Any DIY under seat storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, so every time rear seat moved box/frame move? Hmmmmm. Interesting for sure. Are there any mount/frame points that are accessible ref the rails, they have to be mounted somehow, hmmmmmm...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bolt holes for the brackets, it appears that the standard rear seat attaches differently than the reclining version. The reclining version rides on rails as the standard version attaches directly to the floor.
Sent U a pm, looking for info.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Yes, that is the way mine is made as well. Here's a photo that appears to show a shortened factory storage system on one with the reclining seats like ours. Levers visible in the center top of the seat bottoms both allows the seats to raise up (as shown) but also allow them to recline forward or back. When test-driving the truck, it took me a while to figure this out after I noticed the rails while looking below the backseat.

UnderseatStorage05.jpg

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
This is what I suspected! While at the local Ram dealer this morning having the chrome side moldings installed, I talked to the girl at the parts counter about under seat storage. She looked up the ones specific to my truck by VIN. And guess what? There was not an under seat storage option for it. Turns out, RAM probably never made these for the 5th Gen RAM 1500 with reclining back seats. o_O

That means the photo I posted above is likely not right. It's probably just for a RAM photo shoot before the trucks came out in 2019. If someone out there has the 5th Gen Ram with reclining back seats and factory under seat storage, please let us know. Otherwise, my theory holds for now. ;)

PS: According to 14 Lonestar, the great guy at Datin Fabrication is working to make a factory-similar under seat storage bin that will fit our trucks with the reclining back seats. If successful, he and I should get the first ones.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If someone out there has the 5th Gen Ram with reclining back seats and factory under seat storage, please let us know. Otherwise, my theory holds for now. ;)

I have a 21 longhorn with reclining seats that has the storage area like the picture you posted above. Just used part of it the other day, and I use the smaller section (drivers side) to keep some change of clothes/shoes etc.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I have a 21 longhorn with reclining seats that has the storage area like the picture you posted above. Just used part of it the other day, and I use the smaller section (drivers side) to keep some change of clothes/shoes etc.
Well, that blows my theory. But it's good news. So guess the brackets for your back seats have the holes for the pins?

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
It's a very sad day in Under Seat Container Storage Paradise. :mad:

Three things have been bothering me about adding OEM under seat storage to our new 2021 Laramie.

1. The dealer parts department says the storage option is unavailable for our VIN.

2. The Datin Metal Fabrication aftermarket version would not fit due to the reclining rear seat mechanism being different, even though the OEM version seems to fit many reclining seat DT Rams.

3. Our truck has absolutely no visible holes on the seat supports for this.

Here's the reason........ THEY CHANGED THE DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the photo below showing under seat storage on a Ram with reclining rear seats. Notice the part circled in red.

UnderseatStorage.jpg

Now look at that same piece in our truck. It's not shaped the same.

UnderseatStorage2.jpg

Notice how on this Ram with reclining seats, the plates that allow the storage bin to slide are bolted to the inside of this structure.

UnderseatStorage4.jpg

Now see our that structure looks on our truck.

UnderseatStorage3.jpg

*** More in the next thread ***

Attachments

• UnderseatStorage2.jpg
    UnderseatStorage2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Here is the layout for the under seat container storage. Notice there are no replacements for those seat support structures. And notice where the boltholes are.

UnderseatStorage6.jpg

Here's a removed OEM storage bin. It looks exactly the same.

UnderseatStorage5.jpg

I now believe that the OEM under seat container storage WILL NOT FIT MY 2021 LARAMIE because the seat supports (or at least the covers for them) are made differently. To get a factory fit, I'm going to need more parts. At least the right plastic covers. At worst, different seat supports. :confused:

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
If anyone knows the part numbers for those plastic covers for the seat supports, please let me know. It may be possible to just trade them out if the support are made the same below. I will have to remove the back seats to check.

Due to the difficult with all of this, Rlaf75's $15 solution is becoming more and more attractive. If I can find some poly boards the right size, I may give up on the "factory-ish" solution. But we will have to see. ;)