Any v6 etorque fans out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have searched the forums and most posts seem to be as recent as January.
I am looking at a 2020 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab w/ the v6 etorque. I have read all the posts about resale value and little difference in gas mileage. I am not planning on hauling anything, except when I load up the truck to take my daughter back and forth to college. My daily commute to and from work is 32 miles, mostly highway, but a lot of city driving taking and picking up my kids from practice. To me the added mileage seems worth it in my circumstances.

However, I can't find any owner reviews of the v6 etorque, and all the youtube reviews review these fully loaded limited trucks. Another option that concerns me is the 48V battery. How often would that need to be replaced? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my 2019 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab v6 etorque for almost a year. It has perfectly fit my needs and has had no problems. Resale value was of no concern to me in general and with my purchase price at 69% of MSRP I have no doubt that my purchase was a wise choice.

As far as your comment about mileage there appears to be around a 3-5 MPG gain over the Hemi. I consider that to be a significant difference. Gas prices were much higher when I bought it and will be back there soon.

Power is more than adequate for normal use and light towing. If I want to go fast I'll take my Corvette instead. With my 3.55 gears my Ram can tow almost 7500 pounds. If I planned on towing that much I would have bought a Hemi though.

I can't answer your question about the battery pack but expect the average one to last many years without problems.

OP
OP
M

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks for the feedback. Resale doesn't concern me either as I usually keep my vehicles at least 10 years.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have searched the forums and most posts seem to be as recent as January.
I am looking at a 2020 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab w/ the v6 etorque. I have read all the posts about resale value and little difference in gas mileage. I am not planning on hauling anything, except when I load up the truck to take my daughter back and forth to college. My daily commute to and from work is 32 miles, mostly highway, but a lot of city driving taking and picking up my kids from practice. To me the added mileage seems worth it in my circumstances.

However, I can't find any owner reviews of the v6 etorque, and all the youtube reviews review these fully loaded limited trucks. Another option that concerns me is the 48V battery. How often would that need to be replaced? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I’m gonna be ordering a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the Etorque V6 pretty soon, i’ll let ya know.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
What is the issue/concern over resale value of the eTorque?

FYI, found this video in the tech forum:

Last edited:

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Prius batteries have proven to last many years, and then servicing the packs looks to be not that big of a deal either from the videos I've looked at. The e-torque is much less of an electrical system than the Prius uses, so costs should be less as well.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep. The last thing I would be concerned with is the battery pack. Seems to be mounted in an easy spot behind the rear seat back.

The big'ol monster motor/starter unit and associated electronics? Time will tell on that.

I'd be kind of disappointed if the E-Torq Pentastar is only averaging 3-5mpg more than a hemi Ram 1500. I think I meet/exceed that with my 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Just add; the reason a Prius battery lasts well over a decade, and your phone battery is shot in a year and a half is that the Prius never lets the battery pack get below 80% of theoretical charge. Your phone lets it drop down lower, but still not completely out. These fancy batteries "brick" if you run them out all the way, as some early Tesla owners found out. I doubt Ram programs their trucks to burn up their batteries in day to day usage.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
To me it is a gimmick that adds next to nothing to performance or mpg but does help the fleet average for meeting the CAFE requirements. It is one more thing to break and something that will entail an expensive replacement cost. The battery pack is $1575.00 and starter generator is $1330.00 and with the V-8 one pays more upfront as well.

Dealers in my area add $5,000 in "extras" like the chrome appearance group and never provide the 6'4" box and larger gas tank and electronic locking rear differential unless one buys a Rebel. With the current pandemic new Ram truck prices have increased by up to $10,000 and so I will be waiting to order a 2021 pickup.

Pocketfisherman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l eTorque
Love my eTorque Lonestar 2wd Quadcab. Per an eTorque article I read in either Popular Mechanics and Motortrend, the 400amp hr batter pack is only loaded to 130amp hrs max, so it will last a 10 year projected lifetime. The 8 ribbed serpentine belt is also targetd for 10yrs, 150K miles....although in TX, 150K miles is more like 4-5 yrs typically. I also love the price, got mine for 67.7% of what List price was, and that includes sales tax and titling/registration fees.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I had a 2021 1500 limited hemi e-torque and sold it and bought a 2019 1500 v6 e-torque 4x4 with 7k on the clock. The hemi just could not pass a gas station. I called the dealer who had the 2019 and when he heard I was trading in a Limited, saliva started drooling from his mouth. We made the deal and I sure do miss the 850.00 payments (not). The dealer told me if you drive a hemi, you have to feed a hemi. I said that is why I am here.

The v6 has the life of Riley. It sips on synthetic oil and has Michelin LTX tires. I put my retrax electric cover and my bed slider in it. I never look back. Just drove it to Dallas and back at 75 and 20.1 mpg. Just a note. If you are disabled like I am, the bed slider is a god send. You do not have to bend over to put something in the bed, you just slide the bed out to you. I have added a UAX radio to it with help from the forum and now thinking about leather seats (heated and cooled). I do no heavy pulling and the cruise control is fantastic.

The only difference I see is the v6 gets a little winded at 75. It like to go to 7th gear on a hill or in the Texas wind. Someday, someone will come out with a turbo kit and then you can play hemi. :)

Keep the oil changed with a good synthetic oil. Lots of info on filters and oil on the forum. Take a sample and send it in once in a while to make sure everything is dutch. Enjoy it and you will have many happy miles. You made a good decision.