Any former Toyota 4x4 guys here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upland80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,
I've always loved the Power Wagon! Pretty rare truck to see cruising around and I'll typically crane my neck to check them out when I spot one. I've been a Toyota loyalist for the pst 25 years. Land Cruisers, Tacos, Tundras, Lexus, etc. I'm going to branch out and get a PW in the next few weeks. Curious about the reliability on these beasts. Any former Toyota guys make the switch to Dodge care to comment on the overall reliability?

Also, is the gen 5 a Huuuge difference over the gen 4? Looking at buying a slightly used one as the 2016 model is quite a bit cheaper but I'll hold out for a 2019 if it's that much better.
TIA :happy160:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck finding one they go quick and especially now with everyone wanting to build one for this big ”Overlanding” craze taking over. Got my ‘12 and love it, I had my ‘99 2500 HD loved it. Never considered a Toyota truck although I have friends that swear by them. I’d do a 4Runner but that’s about it. So far a reliability it all depends on how you wheel it and maintain it, Some front drag link issues and listen for the exhaust tick on start up, and any lifter tick. Besides that they are beasts off road and do everything they’re made to do.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The 8 speed tranny in 2019 is a huge improvement.

Now this will arouse some passions, but as someone who has owned a lot of 4x4’s Chrysler is not in the same league reliability wise as Toys.

I’ve bought them all, GM, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Toy, Nissan, Hummer. Jeeps before and after Chrysler/FCA. Dodges before and after the Germans and Italians. I don’t hate on any of them, that’s just silly some of the brand loyalty or disparagement you see at times. I LOVE the PW. In fact I have always found the Ram trucks to appeal to me more than most.

If reliability was my most important attribute, I wouldn’t own this truck. That’s just my opinion.

I DO own it because I enjoy it. And on the trail or the interstate, it’ll outperform anything TRD has offered.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My third Land Cruiser is a 2013... and I have a 2021 PW 75th Aniv on order. You will get no argument from me that Toyota has some great engineering and quality. They absolutely do. They also have lost their ability to build vehicles people are passionate about. Jeep/Ram doesn't have to build the best vehicles, they just have to build what people want. And as other's have said, the delta in quality between brands is becoming smaller and smaller. CAD design, CNC machining, common parts suppliers have weeded away a lot of the differentiation.

And to be fair to Ram, the Land Cruiser - the pinnacle of Toyota trucks - has been far from problem free. Radiator, Starter, Cam Tower Leaks, etc. There's nothing man made that is perfect.

OTHO, I completely admit that I'm going into this PW a bit skittish. After owning 20 some vehicles (Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infinity, BMW, and Mercedes) I've never owned a domestic. This is a big move for me. It's the absolute perfect truck for my purposes (family of 5 + dog, high trail use, frequent Home Depot supply runs). I really hope it doesn't let me down...

Annotation 2020-10-26 192106.jpg

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Totally the best choice, if towing not where your focus is, it is the most versatile trimmed truck of any major brand. as for the 4th or 5th gen question, I've really modded my 2015, from Center Console shifting, Push button start, UAQ replacement, 2019 Taillights, and so on, I don't feel bad about doing it I rather enjoy the modding, however if I had, had a chance to get a 5th Gen with a 12" screen and other standard features I would of in a split sec. Good luck in your search, may you find the one that speaks to you ....and a early welcome to the PW Club

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2019 Tundra that I had Rci skids and Toytec boss aluma series and I traded it on a 17 Powerwagon. I love the Powerwagon and Tundra. I would say check it thoroughly before purchase and definitely push for the 8spd this 66rfe is trash. Tundra has crazy reliability, but lacks lockers, trans cooler (in 19 and newer), and doesn’t come with a winch. As where the Powerwagon does.

8A055991-BF29-47C1-8D3B-F74F56AA9792.jpeg

Last edited:

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, I have had 5 Tacoma's, 3 trucks, 1 4runner and 1 Tundra over the years. I had TRD superchargers on 3 of them. I agree on the comments that Toyota has lost their way in building exciting vehicles. They have also regressed on their reliability. My 2017 Tacoma was a big disappointment.

The PW is my 1st FCA vehicle and I was a bit nervous. Everything the PW comes with made it worth to me. I did have a seal replaced on the transmission but otherwise has been great. I have a Four Wheel Camper on order and should be getting it in the spring.

20181008_125742.jpg

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I have had 5 Tacoma's, 3 trucks, 1 4runner and 1 Tundra over the years. I had TRD superchargers on 3 of them. I agree on the comments that Toyota has lost their way in building exciting vehicles. They have also regressed on their reliability. My 2017 Tacoma was a big disappointment.

The PW is my 1st FCA vehicle and I was a bit nervous. Everything the PW comes with made it worth to me. I did have a seal replaced on the transmission but otherwise has been great. I have a Four Wheel Camper on order and should be getting it in the spring.

