Any thoughts about shortages and current dealer pricing? I am stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfunk11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure if this is the best subforum to post this, but I am in a tricky situation that has me probably buying (getting screwed on) a 2021 Ram tomorrow. I had a 2001 Ram 1500 then a 2014 Ram 1500 with the '14 ram having the dreaded lifter/cam issue at $78K miles. It is at the dealer now and they found metal in the oil so a rebuilt or new engine is the solution but I don't want to put $10K+ into a seven year old truck. Well, that left me trying to negotiate a broken trade for a new 2021 Ram. Here is where things get difficult. Since my engine is partially torn apart, I have almost no negotiating power. I tried other dealers within an hour of where I live, but most are horrible with communication or the one that has responded said they are not interested in my trade because it is not in running condition for them to assess the other mechanical components. I understand that, but I am back to trying to work a deal with the dealership my truck is at. They have a limited number of Rams on the lot.

So now we introduce this microchip shortage issue that I know is real but I think the dealer is overplaying it. They wanted full MSRP minus factory discounts without any dealer discounts my first try last weekend. The were offering me $5K for my truck which is probably about as much as I would get but I think there should be more wiggle room on their end? Is this microchip shortage as much of an issue as they are making it out to be? The truck I want is "in transit" but they cannot give me a firm date of when it will get here. They do have a 2021 Rebel on their lot which is now my back-up plan.

Any thoughts? I usually research things and do a ton of shopping prior to purchasing a vehicle, but I am pretty much stuck in a crappy spot. My truck is my third vehicle so I don't drive it a ton, but I still need it for towing and hauling stuff. Plus, I cannot just leave my broken truck sitting there for months. I know I am going to get screwed but I want to avoid getting totally screwed! :)

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The chip shortage is real. I would say they should be able to do better, but they are in the driver's seat since your truck is broken

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The dealer is just going to send your Ram to a auction
7 years is about the point that they would auction it off, even if it was in running condition

You should at least try doing an online search of at least 3 states around you.

The only other option is if you work for a company that in some way supplies a Service that is used by Stellantis, formally known as FCA.
You would get a discount through the Affiliates Reward Program if you did

https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/
click on the FAQ section, it explains it better than i can

This is an old Affiliates list of companies that supply a service for the Ram, Jeep, etc,
If you work for any of them, you just need to get your personal Control Number, which is needed to purchase your vehicle.

This is the old list of companies supplying a service
https://pictures.dealer.com/romanochryslerjeepcllc/5e19adcd0a0e09a73f92a86d8c2196b3.pdf

Last edited:

mamoore9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There are two dealers that come to mind who can give you very quick quotes on factory orders. Email these two guys:

Phillip Olson, General Sales Manager at Bud Clary in Washington State
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

Aaron Ginsburgh, New Car Sales Manager at Mark Dodge in Louisiana
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 318-792-1220 (text is great)
[email protected]

Send them the window sticker/build sheet of the truck on the lot you will likely end up purchasing. They will give you a pretty aggressive quote for a new build; likely in the 15-20% off MSRP area. Bring that quote to your dealer and say "I have these two offers for a new build just like this truck on the lot. Can you match or beat this offer, how close can you get, etc.?"

I can vouch for both of those dealers. I got rock bottom quotes from both that 5 dealers near me couldn't get within 1800 bucks of on a brand new build. I think this is your best chance at getting to a lower price since they kinda got you by the balls and realistically you need to buy the truck from them to get away from your broken truck. Hope it helps to lessen the blow.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called my local dealership yesterday to ask about a Pacifica for my sister who was in a bad wreck last week. They had 6 total on the lot, and he said 8 rams on the lot. My salesman said special ordered trucks are taking 9-12 months for them and they are a big lot. I too was thinking about ordering a new ram, but not if its taking that long. I will wait until this chip shortage stops. Even with used trucks if you did decide that route are through the roof. My dad had to pay out the rear for a used F150 ecoboost. It is insane.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i'm hanging on to my current 2500 just because i can sell it for way more than i could have gotten for the trade in value.so i have to have 2 trucks,sucks to be me.lol.trucks in my area are worth their weight in gold.especially since it has no rust.there are hardly any decent condition used trucks for sale within hundreds of kilometers in any direction.you can probably unload it as is for more than you think.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your broke truck, hope they can help you out on the rebuild. As far as "settling" for what is on the lot, don't do it. In the long run you may not be happy, stick to your guns for what you want. There seems to be a whole lot of shortages going on now. I work in the paint industry for a major player, raw materials are at a stand still and no end in sight. Good luck.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have your truck towed back home. Then call some independent mechanic shops in your area for quotes for repairs, you will probably find them a lot more reasonable then any dealer. Never trust a dealer , they will ,and do lie to your face while smiling. Anyway if you do the math you may be better off, used truck prices are crazy right now. Do a little home work you may be pleasantly surprised. I hope it all works out good for you.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i used the ram online buying website to hunt down my power wagon.when i first started there were over 30 within 650 kilometers of me.and a crap ton of tradesmans.i just had a look and there is a grand total of 3 power wagons within 1000 kilometers and 6 tradesmans.i got mine just in time.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not sure if this is the best subforum to post this, but I am in a tricky situation that has me probably buying (getting screwed on) a 2021 Ram tomorrow. I had a 2001 Ram 1500 then a 2014 Ram 1500 with the '14 ram having the dreaded lifter/cam issue at $78K miles. It is at the dealer now and they found metal in the oil so a rebuilt or new engine is the solution but I don't want to put $10K+ into a seven year old truck. Well, that left me trying to negotiate a broken trade for a new 2021 Ram. Here is where things get difficult. Since my engine is partially torn apart, I have almost no negotiating power. I tried other dealers within an hour of where I live, but most are horrible with communication or the one that has responded said they are not interested in my trade because it is not in running condition for them to assess the other mechanical components. I understand that, but I am back to trying to work a deal with the dealership my truck is at. They have a limited number of Rams on the lot.

