and check the bolts and nuts & Ball every once in a while to make sure they are still tight to spec. On a lot of 2 5/16 ball mounts the torque valve of the ball nut can be in the 300-400 # torque range. You may not have a torque wrench that goes that high, just make sure the installer torqued the ball nut properly and check it for as high as you torque wrench will go to make sure it is still tight. I have seen RV dealerships that did not properly torque the ball nut and they came loose.

I have a sherline tongue weight scale and I read the TW of our RV regularly. In the RV world I would tell you, do not believe the advertised mfg tongue weight unless you verify it for yourself with a tongue weight scale. Most RV mfg do not include the weight of a battery or full propane tanks when listing TW numbers and for most TT RVs that is an additional 80-100#. You would be much better off using 12-15% of TT GVWR to estimate the true tongue weight when loaded. It is important to know what your weight numbers are by a scale.

Now make sure your WDH and tow vehicle receiver are rated over your calculated fully loaded tongue weight and maximum GVWR of your RV.

Also don't forget your RV holding tanks!
Verify where the holding tanks are in the RV frame. Fresh water, grey and black tanks. Some have the fresh water holding tank up front very close to the hitch. Use 1 gallon = 8.34# and calculate the weight of your fresh holding tank when full. Our RV fresh tank is 46 gallons = 384# and the tank is located 3.5 feet back from the hitch coupler. If this tank is full it can add an additional 380# to the tongue weight. That's why I have my own tongue weight scale. Various tongue weight scales are available at various places, even amazon.com

If your fresh water holding tank is in the back of the RV, and you run with fresh water in it, you may have to add tongue weight to compensate and you may have to adjust your WDH accordingly. It could upset the balance of the RV when towing if you don't compensate. We never travel with anything in the waste tanks but some people do.

Also think about your RV axles / suspension and tires. Do not over load them! And check those tire pressures before you ever pull out, every time! RV and trailer tires have a speed rating. And just because the speed limit is 75 mph, that does not mean you can pull your RV or trailer that fast!

Towing something is not a mindless, oblivious jump in and drive experience. It is serious business. And we haven't even talked about weight ratings for tow vehicles yet.

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Just bought a 2016 laramie longhorn my salesman told me I do not need a wdh to pull my jayco hummingbird 3100 lbs 345 tounge weight, is this true?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Just bought a 2016 laramie longhorn my salesman told me I do not need a wdh to pull my jayco hummingbird 3100 lbs 345 tounge weight, is this true?

Technically true, yes. If your truck has the factory receiver it's most likely a Class 3. 600 lb tongue weight with a gross trailer weight of 6000 lbs. They're also good for 1000 lbs tongue weight with 10,000 gross trailer weight when using weight distribution.

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Technically true, yes. If your truck has the factory receiver it's most likely a Class 3. 600 lb tongue weight with a gross trailer weight of 6000 lbs. They're also good for 1000 lbs tongue weight with 10,000 gross trailer weight when using weight distribution.
I have a wdh when I bought my travel trailer I had one purchased with it and its currently set up to my 04 grand cherokee. It will be a pita to set up im sure but would you reccomend I use it? A guy I work with said I should use it but IDK

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I have a wdh when I bought my travel trailer I had one purchased with it and its currently set up to my 04 grand cherokee. It will be a pita to set up im sure but would you reccomend I use it? A guy I work with said I should use it but IDK

I mean, technically you don't need it for that light of a load. I don't use one with my bass boat, and that's about 4500# with about 500# of tongue weight. Campers tow different than boats, though.

Up to you. I would tow it without one just to see. lol

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
I bought it used, will it be in the truck somewhere? I can see that a reciever has never been inserted to the hitch.