Any downsides to having step bars? PW don't come with 'em

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
When I get my Power Wagon I would like to add some step in bars or step in boards.

But I am wondering why the PW don't come with 'em. Is there some sort of reason I am not thinking about.........like are they bad for off roading?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ground clearance
They can limit some obstacle angles

They typically don't Take getting smashed and bashed well either

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
They will hang down a few inches, so you might lose just a tad bit of clearance, but I would rather hit the steps than hit the cab. If you are serious about off roading, then I would look into a set of rock rails that have steps built in. These will take the abuse if you were to land on them without doing any damage to the cab.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
^^^^
What they said

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. Ground clearance is the biggest issue. But all ya gotta do is raise the truck. :D

I find having them is pretty handy.

SB13_zpsd245e71e.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I am not a big fan of the look of steps, but I spend alot of time on the beach and it is nice to be able to step on the bars and clean your feet off before getting in the truck.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Looks like they gotcha covered! Haha. Basically, decide on how much off roading you'll be doing to decide if you want to get the steps.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yea x3 on the rock sliders add(addictive desert design) makes a really nice set for are trucks.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yea x3 on the rock sliders add(addictive desert design) makes a really nice set for are trucks.

These are nice. Only thing I didn't like about them is that they mount to the pinch weld, not the frame. And for the price, I'm sure you could find a local weld shop to custom make you some.

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen some large trucks run electric retractable steps. There when you need them, out of the way when you don't.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think electric steps (AMP powerboards) would be too off road friendly. Well, I guess it depends what kind of off roading he's talking about.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
These are nice. Only thing I didn't like about them is that they mount to the pinch weld, not the frame. And for the price, I'm sure you could find a local weld shop to custom make you some.

I took a look at some rock sliders pictures online. They look like they are there for protection.........are they hard to get a firm step on? They look hard to get your foot on.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took a look at some rock sliders pictures online. They look like they are there for protection.........are they hard to get a firm step on? They look hard to get your foot on.

If you have a place custom fab you some, then you can have them design in a step that suits you. I don't want anything hanging down, so when mine are made, they will just be wide enough to step on.

This is kinda what I want, except it will have one continuous step, not three separate ones:
B.I.T. Products Rock Sliders and Step Bars

This guy is near me and I have already talked to him. Would be about $1k for him to make some for my '12 Wagon. I will probably end up just making my own.

Texas Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As stated already, there are a couple ways to look at it:
If you have em they may give your body some protection, but they also reduce your clearance so you may be causing a clearance problem by adding them. I did some minor off-roading and here's what happened to me. I wanted to pull em off anyway because I don't like the look, this gave me a good excuse.
7751-4E2E-997F-1727E999D7AC-70804-00000D93EADC2658.jpg

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd have to do some hardcore off roading in mine to worry about the N-Fab step bars.
I've had it in some pretty nasty terrain at the deer lease,and haven't come close to dragging the steps off it.
But like others have said,I'd rather damage the step bar,than the body of the truck.

001-1.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you have a place custom fab you some, then you can have them design in a step that suits you. I don't want anything hanging down, so when mine are made, they will just be wide enough to step on.

This is kinda what I want, except it will have one continuous step, not three separate ones:
B.I.T. Products Rock Sliders and Step Bars

This guy is near me and I have already talked to him. Would be about $1k for him to make some for my '12 Wagon. I will probably end up just making my own.

It might be worth contacting white knuckle off road an see if their sliders could be modified for a 4th gen
The shipping cost would probably put you right around the $1000 range still

shoff95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get you a set of Amp Power Steps. When they retract, you can't even see them because they tuck up against the bottom of the cab. Very little loss of ground clearence and it makes it much easier to get into the truck.

With that being said, if you are going to be tackling serious off road trails (crawling over boulders) :) you may notwant the Amp Steps. They aren't cheap and you can damage them pretty easily.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated already, there are a couple ways to look at it:
If you have em they may give your body some protection, but they also reduce your clearance so you may be causing a clearance problem by adding them. I did some minor off-roading and here's what happened to me. I wanted to pull em off anyway because I don't like the look, this gave me a good excuse.
7751-4E2E-997F-1727E999D7AC-70804-00000D93EADC2658.jpg

This above but there are pros and cons. I like them for truck access, I would have Off Road type if I was gonna do serious off roading or no bars at all. But U are talking Apples vs Oranges, Like stock with rail vs lifted, bigger tires, suspension, 2 different types of moving down the road, IMHO.....