Any way to change OEM TPMS alarm psi settings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have my OBD II cord, bypass harness and a licensed copy of AlphaOBD. I've watched a ton of videos on how to change TPMS, tire size, etc, and it all looks fairly easy and I'd like to get it rolling; however, I am trying to take your advice on backing up my truck's stock configuration prior to messing with this stuff. It seems I can find nearly any video on how to do things with this AlphaOBD, except I can't seem to find anything on how to do it in AlphaOBD.

Anybody have a link to a video or instructions on how to backup stock truck configuration on AlphaOBD prior to using it to change settings? It's the first thing I'd like to do.

Thanks
Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfxUlxuYyk

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Thank you. I tried to do it, but I'm having connection issues. He is using it on an android and connecting with bluetooth using the OBDlink MX. I have the OBDlink EX which has a USB cord. I can't for the life of me get AlphaOBD to connect using the OBDlink EX with the USB cord. Every time I try to enter my body computer and hit connect, it just opens bluetooth options only. I'm wondering if the only way I can do this is with the OBDlink MX via bluetooth.

I'm wondering if the OBDlink EX only works on Fords and the MX is the only way to connect to AlphaOBD.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thank you. I tried to do it, but I'm having connection issues. He is using it on an android and connecting with bluetooth using the OBDlink MX. I have the OBDlink EX which has a USB cord. I can't for the life of me get AlphaOBD to connect using the OBDlink EX with the USB cord. Every time I try to enter my body computer and hit connect, it just opens bluetooth options only. I'm wondering if the only way I can do this is with the OBDlink MX via bluetooth.

I'm wondering if the OBDlink EX only works on Fords and the MX is the only way to connect to AlphaOBD.
I have only heard of the EX working with Windows, not android. Android = Bluetooth adapters, Windows = Bluetooth or USB. If you are using Windows you need to go in to device manager and see what com port the EX is using, you then set that in the Alfa's connection setup.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have only heard of the EX working with Windows, not android. Android = Bluetooth adapters, Windows = Bluetooth or USB. If you are using Windows you need to go in to device manager and see what com port the EX is using, you then set that in the Alfa's connection setup.

Thanks. I looked in the device manager, but the com port did not match up to the manual options on AlphaOBD, but in the process I found a way to change the connection type in AlphaOBD from bluetooth to the actual OBDlink EX USB option, and it worked. I ran into some glitches that made it frustrating, for example, it would only let me connect one time, and then it would fail unless i restarted my computer and re-opened AlphaOBD. But I was able to perform the TPMS pressure change successfully, so thank you all for your help. Next move is to adjust my tire size.

AlphaOBD is pretty awesome. It doesn't have instructions though, it seems I can only find out how to do things from YouTube, etc. My brother has an F150 and Forscan, and he said they have some spreadsheet that shows you all the things you can do on it. Wondering if there's something similar for AlphaOBD?

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks. I looked in the device manager, but the com port did not match up to the manual options on AlphaOBD, but in the process I found a way to change the connection type in AlphaOBD from bluetooth to the actual OBDlink EX USB option, and it worked. I ran into some glitches that made it frustrating, for example, it would only let me connect one time, and then it would fail unless i restarted my computer and re-opened AlphaOBD. But I was able to perform the TPMS pressure change successfully, so thank you all for your help. Next move is to adjust my tire size.