View attachment 225672
Agreed the Tundra is a really awesome rig but no lockers really upset me, nothing can replace a true locker, I find this as the biggest disappointment with the Tundra.

OP
OP
U

Upland80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed the Tundra is a really awesome rig but no lockers really upset me, nothing can replace a true locker, I find this as the biggest disappointment with the Tundra.
It is frustrating to not have a true locker in a truck. ARB makes one for the Tundra, but that's an expensive add on. Building up a Tundra like a Power Wagon is an option, but a huge money drain. That's what's really attractive about the PW...ready to go out of the box. I just need to be sure all the components on the PW will function properly for 150K miles to justify the investment.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is frustrating to not have a true locker in a truck. ARB makes one for the Tundra, but that's an expensive add on. Building up a Tundra like a Power Wagon is an option, but a huge money drain. That's what's really attractive about the PW...ready to go out of the box. I just need to be sure all the components on the PW will function properly for 150K miles to justify the investment.
There is a E-locker available now for tundra but it’s still very expensive.

TBONE 2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this 2018 tradesmen power wagon package Just to see if it can out
perform my 2007 tundra which has ARB Lockers , 9,500 LB super winch , 4-30 gears , air bags, 295x70x18 tires, Limited edition And I will not sell my tundra.For I hear so many things about the Hemi engines. And yes my tundra does keep up 4 wheeling adventures With the my ram .my tundra has a better turn Radius for 4 wheeling and around town but I do like the looks of my Ram.

OP
OP
U

Upland80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's at best a mediocre half ton truck with a good engine. Leaf spring rear, highly dated interior, deleted trans cooler in later years, electronics from when Obama was president... And my Land Cruiser has more payload capacity than the Tundra! I won't dispute that they will last a long time... but then you'll just own a mediocre truck for a long time... And this comment is coming from a lifetime Toyota guy.

It's really unfortunate that Toyota doesn't put more passion into their machines. The discipline in engineering and business modeling has left no room for the 'Oh What a Feeling' days of the 80's when they were really leading with innovation. Now they just make really good appliances. And they're killing off the Land Cruiser this year (2021 is the last in the American market, will still be sold globally).

In the Toyota circles we've scratched our heads for years at how Jeep can sell up to a quarter million Wranglers per year while Toyota refuses to bring in a world vehicle that they already have to compete (the 70 Series). They feel that vehicle would cannibalize from highly profitable 4Runner sales. And yet FCA is selling the pants off the Wrangler... and has satisfied the need of a passionate crowd of users.

The good news is the Lexus brand provides some really good platforms in the used market. The LX570 is just a re-badged 200 Series Land Cruiser and the GX is a Prado 150 (same global platform as the 4Runner) with nice leather. Both are still made in Japan and are of very high quality. They build up pretty nicely and have deep aftermarket support.

I would say "mediocre" is a little harsh. The Tundra is a good but not great truck for the reasons you listed IMO. I had one when they first came out in 2007...very powerful from my memory (forced to sell due to recession). I have a lifted GX470 and 80 series now. My wife drives the GX and I will be selling off the Prius and 80 for most likely the PW. On the side of the Tundra is the rear roll down window, which is fantastic for a shell addition and the huge fuel tank. Tough picking a new truck because it's a huge chunk of money and at least a 10 year commitment for me...I keep my vehicles a long time!
80 2.jpg

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, in 2007 they came out with a great truck... the problem is it's 2021 model year and they haven't changed much. Yeah new grill, new tailgate and some mild interior updates. No 'killer app' investments to distinguish it from 2007. If anything, the pre-2018 models are more desirable.

And I acknowledge there is a real possibility that I will be singing a different song if my 2021 sours my belief in current Ram quality... I have some tolerance for trips to the dealer, but that tolerance is admittedly very low. If the Ram learns the route to the dealer too well then I'll really have to be in love with it to keep it...

This was my first build, a 2000.

1.JPG

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I feel like you will be happier with the power wagon 2019 model and up. The 8 speed is very nice and super quiet inside like luxury vehicle.. granted I have had issues with my PW, it’s nothing that would make me want to sell it per se..I still own a tundra 2006 model for last 15 years, only issue I’ve ever had is the rear end, most likely lack of maintenance.

so for whatever it’s worth, I knew I wasn’t buying a Toyota when I got the wagon, and so far I have been happy with it. I do all my own maintenance and I expect the wagon to last. However, I do not expect it to be my Toyota when it comes reliability.

I can list the issues I’ve had as a daily driver with 25k miles on it if you want.

warwickram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 16 tundra TRD pro. great truck but was lacking a lot of options my PW has for almost the same price. i understand some people dont want heated seat ,auto headlights, power pass seat etc but the price should be cheaper. The gas mileage is not much better then a 2500 power wagon

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 07 TRD 4x4 Tundra with tow package was great until it wasn't. Killer power, comfortable drive, good daily driver.

Then the rear end went out. Replaced it twice at my own expense.

My 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn may not do better, but there is currently hope.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk