Any lifted 5th Gen. Rams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Man, you're truck looks perfect with the 5-inch adjusted lift and 36s on -18MM offset wheels too! Since you dialed down the coilovers, how does it ride? I am wondering if the taking the preload out of the 2.0s made it noticeably looser on higher speed turns and/or too soft for off-roading. Finally, can you get any measurements to top of shark fin with your setup as I am really thinking I could live with just 2 more inches of height over my 3-inch Dirt Logic system if it would still fit in the garage...lol.

My problem is that I wanted to go with the Fox 2.5 coilovers as that would be a nice step up from my current Dirt Logic 2.5s (especially for varying off-road scenarios) but going with a Fox 2.0 would be a step down (from an off-roading perspective). So I have been talking with the BDS/Zone techs and they said that they didn't have a Fox 2.5 coilover for their 4-inch lift and not sure if they ever will; however, a notable vendor on this site suggested that Fox is actually developing one but had no idea when they would be offered! I even asked BDS about dialing the 6-inch lift with Fox 2.5s down to 5-5.5 inches and they said that they couldn't recommend that either since they never tested it. I am wondering if dialing down the 2.5s that much would make the suspension too soft for higher speed handling and off-roading, but if the 2.0s are working just fine for you then maybe that's the answer!

AGAIN, NICE WORK!!
Thank you. It’s a customers truck. My shop specializes in Rams.
This set up is just shy of 7’ to the shark fin. 83 13/16”
Is your truck a 5th gen?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Desert Dawg let me know what you’re running now. I haven’t had a problem with dirt logic stuff so any info helps. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for a solution

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
The guy who did my suspension work is a member in here. He took his time with my level kit and did heat up the wheel well in some areas to eliminate rubbing. Amazing work!

But yeah- Fox 2.0 level kit adjusted properly and he got 35” grabbers on 18” installed nicely. We didn’t do anything with the rear yet, that’s after Xmas! But my wife is now hinting that I should add 2” of lift!!
I know his work well, only place I take my truck!

Attachments

• 6833DC7F-5FE7-4845-A26C-E6FB2189AF18.jpeg
    6833DC7F-5FE7-4845-A26C-E6FB2189AF18.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you. It’s a customers truck. My shop specializes in Rams.
This set up is just shy of 7’ to the shark fin. 83 13/16”
Is your truck a 5th gen?

@Desert Dawg let me know what you’re running now. I haven’t had a problem with dirt logic stuff so any info helps. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for a solution
Awesome; I am all ears!

Yes, I have a 5th Gen (2020 Ram Rebel 4x4) with the 5.7L Hemi.

I first tried the Falcon Sport suspension when they first rolled out their system for the new Rams; they advertised that you can get 2.25-inches of front lift for the 5th Gen Ram 1500/Rebels. I installed their system but only netted about 1.25 inches of front lift since Rebel/ORP already sits higher (TeraFlex let me return the system even after being installed since they agreed that their site was not clear...stand up folks there)!

So I decided to try something different (especially since Fox and King setups for the 5th Gen weren't out yet). I really wanted a 3-3.5 inch coilover lift; my previous build was a 2015 Toyota Tundra with King OEM Performance Series adjustable coilover suspension (with 700 lb springs to handle the heavy aftermarket bumper and winch) adjusted to a tad over 3-inches of lift before fitting the 35s. The resulting stance, ride quality, and off-road performance was outstanding so wanted to duplicate same for the Rebel. Unfortunately at the time, the only coilover systems out on the market (late 2019) were Rough Country or BDS 6-inch spacer systems. But Fabtech came out with their 3-inch UCA system with Dirt Logic coilovers/shocks and thought that might be the ticket since I had heard good things about them (especially since made in U.S.). The system comes with the Dirt Logic 2.5 front coilovers, Fabtech UCAs, Dirt Logic 2.25 rear shocks but with a coil spacer (so not the best setup in the rear). The ride is pretty good but a tad stiff as the Dirt Logics are tuned more for higher speed runs and handling, and the rear articulation is limited by the additional spacer. And the net lift is actually much lower (after settling in) at about 2.75 inches; I am worried about additional settling once I get my 12K winch installed.

I am not getting any younger and constantly use my truck bed for hauling, so getting a true 6-inch coilover system would not be ideal. I have convinced myself that a 4-inch coilover system would be ideal to get the height I want (for aesthetic appeal and on-road/off-road performance). I also want a stout system like BDS so I don't have to worry about tweaking crossmembers or breaking thin spindles when bouncing into/off boulders.

