Any advice on fighting a warranty company

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
So last week my motor threw a rod through the block. I bought my 14 used with 88k on it just over a year ago. Warranty is denying the replacement because I can’t find one of two receipts for oil purchases proving I’ve been changing the oil. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated thanks guys!

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last week my motor threw a rod through the block. I bought my 14 used with 88k on it just over a year ago. Warranty is denying the replacement because I can’t find one of two receipts for oil purchases proving I’ve been changing the oil. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated thanks guys!
Good luck, a friend went threw this a while back.
Same thing, prove you took it to dealer for oil changes then he said he bought oil and had bills plus the labor was done at another shop and he had those receipts. Then they changed it to you had to have been using the wrong grade of fuel.
Prove it lol.
He ended up saying he was filing a court proceeding and contacted a lawyer. 1 week later they told him they were covering the motor.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
See if the store can produce a copy of your receipt. I’d you used a credit or debit card, there’s a record there too.
Been there done that. I can only get the one from last week when I changed it right before the motor let go

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Good luck, a friend went threw this a while back.
Same thing, prove you took it to dealer for oil changes then he said he bought oil and had bills plus the labor was done at another shop and he had those receipts. Then they changed it to you had to have been using the wrong grade of fuel.
Prove it lol.
He ended up saying he was filing a court proceeding and contacted a lawyer. 1 week later they told him they were covering the motor.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
That might end up being my course too. I can’t afford 8k for a new motor. That’s why I bought a warranty lol

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Been there done that. I can only get the one from last week when I changed it right before the motor let go

That’s too bad, the oil change right before failure is going to muddy the waters too. One theory being an error there or bad filter etc. caused it. Alternative theory being the engine had a problem and the oil change was done to try to fix it or cover it up. I’m NOT saying you did that by any means, just that warranty adjusters see all kinds of stuff.

Saw a vid recently by a dealer tech who was on the receiving end of a vehicle that a quickie lube shop had sent out on the road with no oil. Afterwards, the lube shop filled it with oil and sent the customer to the dealership to attempt a warranty claim on the engine.

You may want to go the lawyer route. See how strong your position is, depending on the laws where you live.

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
That’s too bad, the oil change right before failure is going to muddy the waters too. One theory being an error there or bad filter etc. caused it. Alternative theory being the engine had a problem and the oil change was done to try to fix it or cover it up. I’m NOT saying you did that by any means, just that warranty adjusters see all kinds of stuff.

Saw a vid recently by a dealer tech who was on the receiving end of a vehicle that a quickie lube shop had sent out on the road with no oil. Afterwards, the lube shop filled it with oil and sent the customer to the dealership to attempt a warranty claim on the engine.

You may want to go the lawyer route. See how strong your position is, depending on the laws where you live.
That’s not an issue. They have that receipt and have approved it, but from their eyes they think I put almost 12k on the truck before my “first” oil change last week because I can’t produce a receipt

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's one reason I like buying my oil from AMAZON, a receipt can ALWAYS bee accessed.

That is true but be more responsible with your receipts and you won’t have to worry about the place you bought your stuff from being able to produce a receipt any time at a moment’s notice…..lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I have a zippered nylon bag in the lower console with the end flap from the filters, and oil receipts.
I would also think that the accuser would be responsible to prove that the maintenance wasn't done, kind of a 2 way street.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The recommended interval on these trucks according to the oil life meter is longer than 12k as far as I know so not sure what the problem is here. They saying their maintenance requirements exceed the manufacturers?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nevermind. Sometimes I forget about miles vs kms. Find that receipt whatever it takes. As said before if you used interac or a credit card if they can't get you the receipt at least you can find where and purchase date and go to where you had it done to get a copy. Might take a little time and maybe a fee from the vendor, but we'll worth it in this case. My truck is business use so all my receipts are kept organized, but admittedly when that wasn't the case I lost 90% of them so I get it.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
For this very reason, I am meticulous with my vehicles when it comes to service and fuel records.

I track fuel consumption in a spreadsheet for my truck and my wife's Mercedes. Doesn't make much sense with the kids Hondas as they're pretty bulletproof but I've shown them what to do.

I track fuel - when, where, gallons, pictures of receipts, EVIC vs Hand Calculates, tire pressure, etc. Maintenance - when, where, what was done, pictures of receipts, etc.

I've never run into an issue that I couldn't prove what was done and where for a warranty claim.

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Nevermind. Sometimes I forget about miles vs kms. Find that receipt whatever it takes. As said before if you used interac or a credit card if they can't get you the receipt at least you can find where and purchase date and go to where you had it done to get a copy. Might take a little time and maybe a fee from the vendor, but we'll worth it in this case. My truck is business use so all my receipts are kept organized, but admittedly when that wasn't the case I lost 90% of them so I get it.
I’ve produced the receipts for both oil changes I’ve done on it. They still denied my claim stating I had not recorded the vin and mileage at time of change. So my next task is sending the oil from this last change of to black stone to see if it comes back good. If they still deny me I’m off to find an attorney.

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
For this very reason, I am meticulous with my vehicles when it comes to service and fuel records.

I track fuel consumption in a spreadsheet for my truck and my wife's Mercedes. Doesn't make much sense with the kids Hondas as they're pretty bulletproof but I've shown them what to do.

I track fuel - when, where, gallons, pictures of receipts, EVIC vs Hand Calculates, tire pressure, etc. Maintenance - when, where, what was done, pictures of receipts, etc.

I've never run into an issue that I couldn't prove what was done and where for a warranty claim.
From now on that’s what I’ll be doing. I’ve produced the reprint copies of the receipts for oil but they are still denying my claim.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve produced the receipts for both oil changes I’ve done on it. They still denied my claim stating I had not recorded the vin and mileage at time of change. So my next task is sending the oil from this last change of to black stone to see if it comes back good. If they still deny me I’m off to find an attorney.

I don’t know why they’d care about the vin but yeah, the mileage is kind of important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is the reason I get somebody to change it. Paper trail. I do my own every 2nd time because I never go below 50% oil life left so the paper trail still shows it was done in the recommended time only even though it's changed twice as often, but that doesn't matter to me much. After warranty I do it myself unless I'm feeling lazy.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I change my oil & filter at around 6500 miles,irregardless of the 10,000 mile recommended interval, that's usually about 65% on the oil life monitor IIRC. The selling dealer says 5000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf