Any RCSB 2/2 folks out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi RF - I just bought a 2013 Express RCSB in True Blue. I bought this with the intention of using it as a truck, i.e. daily beater/haul stuff/tow my project car(s), etc. Sure, I'd like to lower it for looks, improved handling, and easier ingress/egress, however, I'd like to maintain a good ride, and I definitely want to maintain the utility. I don't really care for the leveled look, I'd like to maintain a slight rake.

My first thought was to go for a 2/3 kit, however, after further investigation it seems like (1) most the pics of the 2/3 kits installed looked nearly identical to the 2/4 kits (i.e. more 'level' than I'm looking for) and (2) it seems like that extra inch from 2" to 3" in the rear opens the door to many potential geometry issues that require a larger investment than I'm looking to do to the truck (at least at this time).

What's worse, the previous owner installed a ~2-3" front lift to level the truck (so it's actually a little higher in the front than the back). I hate it so much. But rather than just ripping it off and having to re-align the truck, I'd rather just do it all at once.

I've been considering:
  • McGaughys 2" Front Drop Spindles (with stock springs/this'll maintain the stock geometry)
    • I understand there's a concern of adding to the front track width, but I'll likely switch to higher offset HellCat style wheels which would normally require a spacer anyway.
  • Crown/GF/?? 2" Rear Drop Springs
    • Any brand recommendations here? I'm concerned that being a RCSB the 2" may only be ~1.5", which makes me wonder if I'm better off finding 3" drop springs for a Quad Cab and maybe they'll only lower it ~2.5"? Does anyone have any pics/experience with similar setups?
  • Bilstein 4600 Series Shocks Front & Rear
    • Is there a better option for the rears? I feel like even at 2" you'd want a shorter shock
  • Air Lift Rear Air Bag Helper Springs
    • I bought the truck to tow with....
  • (Optional) Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    • It looks like my truck never came with a rear sway bar from the factory
  • Other thoughts? Do I need to mess with the panhard rod, control arm relocation kits, or shock relocation kit at 2"?

I'm having a lot of difficulty visualizing a 2/2. I've been looking for pics (looked all through the Lowered 4th Gen Pics friend and didn't see any). Does anyone have any pics of a 2/2 setup, preferably on a RCSB?

Thanks,
Eric

RTnoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My R/T has a 2/2 drop, Crown. About to do a 2/4 drop, belltech 964hkp. You in the Houston area?

20190413_083906.jpg

Last edited:

RTnoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2/2 belltech front, GF rear. I took the Crown springs out

20190413_163456.jpg

OP
OP
E

Eric R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks! Oh wow, that’s surprisingly lower looking in the back than I was expecting. Looks good though. I wonder why this is such an uncommon setup?

Did you switch from Crown 2” rear springs to GF 2” rear springs? Why the change?

I’m in Tampa, FL.

never-enough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi RF - I just bought a 2013 Express RCSB in True Blue. I bought this with the intention of using it as a truck, i.e. daily beater/haul stuff/tow my project car(s), etc. Sure, I'd like to lower it for looks, improved handling, and easier ingress/egress, however, I'd like to maintain a good ride, and I definitely want to maintain the utility. I don't really care for the leveled look, I'd like to maintain a slight rake.

My first thought was to go for a 2/3 kit, however, after further investigation it seems like (1) most the pics of the 2/3 kits installed looked nearly identical to the 2/4 kits (i.e. more 'level' than I'm looking for) and (2) it seems like that extra inch from 2" to 3" in the rear opens the door to many potential geometry issues that require a larger investment than I'm looking to do to the truck (at least at this time).

What's worse, the previous owner installed a ~2-3" front lift to level the truck (so it's actually a little higher in the front than the back). I hate it so much. But rather than just ripping it off and having to re-align the truck, I'd rather just do it all at once.

I've been considering:
  • McGaughys 2" Front Drop Spindles (with stock springs/this'll maintain the stock geometry)
    • I understand there's a concern of adding to the front track width, but I'll likely switch to higher offset HellCat style wheels which would normally require a spacer anyway.
  • Crown/GF/?? 2" Rear Drop Springs
    • Any brand recommendations here? I'm concerned that being a RCSB the 2" may only be ~1.5", which makes me wonder if I'm better off finding 3" drop springs for a Quad Cab and maybe they'll only lower it ~2.5"? Does anyone have any pics/experience with similar setups?
  • Bilstein 4600 Series Shocks Front & Rear
    • Is there a better option for the rears? I feel like even at 2" you'd want a shorter shock
  • Air Lift Rear Air Bag Helper Springs
    • I bought the truck to tow with....
  • (Optional) Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    • It looks like my truck never came with a rear sway bar from the factory
  • Other thoughts? Do I need to mess with the panhard rod, control arm relocation kits, or shock relocation kit at 2"?

I'm having a lot of difficulty visualizing a 2/2. I've been looking for pics (looked all through the Lowered 4th Gen Pics friend and didn't see any). Does anyone have any pics of a 2/2 setup, preferably on a RCSB?

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric
I have a 2017 RCSB and it looks like I’ve got some answers for you!
I used McGaughys 2” drop spindles to lower the front.
I used McGaughys 2” drop springs for the rear.
They lowered the rear by 1.25”.
I installed bilstein 4600 shocks in the front and rear.
I added a hellwig adjustable sway bar and used their endlinks for the rear as my truck didn’t come with one.
I haven’t towed anything but the truck drives really nice.
I also added 1” spacers to the rear to help make up for the front track getting wider.
I’ll get some pics posted for you.

Last edited:

never-enough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ef8072c93c02c88a7dedc0f2a2ee798a.jpg
6291df33b9042c796eebbdb54e6e57ec.jpg9fe758824ecd9e47cc0921b35eaa05bf.jpgff1775ae54a828d41513ca069dadb7ad.jpg7c4a8ff9f244e7acec93e5104badd9f6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Eric R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oh wow - that's perfect. Thanks. Your truck looks great, I like really like that look.

RTnoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think everyone likes the level look.

The Crown are a little higher, might put them back in. I tow a lot and don't want the rear to low. Have to wait for the front to settling down.

I got the new Belltech shocks in, I had QA1s in the front and GF in the rear. I think the Belltech are 17001 and 17004, I like them so far. They didn't come with instructions so I'm wounding if I have them dialed in right.

Last edited:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
3•4 drop...

1500.jpg