Talked to Dirt Logic about getting their newer remote reservoir 2.5s specifically tuned but worried I won't get more than the 2.75 inches I have now. So getting the BDS 6-inch lift with Fox 2.5 coilovers dialed down to just 5-inches of lift is really enticing as long as I am not a$$-high and the ride/handling isn't sloppy. But any ideas you have that I can work with would be amazing. I do wish your shop was here in NM as I would be driving right on over...lol.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Awesome; I am all ears!

Yes, I have a 5th Gen (2020 Ram Rebel 4x4) with the 5.7L Hemi.

I first tried the Falcon Sport suspension when they first rolled out their system for the new Rams; they advertised that you can get 2.25-inches of front lift for the 5th Gen Ram 1500/Rebels. I installed their system but only netted about 1.25 inches of front lift since Rebel/ORP already sits higher (TeraFlex let me return the system even after being installed since they agreed that their site was not clear...stand up folks there)!

So I decided to try something different (especially since Fox and King setups for the 5th Gen weren't out yet). I really wanted a 3-3.5 inch coilover lift; my previous build was a 2015 Toyota Tundra with King OEM Performance Series adjustable coilover suspension (with 700 lb springs to handle the heavy aftermarket bumper and winch) adjusted to a tad over 3-inches of lift before fitting the 35s. The resulting stance, ride quality, and off-road performance was outstanding so wanted to duplicate same for the Rebel. Unfortunately at the time, the only coilover systems out on the market (late 2019) were Rough Country or BDS 6-inch spacer systems. But Fabtech came out with their 3-inch UCA system with Dirt Logic coilovers/shocks and thought that might be the ticket since I had heard good things about them (especially since made in U.S.). The system comes with the Dirt Logic 2.5 front coilovers, Fabtech UCAs, Dirt Logic 2.25 rear shocks but with a coil spacer (so not the best setup in the rear). The ride is pretty good but a tad stiff as the Dirt Logics are tuned more for higher speed runs and handling, and the rear articulation is limited by the additional spacer. And the net lift is actually much lower (after settling in) at about 2.75 inches; I am worried about additional settling once I get my 12K winch installed.

I am not getting any younger and constantly use my truck bed for hauling, so getting a true 6-inch coilover system would not be ideal. I have convinced myself that a 4-inch coilover system would be ideal to get the height I want (for aesthetic appeal and on-road/off-road performance). I also want a stout system like BDS so I don't have to worry about tweaking crossmembers or breaking thin spindles when bouncing into/off boulders.

Talked to Dirt Logic about getting their newer remote reservoir 2.5s specifically tuned but worried I won't get more than the 2.75 inches I have now. So getting the BDS 6-inch lift with Fox 2.5 coilovers dialed down to just 5-inches of lift is really enticing as long as I am not a$$-high and the ride/handling isn't sloppy. But any ideas you have that I can work with would be amazing. I do wish your shop was here in NM as I would driving right on over...lol.
Sounds like you’re on the right track. Since it’s a Rebel I’m gonna double check a few things. I’ll get back to you this evening

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Desert Dawg if you do the BDS coilover kit for your truck you will net from OEM height 4" rear 5" front. The part numbers on BDS website are the same between the standard and Rebels so they do not net advertised height. I would leave the coilovers set the way they come out of the box. When you add your front end accessories the front will come down to right around 4". That should put you exactly where you want to be

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@Desert Dawg if you do the BDS coilover kit for your truck you will net from OEM height 4" rear 5" front. The part numbers on BDS website are the same between the standard and Rebels so they do not net advertised height. I would leave the coilovers set the way they come out of the box. When you add your front end accessories the front will come down to right around 4". That should put you exactly where you want to be
Glad to hear that as it reinforces the math I was coming up with to justify going with 4-inch to 6-inch lifts. I have been a vocal detractor of using 6-inch lifted trucks for moderately challenging off-roading conditions and/or highway speed stability for obvious reasons but that always assumed that nothing else was significantly added to compensate for the added lift heights. Since I am comfortable with my current setup's handling, I decided to calculate my increased track to height ratio to develop an empirical stability factor when compared to stock. A stock Rebel has a ratio of .88 which empirically represents what the Factory deems as acceptable (based on factory Rebel track width using OEM sourced 33-inch tires on +19MM wheels). My current setup with the "3-inch" lift and wider 35-inch tires with more negative (0MM) offset wheels provides a ratio of .86 which is qualified by the fact that the truck's stability still feels close to stock as well. If I went with a 4-inch lift, and keeping the same tires, I calculate that I would need -24MM offset wheels to retain a similar stability factor as my current setup. That is too much offset for my taste, so dropping my wheel selection to -18MM or -12MM nets me stability factors of .86 and .85, respectively, as well...so very doable albeit at expense of having slightly less high speed or off-canter stability performance. When I jump to a 6-inch lift, stability drops to .83 with -18MM offset wheels so pretty sure that will be noticed. But if the net increase is closer to 5-inches as you stated, then stability creeps back up to .84. It will still be a noticeable difference when compared to stock and even my current setup, but can be improved some if I change out to wider tires as well (net closer to .85-.86); I think I could live with those numbers!

