any recommendations for decent Tap & Die set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
today at work, something that should of taken 15 mins to fix, took 4 hours. our shop tools are either ***** or so old i fear for my appendages.

ive been meaning to get a set of my own for awhile but i keep setting it on the back burner and forgetting.

today is the day! as soon as i figure out with brand/set to go with. for precision tools, i usually steer clear of HF but im seeing decent reviews on most of there sets.
looked at amazon but there are so many to choose from.

im looking for both SAE/METRIC either in a combo set or individual kits.
i dont have much need for anything bigger then 3/8 or M10 but i definitely need the various thread pitches for the smaller sizes.

budget is around $100 or less for individual kits but no more then $200 for combo. cant afford those Vibranium coated Adamantium kits
:chair:

what do you use?

Edit: also, 99% of the time im working with aluminum or stainless

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I have a SAE Craftsman and a HF metric. Found both to be about the same in quality.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any more the Craftsman are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Hf sets and probably by the same 12 year old:rolleyes:

Also HF warrants hand tools for life just like craftsman but the difference is that 1 of the 2 won't be around much longer and sad to say it's not Hf.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I have a SAE Craftsman and a HF metric. Found both to be about the same in quality.

any complaints? i was just looking at the Craftsman 52377 75pc combo set. $106 marked down from $220 on the Sears site but its one of there China sets.

the HF Nitrided sets are $85 a piece and look nice but lack the smaller NC and NF thread pitches.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Try Tooltopia, they sell name brand stuff(not Hobo Freight type)at decent prices. Also, if tool trucks come around Cornwall has decent stuff for less than the other guys.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Try Tooltopia, they sell name brand stuff(not Hobo Freight type)at decent prices. Also, if tool trucks come around Cornwall has decent stuff for less than the other guys.

ill check them out.

i wish tool trucks came here. im in industrial maint, too much security and closed doors. they would sit in the parking lot for hours before anyone realized they were there unfortunately

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would look on Ebay for older Craftsman USA made tap and die kits. They come up quite regularly and many times in minty condition.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
tooltopia T&D sets were found on amazon for the same price. atleast with amazon, theres reviews, Q&A and prime. the deeper i look, the more unsure i get. for ***** n giggles i checked out the $550 snap on kit. beside the double hex heads it looks exactly like the $180 irwin, right down to the description of "Alloy Steel" which tells me nothing.

i think im going to buy a cheap kit and just replace them as they wear out with quality pieces.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mastercraft tools are often on sale and are ok and lifetime warranty. With a little more budget norseman makes nice sets.

Amos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in industrial maintenance myself. Most of my taps are hertel. Almost everything here is stainless. They work well.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I'm in industrial maintenance myself. Most of my taps are hertel. Almost everything here is stainless. They work well.
Nice to finally see someone in the same field. Outside of my co-workers I feel lonely sometimes lol

Those Hertel look nice. Difficult to find REAL TiN or Nitride bits. Out of my budget ($100+ for 18pcs) but I'll see if my super will approve a purchase request for shop use.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

B. Stew

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500HD
Engine
6.7L Turbo
I've got Vermont/American sets that I've used on stainless, aluminum and never had a problem.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
any complaints? i was just looking at the Craftsman 52377 75pc combo set. $106 marked down from $220 on the Sears site but its one of there China sets.

the HF Nitrided sets are $85 a piece and look nice but lack the smaller NC and NF thread pitches.
There both out of China. I have used both with out a problem, but "not a lot" If I used them often in a year, I would have gone US

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
today at work, something that should of taken 15 mins to fix, took 4 hours. our shop tools are either ***** or so old i fear for my appendages.

ive been meaning to get a set of my own for awhile but i keep setting it on the back burner and forgetting.

today is the day! as soon as i figure out with brand/set to go with. for precision tools, i usually steer clear of HF but im seeing decent reviews on most of there sets.
looked at amazon but there are so many to choose from.

im looking for both SAE/METRIC either in a combo set or individual kits.
i dont have much need for anything bigger then 3/8 or M10 but i definitely need the various thread pitches for the smaller sizes.

budget is around $100 or less for individual kits but no more then $200 for combo. cant afford those Vibranium coated Adamantium kits
:chair:

what do you use?

Edit: also, 99% of the time im working with aluminum or stainless

Can’t beat HFT prices or warranty. I used to buy snap-on and mac but I have a ****load of HFT precision tools and general mechanics tools. I was a line mechanic in my early years and now with my wife being a manager for HFT and using their tool lines for bout 6 years now. I can’t recommend these tools enough.
YES you have to be nice to the equipment or you won’t be happy with them.
I just finished building my son a drag car and used the Pittsburgh tools doing so. His car has shown 647 WHP on the dyno. It’s an 87 Toyota Supra I6 twin turbo 5 spd.
Now it test n tune time.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I pick and choose with harbor freight. There socket sets have held up great, especially the Pittsburg impact ones. And they are pretty cheap. I’ve used their torque wrenches for awhile and haven’t noticed any issues. But I snapped their 1/2” breaker bar pretty easily on a hard bolt. I used the craftsman bar and it held up with even more abuse to get that bolt done. I was definetly abusing the breaker bar but the craftsman had the same abuse and didn’t break

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I pick and choose with harbor freight. There socket sets have held up great, especially the Pittsburg impact ones. And they are pretty cheap. I’ve used their torque wrenches for awhile and haven’t noticed any issues. But I snapped their 1/2” breaker bar pretty easily on a hard bolt. I used the craftsman bar and it held up with even more abuse to get that bolt done. I was definetly abusing the breaker bar but the craftsman had the same abuse and didn’t break

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Yeesh, I bought that breaker bar last year for a project but ended up not using it. Dodged a bullet and a couple ****** knuckles.

I'm same way with HF. They have alot of great tools but you have to wade through a creek of ****** products before you land the gems. I got the 3 ton Pittsburgh floor jack like 4-5 years ago and still loving it. Bought the 90 amp flux core and wish I never bought it.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Can’t beat HFT prices or warranty. I used to buy snap-on and mac but I have a ****load of HFT precision tools and general mechanics tools. I was a line mechanic in my early years and now with my wife being a manager for HFT and using their tool lines for bout 6 years now. I can’t recommend these tools enough.
YES you have to be nice to the equipment or you won’t be happy with them.
I just finished building my son a drag car and used the Pittsburgh tools doing so. His car has shown 647 WHP on the dyno. It’s an 87 Toyota Supra I6 twin turbo 5 spd.
Now it test n tune time.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
I love me some HF I just have trust issues because I got burned a few times with the precision tools. Fool me 7 times shame on me