Any suggestions for bed liner/bed cover/side steps for 2018 Rebel with RAM boxes and tie down rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Rebel and I'm looking at a line-x spray in for the bed. I'm wondering if I should have the tie down rails removed and then reinstalled over the bed liner or just have them taped off? Are there any issues with clearances for bed covers or other accessories?

What's the best type of bed cover for use with the RAM boxes and cargo management system? I'm trying to decide between a Retrax (or similar) type of cover or a folding tonneau cover. Any insight you can offer to install methods, durability, or possible issues/concerns would be helpful here.

And finally, what are your thoughts about the different types of side steps available? What are the pros/cons of running bars (oval or round) vs. rocker bars with steps? It's a crew cab and I would like to have a steps at the bed as well as the doors. I don't intend to go rock crawling with it but I want to protect my investment when I do go off-road.

Thanks

-Chaz

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My insight:

If I had it to do over I would have passed on the factory cover. Its a nice cover...no doubt...but I wanted a hard cover. I may end of replacing it but for now it works. I have the Rambox also...just be sure whatever one you get is specifically for the Rambox.

My Rebel has the factory spray in liner...no issues. Can't go wrong with too many out there...just go with a trusted brand.

Side steps...another sore issue with me. I love the look of the factory steps...but again...if I had it to do over I would not have gotten them. They collect a ton of dirt and grime. I would have gotten some single type step running board. The factory ones look and work great though...just my opinion.

If I were you and you have a blank slate...

Hard cover of some type
Spray in liner (not sure on the tie downs)
Low profile style side bars with individual steps at the doors.

Good luck with your choice...!

OP
OP
Chaz462

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the input. You make some good points.

OP
OP
Chaz462

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Out of curiosity, do you have the tie down rails on the sides of your bed? If so, is the factory spray in under the rails and does the cap secure to the top notch in the rails?

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do have the tie downs...and will check later today or tomorrow. Just woke up from 4 hours sleep after a 12 hour shift and am getting my coffee in me :)

I'll post up a picture when I can.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have to leave in a few minutes for another 12 hour shift (1 more after tonight) so I don't have time to upload a photo..(today). But...I did check quick.

My tie down rail does NOT have the liner on it. It appears they sprayed it then put the rail down. The liner is all the way up on the sides...but at the back by the tailgate I can see a small spot of bare metal... 2x2 inches square or smaller and it is at the end of the rail by the tail gate (faces straight back). Its at the top of where the liner ends.

The liner covers the entire bed of course (this is the factory liner). I'm sure any experienced liner installer will be able to get you the answers you need. I'll attempt to get a photo uploaded tomorrow or Wednesday for sure (off for a few days).

Hope that helps.

Mark

OP
OP
Chaz462

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No worries, I totally understand. That info is very helpful. It would be great if you could post a pic or 2 when you get a chance but no sweat if you don’t. I really appreciate the help. Thanks

CSMreb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Liner on mine was sprayed then rails put on. I would have them remove rails then reinstall

OP
OP
Chaz462

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks. I think I’m going to do that and just ask them to leave it a little thinner in those locations.

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck did not come with the liner. I took It to linex to have it done. They remove the rails, linex it, and put them back on. Came out great.

OP
OP
Chaz462

Chaz462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the input. I’m looking at Line-X too. Which product did you go with? I’m leaning towards the pro as I’d like to avoid ever needing to mess with.

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the premium. They said anything over that is overkill unless you really really beat the crap out of it

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Have factory stock side steps, look nice but too high and too close to the truck body to be a real help...Want to lower them and bring them out about 1.5 inch...is this possible?

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
For the cover I’ll be putting the Revolver X2 on it. I had it from my 17 Larami and I have the 19 Rebel now. Hopefully it fits, as part numbers are different but I researched for 2 days on bed sizes and looks like the only difference is the new model is 1.4” taller (5’7 bed).

For the steps I ordered N-Fab Epyx. They come in Wed so I’ll post pics after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Rebel and I'm looking at a line-x spray in for the bed. I'm wondering if I should have the tie down rails removed and then reinstalled over the bed liner or just have them taped off? Are there any issues with clearances for bed covers or other accessories?

What's the best type of bed cover for use with the RAM boxes and cargo management system? I'm trying to decide between a Retrax (or similar) type of cover or a folding tonneau cover. Any insight you can offer to install methods, durability, or possible issues/concerns would be helpful here.

And finally, what are your thoughts about the different types of side steps available? What are the pros/cons of running bars (oval or round) vs. rocker bars with steps? It's a crew cab and I would like to have a steps at the bed as well as the doors. I don't intend to go rock crawling with it but I want to protect my investment when I do go off-road.

Thanks

-Chaz

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

-Chaz
I have the spray in liner. I will be having amp power steps installed when they become available for my '19 Rebel

IMG_1702.JPG

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine didn't come with the spray in liner. I just cut down the bed mat to fit my Ramboxes and I got a Weathertech tailgate cover. I use to run a solid bed cover. Bed Mat is way cheaper. I always said I would spray the bed if it got beat up. Last truck I had was 14 years old and I had the same mat. When I traded I took the mat out and the bed was perfect except for one dent form something heavy. Big rock it looked like. Spray liner would not have helped and the dent would have been worse if no bed mat.