Any way to body drop without cutting and custom fabrication?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Nice, but what I wanna know is how safe that coilover is with the shock AND spring being held in by 3 skimpy nuts and bolts...

Since you have no idea of the quality of the fasteners being used and have already made the assumption they aren't safe. There is nothing I can or want to say to you about what was done. Enjoy your truck..

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Dude, I'm just saying. The whole weight of the vehicle is supported by those. Now I briefly looked at a stock coilover vehicle, and what I saw was two big bolts, one at each end. Inserted horizontally kinda like our stock rear shocks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't even THAT seem a bit more secure than 3 vertical bolts?
Since you have no idea of the quality of the fasteners being used and have already made the assumption they aren't safe. There is nothing I can or want to say to you about what was done. Enjoy your truck..

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Dude, I'm just saying. The whole weight of the vehicle is supported by those. Now I briefly looked at a stock coilover vehicle, and what I saw was two big bolts, one at each end. Inserted horizontally kinda like our stock rear shocks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't even THAT seem a bit more secure than 3 vertical bolts?

First off man, you are talking to a guy that has a purpose built truck for speed and racing, Obviously, i dont think he would BS you into putting something not safe.

Now since you are asking if his setup is safe that means you didnt look at his picture and know what you are looking at, so i will explain this for you...

First thing you bring up is the bolts, well like he said, you dont know what grade bolts he used so they could be any strength, next thing if you look at the pic you can see he has the lower coil over mount actually mounted on the top of the lower control arm and not underneath it like our shocks mount, so that means the weight of the truck is not on the bolts its between the coil-over and the control arm, so if you look at his picture you will see that his coil overs are held in the same way that a normal coil spring is held in a vehicle (sandwiched between two pieces of metal held together by the ball-joints and spindle) in fact a normal spring is just held in by being a sandwich and his is actually bolted in...

you have to pay attention to details

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Nice, but what I wanna know is how safe that coilover is with the shock AND spring being held in by 3 skimpy nuts and bolts...

I would suggest listening to Greg. He’s probably forgotten more things about 3rd gens then you’ll ever know. He’s put a ton of time and effort into custom work on his truck and knows what he’s doing

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Thank you Chris, that is a really nice compliment. Vking coilover company builds kits for most everything but the Ram of course. So the work in putting a kit together was in going through their catalog and selecting which component fit best. I didn't design the kit, as so much just picked the shock and spring. These conversion are popular with street cars that aren't quite at the all out race car level. There is something like 360 different adjustment combination, plus you can adjust the weight by loading the corners. Previously I have spent a lot of time trying different oem springs and trimming them to different heights. And shocks I could never get just right. Using the coilovers allows you to adjust it to exactly what you want it to be. Red has 60' @ 1.58.. and is even quicker now that I've moved some weight and making adjustments...

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I think a majority of us on the 3rd gen section have figure that out.

I still can’t figure if your a troll or confused
Dude, I'm not a troll. I don't even know how your can think that. Get off that idea.

Cabrera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What ideas? What information? I didn't know this, so I asked. The only information I supplied was that I took ground clearance measurements and estimated for a 3/5 drop with a smaller tire, and it wouldn't clear the gas tank over a parking hump. Which I want it to do in case I need to go over a median or otherwise **** of a dangerous situation.

And Demon kept saying "don't get custom cut 5100's" in the PM's when I brought all that up, so don't assume to know everything that's going on.

The gas tank is going to clear regardless boss. I’m sitting 5/9 and not once hit gas tank. Granted I do watch my road bumps but I knew my driving would have to change if I slammed it. I’d say just keep your truck stock height. Or just drop shackles. To each their own of course.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I would suggest listening to Greg. He’s probably forgotten more things about 3rd gens then you’ll ever know. He’s put a ton of time and effort into custom work on his truck and knows what he’s doing

I Bleed Ram Trucks

^

Last edited: