Anticipating 6.7 Blown Head Gasket & ARP Replacement Head Stud Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I've read and heard that a weak point on the 6.7s is the head gasket. And now, with the High Output 6.7s with a compression ratio of 21:1, I can see this becoming an issue with my 2019 Cummins Dually.

I have heard the recommended fix for the head gasket are ARC Head Studs. I just heard back from ARC and they gave me the part number for the kit. Here is the kit. Take a deep breath to prepare for the cost on the kit....

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail.php?RecordID=1629

upload_2021-4-26_8-37-40.png

ARC Fasteners proof is in the pudding comes here: George Poteet's legendary Speed Demon 715 has recently set a new piston-engine land pssed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats of 470.015 mph.The Duttweiler-built big block engine uses all ARP fasteners to generate 3,156 HP for more the 65 seconds. Check this out.....

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The head gasket is only a problem because people are tuning them and cranking up the hp and timing etc. If your truck is stock it will be just fine.

And where are you getting the 21:1 compression ratio from? A HO is 16.2:1 last time I look, which by the way is Lower then the SO engine (19:1).

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The head gasket is only a problem because people are tuning them and cranking up the hp and timing etc. If your truck is stock it will be just fine.
^^This^^

There is no reason to "anticipate" a blow headgasket.
This video of a race vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with a stock engine.
Also mtnrider is correct with the compression ratio of 16.2:1 for the HO and 19.1:1 for the SO engine

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

And where are you getting the 21:1 compression ratio from? A HO is 16.2:1 last time I look, which by the way is Lower then the SO engine (19:1).

I read somewhere, a compression ratio of 21:1, but if your source is good, I stand corrected. But it was good hear the head gasket may hold up. I really didn't need to have a head gasket problem on an $80,000 truck.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Turning up power in the 6.7L Cummins is no threat to HG, what will compromise it is advanced timing. The H&S MiniMaxx systems were notorious for taking out head gaskets. The older MMs had a parameter for adjusting ATT ( advanced turbo timing) but the later ones had fixed timing. After suffering a blown HG while running a Mini I had my truck retuned with a good EZlynk tune that is very safe, but I also have ARP studs just for peace of mind.