Any thoughts about shortages and current dealer pricing? I am stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Mays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 8cyl
I ordered a 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4 Limited loaded with night package on Monday April 26th and the dealership told me to expect about 10 weeks. I get a text from the sales manager at the dealership on Monday May 3rd telling me it was already built and being inspected. I got online today (May 6th) and chatted with the ram customer service and after giving them the VIN and order number, they said that was correct and I have an ETA of 5/30-6/13 for the truck to arrive at the dealership. Of course I was very surprised but happy! I need to get my leveling kit ordered and new tires now

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is an interesting part of the GM CEO's recent comments about what they plan to do in the future.

“We’ll never go back to that level of inventories that we held pre-pandemic because we’ve learned we can be much more efficient,” it was also stated that this new model is better for *everyone" and then mentioned the company and dealers. Um, yeah.

This was during a discussion about when things might get back to normal. Other comments were pegged at how low margin entry level vehicles were seen as getting new, younger customers in the brand and then moving them up the chain of brands and trims over the years. That model appears to be heading off in the past. Of course take this for whatever value you find in it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is the time of year that they always stop taking orders, they stopped taking orders from the big Fleet buyers a couple of weeks ago.

Dealerships usually have a little more time to get their orders in

Normally every year they stop production in June
The next years orders can begin in late May or June

Normally the plants are closed for 2 to 3 weeks for cleanup & modifications

Again normally the new years production begins in July or August,
The first new Rams come out in September

We won't know this years schedule until it happens or someone that has inside info leaks it out

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i had a very "interesting" buying experience .i found a power wagon in the color i wanted and with the ram boxes.it wasn't the 75'th i wanted but it was a level 2 with most of the available options.the salesman told me it was in transit and would be arriving at the end of april,2 weeks,so i dropped my deposit and they emailed me the build sheet and the vin.2 weeks later i call to see what the delivery status is and they tell me it's no longer available.say what ??? i put a deposit on it.sorry,how about this laramie instead,it's just a little more $ than the power wagon.needless to say it got really ugly.i did manage to find another p/w at a different dealer in red pearl with all the options,less the ram boxes and again,not a 75'th .i explained what happened and they went out of their way to get me a decent deal,threw in side steps and undercoating for free after we settled on a price and even delivered it 500 kilometers up to me at no charge the next day.they gave me a #to file a complaint and it's in the works now.all in all i'm very happy with the new truck,except for the duratracs.every wheel is loaded with weights,one is over a foot long,not sure exactly how much is on that side,but that's what you get buying sight unseen i guess.they will get studded in the fall and will be my dedicated winter tires and i'm putting on some ridge grapplers soon.hated to settle but i needed a truck and supply is almost non existent for power wagons in Canada.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont know if I believe that ceo..they make more profit by utilizing cost saving derived from volume ordering of parts and components and producing vehicles in certain quantities. at one time I was an architect at a design build firm that only did auto dealerships. we did most of the dealerships in our metro area for years. I remember several dealers talking about how many vehicles they were required to order and floorplan to get and keep their dealership. I do see it taking a while to get back to normal due to shutdowns and parts and components in short supply. I have heard from a cpl. folks that docks are understaffed and there are hundreds of container ships backed up waiting to get to port and unload.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Never thought I would be too Old and Plain ! But here I am at ripe old age of 59, and I would never buy one of these $80 grand trucks. Very little difference with the top of the line stuff prior to 1980, except 10 times more expensive!
My mom and dad bought a Fridgidair refridgerator used when I was maybe 4 years old, that was 1966. It still worked perfectly with zero maintainence, 20 years later, all that needed to be done was defrost once in a while.

Products being built now are cheap throwaways and that includes $80 Grand trucks! Auto Transmission repair is $8 grand, learn to drive a stick shift, much less problem!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Never thought I would be too Old and Plain ! But here I am at ripe old age of 59, and I would never buy one of these $80 grand trucks. Very little difference with the top of the line stuff prior to 1980, except 10 times more expensive!
My mom and dad bought a Fridgidair refridgerator used when I was maybe 4 years old, that was 1966. It still worked perfectly with zero maintainence, 20 years later, all that needed to be done was defrost once in a while.

Products being built now are cheap throwaways and that includes $80 Grand trucks! Auto Transmission repair is $8 grand, learn to drive a stick shift, much less problem!
What an old man! I'm just a young buck at 58! :p And I'd definitely prefer to drive a manual transmission. The problem is finding a new vehicle that even has that as a choice.

Unfortunately that's just the way things are now. There's no going back to 1980 (not sure I want to do that anyway LOL). People used to pay a repair shop to fix things like tv's and washing machines. My first job interview after tech school was at a tv repair shop in Flagstaff AZ. I'm so glad I didn't take that job LOL. Now people just buy a new one when something goes wrong with their tv. And this is true with a lot of expensive things now, like appliances, computers, lawnmowers, etc. But I respectfully disagree that my $75k truck is a cheap throwaway. It will have trade-in value for many years, even if it has lots of problems. I didn't buy my first brand-new vehicle until I was 49 years old, and had owned about 40 used vehicles before that. Now those were what I would consider cheap throwaways. :D

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Auto Transmission repair is $8 grand, learn to drive a stick shift, much less problem!
Tell me where I can sign up for a full-size 1/2 ton pickup available in the USA and I am in line.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
We all know its because of the wives, and the inept males, is why they make automatics, even putting automatics in Big rigs now. Unless we demand they make them, they won't do it. I figure if I make it another 20 years, Instead of spending $80 grand for a truck, I'll make my own !

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My (33 yo) daughter drives a stick (VW Jetta). My wife likes a stick, and drives my manual Boxster quite well.

But I agree in the main.

OTOH, modern automatics can be more fuel efficient than a manual, and unquestionably faster shifting in the case of dual clutch systems.

But I don't care none about that. I'm not a fuel saver freak and I'm not a race car driver (though sometimes my wife questions that). I just like picking the gear I'm in. Kind of a control freak, I guess, but I'm OK with that.