Any C.B. Guys out there ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Nope, no ham setup. I still got some amateur gear, but it pretty much collects dust. Cobra, yeah, can't go wrong with a good Cobra radio. I got a 29 XLR and 29 GTL. And yes, they too are talkers. I can honestly say, I have way too many radios. I know this, cause my wife tells me so too. lol
Yep, the 148 GTL was a good one too. It too has gone the way of the Dodo.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, the 148 GTL was a good one too. It too has gone the way of the Dodo.
Yeah man, 148 was a talker. Was one of those mobile rigs that a lot of folks tossed on a 20-30 amp power supply and ran as a base station. And they could be seriously modded for channels, swing, audio, and a lot more. Cobra and President led the pack with their 858 PLL radios.

Vintage67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a CB in my old pickup, but not in my Power Wagon. The illegal amplifier chatter out here in Western Colorado and Wyoming off of I-70 and I-80 drowned out our conversations across 3 channels. I'm not sure how the FCC can enforce truckers to comply with the law when they're traveling across states at 80 MPH.
Cb was a useful tool.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
I ran a CB in my work van for years.
Any recommendations for a good CB radio and we’re did u mount it in the truck pics would be awesome. Thanks
I ran a cb in my work van for years. A General Lee pushing a Texas Star 350 High drive. I traveled 1500 to 2500 miles a week. I am also looking into installing this in my 1500. Just have not figured out how to or where to install it yet. Not many places to do it and not look like garbage. I am also in the process of setting up my radio tower and start my base station back up. Looks like all the **** is getting ready to hit the fan here in the USA. CB will be the best coms overall. Wil be like the 70s and CBs

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i worked for the California Dept. of Transportation

We used Motorola Mobiles & Handhelds, they worked on FM Frequencies only
We found the best thing with FM is that one person on the ground could talk to people under ground, even if they were in a concrete or corrugated drain that was several feet below the surface

With AM radios, one person has to stand at the drain entrance & as long as the other person was only 150 - 300 feet inside the culvert, AM would work

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've been using portable ham and cb equipment with my wagon when needed. I also have a sun roof and have had good results with a mag base centered between the sun roof and 3rd break light. Only issue is scratching, as careful as I try to be I always get some.
I've also been looking at 3rd brake light (no drill) mounts that can be used for antennas and lighting. The Larson company in Texas seems to be the biggest player with the most options (https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...ge-ram-1500-permanent-no-drill-mounting-plate) but there are several other companies with similar mounts. Keep in mind our trucks are already 7' tall when stock, adding mounts and antennas can be problematic if you use parking garages, even most home garages are too low. In my area there are even some parkway (cars/passenger plates) overpasses that only have 8' clearances, unexpectedly came across one doing about 65mph at night without any road lighting, scared the hell out of me! :-0
242902.JPG?scale.jpg

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I've been using portable ham and cb equipment with my wagon when needed. I also have a sun roof and have had good results with a mag base centered between the sun roof and 3rd break light. Only issue is scratching, as careful as I try to be I always get some.
I've also been looking at 3rd brake light (no drill) mounts that can be used for antennas and lighting. The Larson company in Texas seems to be the biggest player with the most options (https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...ge-ram-1500-permanent-no-drill-mounting-plate) but there are several other companies with similar mounts. Keep in mind our trucks are already 7' tall when stock, adding mounts and antennas can be problematic if you use parking garages, even most home garages are too low. In my area there are even some parkway (cars/passenger plates) overpasses that only have 8' clearances, unexpectedly came across one doing about 65mph at night without any road lighting, scared the hell out of me! :-0
View attachment 475194
I just looked at the site and they still offer these in several widths for the number of antenna bases you need to stick.

They are very Pricy! $$$ 300 range...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I winced as a hole for my antenna was drilled through my Rams roof.
I have to remove the CB antenna, when i go into a parking garage.

My Sign Rack is also higher than then the truck

1699106988140.png

1699107190318.png

1699107288413.png

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
View attachment 475194

A much less $$$ Pricy solution that will also save on overall height of vehicle clearance. As always, depends on your style and taste in gear....

I do not want to mount anywhere behind the cab (the antenna will always be in my way). I'm thinking of going with a passenger side mounting of the antenna, without the ditch light. I think it will look pretty clean.

Ditch Light Mounting of Antenna(s).
And the Ditch Light extender bracket for adding an antenna if you are going to keep a Ditch Lights also.

1699109142450.png

1699109394881.png

Here is the extender bracket:

NOTE: There is also a Ham antenna bracket avaliable.

1699110242944.png

1699110571061.png

Attachments

• 1699110420091.png
    1699110420091.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A much less $$$ Pricy solution that will also save on overall height of vehicle clearance. As always, depends on your style and taste in gear....

I do not want to mount anywhere behind the cab (the antenna will always be in my way). I'm thinking of going with a passenger side mounting of the antenna, without the ditch light. I think it will look pretty clean.

Ditch Light Mounting of Antenna(s).
And the Ditch Light extender bracket for adding an antenna if you are going to keep a Ditch Lights also.

View attachment 531200

View attachment 531201

Here is the extender bracket:

NOTE: There is also a Ham antenna bracket avaliable.

View attachment 531202

View attachment 531205

It's a good spot, I chose the driver side so it wasn't on the same side as the radio antenna.
1000002546.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you tell me how you routed the antenna wire?

Thanks.
Sure, I ran it down with the led pod wires through the cowl area and then through the firewall at the clutch opening with the power wires for the radio and control wires for the light switch panel, using one of @NH Overland plugs from here. Then it went over the pedal area and across underneath the center console and I have the radio mounted by the knee of the passenger side, so the antenna wire and power wires come out from the small angled trim piece up underneath near the glovebox.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Sure, I ran it down with the led pod wires through the cowl area and then through the firewall at the clutch opening with the power wires for the radio and control wires for the light switch panel, using one of @NH Overland plugs from here. Then it went over the pedal area and across underneath the center console and I have the radio mounted by the knee of the passenger side, so the antenna wire and power wires come out from the small angled trim piece up underneath near the glovebox.
Got it. Thanks. Basically what I am going to do.

I went by our metal fab shop at the Lab today and picked up some scrap ~ 24 gauge sheeting to make some custom mounts for my radio. I also am installing a Painless 7 circuit (3 constant and 4 switch) fuse block. All that will end up somewhere under the dash to the right of the steering column.

Appreciate your confirmation that I'm not missing any "sexy" tricks that are out of the common approach.

Best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963