Any Known TSB on ram lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Final Approach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.5 hemi
@RamCares is a member of this forum. They've known all about the Hemi design error for many years.
Yet FCA says nothing. Shows how poorly the corporation treats customers.
I believe it was @Tach_tech who stated observed lifter / cam failure rates as a % of hemi sales at his dealership was in the 5-10% range. That's a huge number of major engine failures. Many TSBs are issued for <1%. However - TSBs are often safety related, and these failures probably aren't in that category.
That is a big number and likely does not include repairs done by independent shops and DIY mechanics

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have to agree with Rlaf75. Should be bulletproof by now as well as the 3.6. While I like my Ram, after lifter failure at 49K, it is my last Mopar product. Nick

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would have to agree with Rlaf75. Should be bulletproof by now as well as the 3.6. While I like my Ram, after lifter failure at 49K, it is my last Mopar product. Nick
you and me both, had lots of vehicles, nothing like this. I'm not a HP junky, or maybe the juice is worth the squeeze.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t say as I only have 37,000 miles on my truck but I had nasty tick and nasty startup tick on my truck new. It was really really bad. I tried redline at around 7,000 miles because the dealer oil change at 5000 miles had made the tick even worse. Redline nearly 100% got rid of the tick. I ran redline 5w30 to 15000 with no issues. Did an oil change with redline 5w30 again to about 22000 miles and 0 issues. Switched to PUP 5w30 with 0 issues. Changed at 30,000 and again at 36,000 with pup 5w30 and 0 issues. Whatever crap oil the dealer uses I’m pretty sure is part of the issue and I’m going to guess that 5w20 may be part of the problem as well since it thins out more than the 5w30.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ford with my father is having issues. Eco crap motor. GM is that of a mass produced load of crap. Maintain your ram and then you reap th efforts you put in. Speaking from a Hemi with 140k. Everything since 60k is on me or my dad for two years when had it. Sold it at 86k to my dad it made servereal long trip and a lot of idling. Nothing to get worried about. Dont jump ship. I either got unicorn truck or I just did things right. There is reason my truck won’t go on forever.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That is a big number and likely does not include repairs done by independent shops and DIY mechanics

Yeah I'm thinking about the failure rate in terms of % of all Hemi-equipped Rams built. And yet, Chrysler and then FCA tried to band aid it at first, then gave up because at this point the engine is too late in its lifecycle to redesign properly.

And guess who pays for those high expense failures under warranty? You, me, and all the other owners in the inflated purchase price to cover their failure costs.
Heckuva deal, isn't it?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford with my father is having issues. Eco crap motor. GM is that of a mass produced load of crap. Maintain your ram and then you reap th efforts you put in. Speaking from a Hemi with 140k. Everything since 60k is on me or my dad for two years when had it. Sold it at 86k to my dad it made servereal long trip and a lot of idling. Nothing to get worried about. Dont jump ship. I either got unicorn truck or I just did things right. There is reason my truck won’t go on forever.
My company vehicle is a 2019 gmc 2500 6.0l with a 6l transmission. Just went in for a new transmission due to hard shifts and random stuttering. They replaced the trans and in the process messed up a wiring harness that they ended up replacing. I still have issues with the truck and now it’ll hesitate on acceleration and still has random stuttering issues. Has 24,000 miles on it. My company has a few Ford transits that are due for the driveshaft recall that are now not driveable because the driveshaft bearing is on back order.

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all engines fail, trust me GM's fail ALOT...fords also.

Morons with rams(turning on and off the tow mode(just asking to break it), monkeying around different oil viscosities) are all making it worse and Ram is supposed to help those guys? They put out bulletins about monkeying around with oil viscosity yet morons watch dumb internet videos and STILL do it.

and the trucks failing are a decade old, beat on(i love how everyone is like "oh perfect oil changes!, never used roughly!"...) I'm sure some do but LS's fail just like Hemis mainly from roller lifter failures...

Honestly if your truly worried, have them replaced with the AD new versions. Taking the heads off isn't that big of job.

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this bulletin is more about "procedure" and what needs to be fixed when the lifter locks up in the bore... its not about all the ways a lifter can die

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer advised me there is a TSB on the 5.7.
The dealer said the 6.4 lifter problem is not as problematic.
I left my 2018 Ram Rebel at the dealer for three weeks to see if they could replicate the lifter problem. They started the truck each week. Problem was not replicated.
I traded it in for a 21 Ram. Truck has 938 miles and I have it for six months so far.
I recorded the lifter noise last week. Was tapping for 15 minutes before it would quiet down.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chrysler accepts the lowest bid for parts manufacturing. They know the lifters used in the engines are of poor quality and design, but, money talks! My wifes 2019 RAM 1500 (in my picture) is going back on September 13 for a knocking & ticking issue. They act like, "Hmmmm, we've never encountered a ticking Hemi before"...........Their paid to act ignorant to an ongoing internal engine issue. My wifes 2011 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi had complete Hydraulic Lifter failure. The camshaft was destroyed, metal shaving went throughout the engine, destroying the main bearings and cam bearings. (CHRYSLER DON'T CARE - THEY ARE FULLY AWARE OF THIS CONTINUAL ONGOING LIFTER ISSUE)

