Any C.B. Guys out there ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most guys seem to prefer the kenwood. I have a TAD and like it, but it's over 10 years old. I wired a power point into my lower center console and just leave the radio in there. Have to open the lid to see the channel I'm on, but prefer not to have the radio out in the open.I also install my radio in other vehicles at times so I just run a mag mount antenna on the roof when I need it.i stick that in the lower console as well when not needed along with the Mic.Just thread the antenna off the mount and stash that behind the rear seat.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here in the US, can't go wrong with a Cobra 25 LTD, it's a smaller version of the venerable 29 and given space in this truck is at a premium, would be ideal if all you want is basic radio to communicate short distances while on the road (or trail) Even more compact the Cobra 75 and 19. 2-way radio performance is heavily dependent on antenna, placement, and proper tuning, even with an inexpensive radio. If you're not willing to drill a hole in the body and do proper ground and bonding, your radio performance will be compromised. Don't cheap out on antenna either, go with Laird or Larsen antenna and place the antenna centered on the roof, unless you're willing to hang a whip off the truck bed on a good quality ball mount and spring. Mag mounts, glass mounts, stake pocket mounts, fender mounts, etc are all compromises. It'll make the difference being to able TX/RX a couple of hundred of feet, or not at all, instead of a couple of miles. If you want to step up into SSB, then a Galaxy DX959 is pretty sweet.

Beyond the CB realm are GMRS and amateur radio (both require FCC license), altogether another topic.

Not sure of Canadian laws on what can legally operate on different spectrum bands. You might be able to get away with an "export" radio that can do AM/FM/SSB in Canada and without a license. Last time I checked, export radios are illegal in the US for use on 11 meter band (CB), even with an amateur license.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
skip the cb and go with a gmrs way better transmission and you can have private channels with you and your buds. I get many miles with a low priced midland mx105. I have a buddy that lives at least 6 air miles with a city between us and he has a 105 too and we can talk clear as a bell. Another buddy lives about 14 miles with a mountain between us and he has a 115 midland and we can talk.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have a CB in my old pickup, but not in my Power Wagon. The illegal amplifier chatter out here in Western Colorado and Wyoming off of I-70 and I-80 drowned out our conversations across 3 channels. I'm not sure how the FCC can enforce truckers to comply with the law when they're traveling across states at 80 MPH.

rick1201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most guys seem to prefer the kenwood. I have a TAD and like it, but it's over 10 years old. I wired a power point into my lower center console and just leave the radio in there. Have to open the lid to see the channel I'm on, but prefer not to have the radio out in the open.I also install my radio in other vehicles at times so I just run a mag mount antenna on the roof when I need it.i stick that in the lower console as well when not needed along with the Mic.Just thread the antenna off the mount and stash that behind the rear seat.
skip the cb and go with a gmrs way better transmission and you can have private channels with you and your buds. I get many miles with a low priced midland mx105. I have a buddy that lives at least 6 air miles with a city between us and he has a 105 too and we can talk clear as a bell. Another buddy lives about 14 miles with a mountain between us and he has a 115 midland and we can talk.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it mostly comes down to personal preference. Things I've come to learn through the years. CB's simply never go out of style. CBing is survival of the fittest. And if you buy cheap gear, chances are, you won't be heard from ever again. And to think, I've been doing this CB stuff since 23 channel radios were the "in thing". lol

Amateur radio. Yeah, I did that once. Then they multi classed the tickets by dropping the code portion of the test (AFTER I busted my butt to learn it no less). Then you have to deal with repeaters, or those god syndrome suffering individuals who run/own them. Most times, these would be the same folks who run radio groups. Yeah, easy to hard pass on that. But I did keep my TS 570 D/G. :)

GMRS/FRS. It all boils down to wideband/narrowband UHF FM communications. FRS, be within a mile to hold a conversation. GRMS, fixed station use functions. Mobile or handheld, real limited. More limited with buildings and terrain in the way. Yeah, pass on this one too.

CB radio, it truly is the melting pot of communications. You have kiddies, truckers, old timers, newbies, competition groups. You even got lot lizards. CB's simply never go out of style. Because everyone, at some point and time, wants to run one. The finer details of CB's? They can easily cover a lot of real estate. EASILY. And the band, can take pretty much whatever you throw at it. CB's can be as much fun, as they can be frustrating. Face it, some folks are really cool. Some, seriously suck. THAT is the CB band in a nutshell!

Me, I'm cool with my CB stuff. I'm also cool with over 220 countries confirmed from my mobile setup on the 11 meter band... Shows I covered some serious real estate... :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I ran power on a base station back in the mid 70s
I belonged to a group that was called the Channel 7 Renegades
I also ran mobile with a little kick to it, just enough to char the tip of a firestick
We had a Turkey Hunt every week, you find the Turkey by tracking their signal, the Turkey can't drive anywhere & they had to transmit when asked a question
Around 15 years later i sold all of my equipment

In 2003 i started up a business & by State & Federal Rules & Regs, i Must have a CB in my vehicle.

This is one of those for export only CBs, its a Ranger 6900 F150
I bought it Refurbished in 2009

jDbXmd.jpg

If this CB goes bad, i have 3 other CBs that are this size
2 of them i bought because they have SSB
I also had a lot of Points built up at a Truck Stop chain, that made the price right.