But of course, as soon as I add bigger tires and front winch weight, all that goes out the window...lol.

Thanks again for giving me the input!

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Desert Dawg im running the zone 6” with the fox/bds full length coilovers my wheel is a 20x10 -18 and easily cruises at 80mph. Offroad I have a lot more rocker clearance but you definitely can feel a little too heavy at times when getting into scenarios of steep obstacles. Have you checked out @ram1500rsm build in the members truck section. He has blogged about and tested a lot of non bracket lifted set ups. And is an Avad off roader.

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@Desert Dawg im running the zone 6” with the fox/bds full length coilovers my wheel is a 20x10 -18 and easily cruises at 80mph. Offroad I have a lot more rocker clearance but you definitely can feel a little too heavy at times when getting into scenarios of steep obstacles. Have you checked out @ram1500rsm build in the members truck section. He has blogged about and tested a lot of non bracket lifted set ups. And is an Avad off roader.
Great feedback, thanks! I have been eyeing some new -18MM wheels to go with the lift. My current setup has Black Rhino Duggers 18x8.5 with 0MM offset that have a matte black rub ring and gun metal spokes that closely matches the the Granite paint and matte black trim of my Rebel (plus, really like the design too). The wheels are mounted on Yokohma Geolander G03 MTs that barely come flush with the fenders. I can get a -18MM of the same wheel but in 20-inch so that won't work. I want to stay with the 18-inch size since I am always off-roading. But a little worried that the -18MM offset will cause the 35s (or maybe 37s) to poke put a tad too far and spray the sides of the truck with rocks. So might have to consider wider fender flares too. And it never ends...lol.

Edit: Another option is to keep my current BR wheels but fit them with quality hub centric wheel spacers (.5 - .75) to push the wheels out a tad for better balance/track width with the lift. Had used similar applications before with no issues and just made sure I checked them periodically (they never needed re-torqueing but like to check nonetheless).

Edit: I stand corrected; BR does offer my wheel in a 18x8.5 -18MM offset now...hmmmmm...lol. But still a heck of a lot cheaper to use the bolted spacers since I already have that wheel.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Great feedback, thanks! I have been eyeing some new -18MM wheels to go with the lift. My current setup has Black Rhino Duggers 18x8.5 with 0MM offset that have a matte black rub ring and gun metal spokes that closely matches the the Granite paint and matte black trim of my Rebel (plus, really like the design too). The wheels are mounted on Yokohma Geolander G03 MTs that barely come flush with the fenders. I can get a -18MM of the same wheel but in 20-inch so that won't work. I want to stay with the 18-inch size since I am always off-roading. But a little worried that the -18MM offset will cause the 35s (or maybe 37s) to poke put a tad too far and spray the sides of the truck with rocks. So might have to consider wider fender flares too. And it never ends...lol.

Edit: Another option is to keep my current BR wheels but fit them with quality hub centric wheel spacers (.5 - .75) to push the wheels out a tad for better balance/track width with the lift. Had used similar applications before with no issues and just made sure I checked them periodically (they never needed re-torqueing but like to check nonetheless).

Edit: I stand corrected; BR does offer my wheel in a 18x8.5 -18MM offset now...hmmmmm...lol. But still a heck of a lot cheaper to use the bolted spacers since I already have that wheel.
an 8.5" with a -18 would not be the same back spacing as a 10" -18

rossvdm3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guy who did my suspension work is a member in here. He took his time with my level kit and did heat up the wheel well in some areas to eliminate rubbing. Amazing work!

But yeah- Fox 2.0 level kit adjusted properly and he got 35” grabbers on 18” installed nicely. We didn’t do anything with the rear yet, that’s after Xmas! But my wife is now hinting that I should add 2” of lift!!a truck! What wheel offset did you have on that set up? I want those tires on my 2023 1500 rebel, but I'm not sure

But yeah- Fox 2.0 level kit adjusted properly and he got 35” grabbers on 18” installed nicely. We didn’t do anything with the rear yet, that’s after Xmas! But my wife is now hinting that I should add 2” of lift!!
Great truck! What wheel offset did you have on that set up? I want those tires on my 2023 1500 rebel, but I'm not sure if my 18" kmc 542 +0 wheels would allow it to fit..I'd be adding another 2 inches to the stock 1 inch lift. Don't mind removing mud flap and cutting to make it fit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963