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mudskipper all engines do not fail. Some do if the operator abuses them (racing or fail to change the oil/filter on schedule).
I was a mechanic for 50 years. Worked on MOPARS and FORDS.
I have seen NYC taxi cabs run to 300,000 miles without an engine failure. The owners were told to replace the timing chain and gears at 100,000. These guys dropped the oil every 3,000 miles.
Any vehicle taken care of will last. Abused the vehicle will fail.
There is no justification calling anyone a ***** on this site.
We are all sharing our experiences with the RAM TRUCKS.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can folks with the lifetime Mopar warranty tell us about your experiences in trying to get your dealers to address this issue? Have your dealers authorized cam and lifter replacements for bad ticking, or only after the cams and/or lifters have failed?

The reason I ask is that I have the lifetime warranty and I have bad ticking but I’ve been putting off bringing it to the shop as I feel like I’ll be wasting my time. I’m tired of hearing it’s “operating as designed” and “can’t replicate the problem”. And I also would not be surprised to hear them take the position that they’ve never heard of this issue. I feel like this will be a colossal waste of time to try to get Ram to do something prior to any mechanical failures (unless it’s broken manifold bolts which would be a post failure scenario). It’s unfortunate but it’s just the reality.

I may have missed it but has anyone mentioned that Ram has authorized cam and lifter replacements prior to failure?

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrysler accepts the lowest bid for parts manufacturing.

thats a load of cr@p... sorry but you dont know what your talking about..

These lifters come out of Germany... ALL lifters have been the current 2022 design(AD hellcat lifters since 2016). That is the final revision. Now I do think the 2010-11 to 2013 during the bankruptcy might have had some quality issues.

The AD lifters had some extra reliefs cut in them to stop a vacuum issue with might be related to ticking. But the GMs will tick also. My 5.3 Chevy does it when it sits a bit because of the seating of the pushrods in the top of the lifter... if one stop where it doesnt maintain pressure it can drain a bit and takes time to fill back up fill

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No TSB needed, Well all know about it and its a super easy fix.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Morons with rams(turning on and off the tow mode(just asking to break it), monkeying around different oil viscosities) are all making it worse and Ram is supposed to help those guys? They put out bulletins about monkeying around with oil viscosity yet morons watch dumb internet videos and STILL do it.

I run redline 5w-30 (she's nice and thick too, none of that pale watery stuff for my girl), and I permanently run with ECO mode off.

Are you going to be OK or should we put the defibrillator on standby for ya?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
@RamCares is a member of this forum. They've known all about the Hemi design error for many years.
Yet FCA says nothing. Shows how poorly the corporation treats customers.
Not a design error, rather a material's related issue on their supplier side. Good for them that they can blame someone else if need be. I think that they lowered the build quality once Cerberus took over Chrysler before they ransacked it and sold it to FIAT.

To reinforce my statement, watch this video. If you don't want to watch the entire thing, then please start at 4:08:

The video shows a Hemi out of a 2003 RAM 1500, with 196K miles on it. The engine was abused and neglected, sludged up, with spun bearings and a rod through the block. But guess what, every single lifter is intact and oiled!

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I run redline 5w-30 (she's nice and thick too, none of that pale watery stuff for my girl), and I permanently run with ECO mode off.
I switched to Red Line as well, and I love it. I put a few hundred miles on it, and my Hemi purrs like a kitten on it.

Are you going to be OK or should we put the defibrillator on standby for ya?
That's funny! I got the person you're replying to on "Ignore," so I had to unignore his comment to see what it's all about. I don't understand why some people can't properly frame their opinion in a civilized manner. I believe that he has another "twin" that posted several inflammatory comments in the Synth Oil thread. For someone who doesn't like the members on this forum, he sure likes to stick around.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
all engines fail, trust me GM's fail ALOT...fords also.

and the trucks failing are a decade old, beat on(i love how everyone is like "oh perfect oil changes!, never used roughly!"...) I'm sure some do but LS's fail just like Hemis mainly from roller lifter failures...

Honestly if your truly worried, have them replaced with the AD new versions. Taking the heads off isn't that big of job.

So when you buy a truck off the lot brand new and it starts knocking to hell and back on the second dealer changed oil at 3500 miles, and they wont fix it, that makes you a m0r0n to try and make that knocking condition better with a lubrication strategy that includes high performance oil and turning off mds? Perhaps you are not aware that a large number of people with rams replaced the lifters only to have them still tick? I guess they are not m0r0n's on your book? Not that you care, but if you felt like not looking the way you current look, try browsing through performance section and see how many still ticking after new cam or lifter threads there are. Lubrication strategies are every bit as successful as actually changing lifters, and are a whole lot easier. Ram Forum has single-handedly cured hemi tick with 100s of members participating. The results are what they are, the only people that hate this great win for ram forum is spawn of bitoger's.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, design error. Inadequate lubrication. My little diesel has roller lifters with a far more aggressive cam profile and doesn't destroy itself due to lack of oil.