AlphaOBD is pretty awesome. It doesn't have instructions though, it seems I can only find out how to do things from YouTube, etc. My brother has an F150 and Forscan, and he said they have some spreadsheet that shows you all the things you can do on it. Wondering if there's something similar for AlphaOBD?
Most setup is word of mouth, youtube, this forum etc. There is a very LONG post in here dedicated just to Alfa. Here's a list I found here on known working settings. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOPRgM7z957XJTg16NSjozfXNbrHdjkRQzCs2t0HYRc/edit

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I took notes in a word doc outlining the processes I used to do the TPMS, and also the process for my tire size change. I just took this google doc you sent and dumped it in a word doc. I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Most setup is word of mouth, youtube, this forum etc. There is a very LONG post in here dedicated just to Alfa. Here's a list I found here on known working settings. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOPRgM7z957XJTg16NSjozfXNbrHdjkRQzCs2t0HYRc/edit

Curious if you or anybody else knows if it is possible through Alpha OBD to make any of the following changes (which I have not been able to find online or exploring around AlphaOBD):

(1) There is a temperature setting that triggers auto on for heated steering wheel and seat. It is set stock to turn on when temp is 40F and below. Here in michigan we have a very humid cold weather, and I'd like to change it to 48F or so, if that is possible.

(2) Related to above, turning truck on in 40F or below turns on heated drivers seat and steering wheel, but does not turn on passenger heated seat. Wondering if AlphaOBD can change this to also turn on heated passenger seat.

(3) Any way to disable fasten seat belt chime with AlphaOBD? Prior to Gen5 I used to be able to do this manually, but not in the Gen5 truck.

(4) Auto start function is disabled when there is low fuel. Any way to disable this in AlphaOBD, such that truck still auto starts if low fuel light is on?

If anybody knows if there's a better section of this forum to post this question, please let me know .

brian42

Military
Reaction score
(3) Any way to disable fasten seat belt chime with AlphaOBD? Prior to Gen5 I used to be able to do this manually, but not in the Gen5 truck.

(4) Auto start function is disabled when there is low fuel. Any way to disable this in AlphaOBD, such that truck still auto starts if low fuel light is on?

AlfaOBD not needed for the seat belt chime. All you need to do is this:

I don't see any setting for the remote starting and fuel level (although I am not an expert on a lot of the abbreviations and acronyms).

If you are feeling frisky you might try adjusting the low fuel warning (LFW) down to a lower % and see if that works.

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Curious if you or anybody else knows if it is possible through Alpha OBD to make any of the following changes (which I have not been able to find online or exploring around AlphaOBD):

(1) There is a temperature setting that triggers auto on for heated steering wheel and seat. It is set stock to turn on when temp is 40F and below. Here in michigan we have a very humid cold weather, and I'd like to change it to 48F or so, if that is possible.

(2) Related to above, turning truck on in 40F or below turns on heated drivers seat and steering wheel, but does not turn on passenger heated seat. Wondering if AlphaOBD can change this to also turn on heated passenger seat.

If anybody knows if there's a better section of this forum to post this question, please let me know .
1, 2 and 4 is no. As for #3, you can do it as noted above but it will keep the red seatbelt light luminated on the dash and you'll get the passenger unbuckled pop-up on your EVIC.

Best way to do it is with seatbelt extenders, get the 3" rigid ones for both driver and passenger side.

Gains you multiple things, stops the light/ding, allows you to open your door in gear and still allows you and your passenger to use your seatbelt when/if you choose.

Here's the ones I use: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/ram-seat-belt-extenders/

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I don't see any setting for the remote starting and fuel level (although I am not an expert on a lot of the abbreviations and acronyms).

If you are feeling frisky you might try adjusting the low fuel warning (LFW) down to a lower % and see if that works.
Awesome, I'll give that seatbelt video a try. Thanks

1 and 2 is no
1, 2 and 4 is no. As for #3, you can do it as noted above but it will keep the red seatbelt light luminated on the dash and you'll get the passenger unbuckled pop-up on your EVIC.

Best way to do it is with seatbelt extenders, get the 3" rigid ones for both driver and passenger side.

Gains you multiple things, stops the light/ding, allows you to open your door in gear and still allows you and your passenger to use your seatbelt when/if you choose.

Here's the ones I use: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/ram-seat-belt-extenders/

10-4, thank you guys

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I successfully used that method with my '21 Classic while sitting in the dealership parking lot on day one. :cool:

I hate seatbelt nanny chimes.