Uniden BEARCAT 980 40- Channel SSB CB Radio with Sideband NOAA WeatherBand​

Uniden PC78LTX 40-Channel Trucker's CB Radio with Integrated SWR Meter,​

Then i have this little CB, it only has 3 knobs, strictly a beginners toy
Uniden PRO-510XL

Then i have a few cbs that i have as loaners, for truck drivers & highway patrol

Cobra 75 WX ST, i would never buy another one

then i have 3 or 4 handheld cbs
made by Uniden & Midland

Then i have a set of 2 way radios, whatever they are, never used

Last edited:

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm watching this one!
I've got a CB and 2M Ham in my Land Cruiser. I have a Uniden CMX760 on a FireStick that works great. I only really use is for trail ride coordination.
I think I'll go with another Uniden concealable as all the controls are on the mic and everything else is tucked away. All you see is the mic and cord.
Trying to figure out what to do as far as antenna placement with the Power Wagon. I have a sunroof so the rooftop could be a challenge. With all the cameras, Bed Rail behind the cab would also not work.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it mostly comes down to personal preference. Things I've come to learn through the years. CB's simply never go out of style. CBing is survival of the fittest. And if you buy cheap gear, chances are, you won't be heard from ever again. And to think, I've been doing this CB stuff since 23 channel radios were the "in thing". lol

Amateur radio. Yeah, I did that once. Then they multi classed the tickets by dropping the code portion of the test (AFTER I busted my butt to learn it no less). Then you have to deal with repeaters, or those god syndrome suffering individuals who run/own them. Most times, these would be the same folks who run radio groups. Yeah, easy to hard pass on that. But I did keep my TS 570 D/G. :)

GMRS/FRS. It all boils down to wideband/narrowband UHF FM communications. FRS, be within a mile to hold a conversation. GRMS, fixed station use functions. Mobile or handheld, real limited. More limited with buildings and terrain in the way. Yeah, pass on this one too.

CB radio, it truly is the melting pot of communications. You have kiddies, truckers, old timers, newbies, competition groups. You even got lot lizards. CB's simply never go out of style. Because everyone, at some point and time, wants to run one. The finer details of CB's? They can easily cover a lot of real estate. EASILY. And the band, can take pretty much whatever you throw at it. CB's can be as much fun, as they can be frustrating. Face it, some folks are really cool. Some, seriously suck. THAT is the CB band in a nutshell!

Me, I'm cool with my CB stuff. I'm also cool with over 220 countries confirmed from my mobile setup on the 11 meter band... Shows I covered some serious real estate... :)
I used to be deep into CB stuff in the 70's, before went into Military. Just had a standard Cobra "screwed" into the dash, and a slight boost, so I was good for a few miles, with CB being line of sight and all. Nothing like that in the pretty truck but My Honda MC does have a CB built in. Bike is a year when still done on the Gold Wings, and OK,. Just a small unit built into Harmon Radio but I monitor when on Highway. Heck, Is still remember my Call Sign/letters from when U had to have a license Many Moons ago. (Johnny B: U got yerself a nice Ham setup?)...

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the suggestions mainly I want it to run back logging roads were you need to call out your mile markers. A few people have died over the years from hitting logging trucks

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to be deep into CB stuff in the 70's, before went into Military. Just had a standard Cobra "screwed" into the dash, and a slight boost, so I was good for a few miles, with CB being line of sight and all. Nothing like that in the pretty truck but My Honda MC does have a CB built in. Bike is a year when still done on the Gold Wings, and OK,. Just a small unit built into Harmon Radio but I monitor when on Highway. Heck, Is still remember my Call Sign/letters from when U had to have a license Many Moons ago. (Johnny B: U got yerself a nice Ham setup?)...
Nope, no ham setup. I still got some amateur gear, but it pretty much collects dust. Cobra, yeah, can't go wrong with a good Cobra radio. I got a 29 XLR and 29 GTL. And yes, they too are talkers. I can honestly say, I have way too many radios. I know this, cause my wife tells me so too. lol

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm watching this one!
I've got a CB and 2M Ham in my Land Cruiser. I have a Uniden CMX760 on a FireStick that works great. I only really use is for trail ride coordination.
I think I'll go with another Uniden concealable as all the controls are on the mic and everything else is tucked away. All you see is the mic and cord.
Trying to figure out what to do as far as antenna placement with the Power Wagon. I have a sunroof so the rooftop could be a challenge. With all the cameras, Bed Rail behind the cab would also not work.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
I feel your pain. I have been looking at a few different types of setups. But, most know, center of roofline is the best radiation for a signal. The link below actually will place the antenna in a position that will have a weak spot to the rear of the truck. But, even center of roof will have a weak spot in the rear end for signal. I can't drill for rooftop because of the sun/moon roof. So, this is the cost effective move for me. Hope this helps your search too...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the suggestions mainly I want it to run back logging roads were you need to call out your mile markers. A few people have died over the years from hitting logging trucks
That's why I have mine. Just for the resource roads. Next time I think I'll just get a hand held Motorola 7550 programmed. I know a few guys that have them and the range is good enough to hear who's coming in plenty of time and easier to pack around. Add a car charger in case I forget to turn it off or charge it ahead of time and I can take it out camping or quading etc in my bag. Pricey though.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Cobra 25 LTD as well. They make the CHROME model too but it's like a mirror of course, lol, You'll regret it if the sun can hit it. I did.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you are on the logging roads quite often
Just pull into any truck stop along that network of roads & ask any Pilot Car driver what they believe to be the best radio to have.

When the truckers & the pilot car drivers take a break
They discuss the screw ups & the road ahead, they tell tall tales, they talk about the weather & they discuss the quality of everyones radios