So now we introduce this microchip shortage issue that I know is real but I think the dealer is overplaying it. They wanted full MSRP minus factory discounts without any dealer discounts my first try last weekend. The were offering me $5K for my truck which is probably about as much as I would get but I think there should be more wiggle room on their end? Is this microchip shortage as much of an issue as they are making it out to be? The truck I want is "in transit" but they cannot give me a firm date of when it will get here. They do have a 2021 Rebel on their lot which is now my back-up plan.

Any thoughts? I usually research things and do a ton of shopping prior to purchasing a vehicle, but I am pretty much stuck in a crappy spot. My truck is my third vehicle so I don't drive it a ton, but I still need it for towing and hauling stuff. Plus, I cannot just leave my broken truck sitting there for months. I know I am going to get screwed but I want to avoid getting totally screwed! :)
Where are you located? I was just looking last night for kicks. Tiny Domiano in Archbald PA has a bunch of Rams. I bought mine from their dealership in NY, they have a bunch of dealerships in PA and NY. Whatever you do, good luck.

OP
OP
L

lfunk11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I wish I could wait to get a truck but I need one now. We just moved into a new construction house on a couple acres so I need the truck to haul stuff. I also need it for towing my boat plus I have a trip planned in a couple weeks where I need to tow a rental RV. Finally, my 2001 Ram sat broken in our driveway for a couple years after I bought my 2014 Ram since I thought I would eventually fix it. My wife will not allow another broken truck to be towed back here!

I have been looking more and more at the Rebel they have. I am happy with it so it will all work out. I just resigned myself to getting screwed since the other option is waiting a good long while to get one. I considered going a to a local garage but I have had engines replaced in vehicles before with varying luck on the long term reliability.

As for used trucks, the prices are pretty nuts right now as well! Wish me luck :)

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
as an earlier poster suggested..might want to have your truck towed from the dealer. send to an auction house and get whatever you can out of it and then get a 12 month lease on something to keep you going till the dealers start getting the wave of new inventory that will come when chip makers and parts suppliers get back online. it will be a buyers market then.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
DO NOT TRADE YOUR TRUCK!!!!

They have you over a barrel and know it. Like others have said, have them put it back together and get it towed home or somewhere you can store it for a short time. Get it repaired and sell it privately.

Buy the new truck as a separate deal.

OP
OP
L

lfunk11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid more than I wanted to but I just don't have the time to mess with the old truck plus I need something now. My old truck had a dented front and rear bumpers plus some bubbles of rust under the paint in a few spots. I used it like a work truck around our property so it wasn't in the best of shape. I also would have had to pay them the labor for what they had already done plus the labor to put the intake and other junk back on. That would have been close to a grand at $130 an hour or whatever they said.

That is all in the past now. I get to enjoy my new Rebel :) I have after market wheels and brand new Duratrac tires from my old truck to sell now (5 lug) so hopefully I can take that money and get something for the new truck. I need a tonneau cover and I would like to do a Corsa exhaust. I may need step rails too since this one sits a little higher and the seats seem higher.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks nice!!! Did ya get them do do any better on pricing??

OP
OP
L

lfunk11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice!!! Did ya get them do do any better on pricing??

I got $1500 off but that was a manufacturer incentive so no. I admit I got screwed but I couldn't wait anymore. I walked out last week and they didn't even follow up with me which is a first in my car buying experience.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least you got a truck you wanted!! Sometimes we get a great deal and sometimes it goes the other way.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
At least you got a truck you wanted!! Sometimes we get a great deal and sometimes it goes the other way.

A customer of mine used to say, when I gave them a high price "It's only money". I covet customers like that...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In about a months time, almost all of the New Car salesmen will be out of work
The chip shortage hurts them too

I was at the local Dodge Dealership last week, while i was waiting to ask the Service Adviser that i use a couple questions.

I was surprised to hear someone call out my name, i turned & it was Gibson, the salesman that i had ordered my 2016 Ram through, 6 years ago.
He remembered what i had ordered & even knew that i had changed the Rams color after i picked it up

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The chip shortage is real . In Arlington Texas GM Plant has Tahoe’s, Caddliac Escalade
Being built and stored on lots waiting for the chips to come in .