Anybody else have problems installing a Curt hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brumbie13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have a 2016 1500. It came with a Class 3 hitch and I wanted to install a Class 4 hitch onto it.
I'm having one heck of a time.

I purchased a Curt 14374.

All the installation videos are basically like "just slide it up into position and screw it in" but boy that sucker couldn't have been any tighter to get up in there between the rails that line the frame. I hammered the heck out of that thing to get it up in position, and once I got it there, the holes didn't line up.

I can't get it any further back because it's as flush with the bumper bar as it can be, and it's still probably has about about 1/2 inch to move back in order to get the holes lined up with the ones on the frame bolt. It has no more room to move back, so I feel like I'm stuck. I've read a few people comment on how easy the install was, and the Curt hitch on my last vehicle was easy to install, but I feel like maybe I got a bad unit or something. It just doesn't seem meant to be.

Given the potential load that could be on hitch, I'm hesitant to drill out the holes on this thing, but I feel like I'm out of options. Anybody else who has any wisdom to share, I'd love to hear it.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I hate asking, just because I'm not there, it looks like there are two sets of holes, short/long bed setup on the hitch from the instructions. Do you have the right set of holes?

OP
OP
brumbie13

brumbie13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks for your response.
Yes I do.
We considered that, but those holes are about 2.5 inches apart from each other and we're currently short on the front holes only about a half an inch. Also, we're already using the closer set of holes (the ones listed as for the shorter bed, which is the one we have), and are are unable to push it any further back due to the position of the bumper bars, so the holes we are using are the correct ones.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded to that same hitch on my 2013 RCSB, a couple of years ago. I had no issues what so ever bolting it right up. I don't remember about different holes, but everything aligned right up perfectly.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Wonder if it was mis-boxed. Does the hitch have a part number on it so you can verify it is 14374 in the box? Also, the Curt site notes under fitment "excluding factory receiver". Not sure what that means but it may mean it does not fit vehicles that came from the factory with a receiver hitch. Might be worth a call to Curt to find out.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if it was mis-boxed. Does the hitch have a part number on it so you can verify it is 14374 in the box? Also, the Curt site notes under fitment "excluding factory receiver". Not sure what that means but it may mean it does not fit vehicles that came from the factory with a receiver hitch. Might be worth a call to Curt to find out.
I agree, check to make sure they didn't put the wrong receiver in the wrong box. When I installed my Draw-Tite receiver it lined up perfectly.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
As a last resort, call their tech support and be prepared to send it back.
I never installed a Curt, but I did install 2 Drawtites and they fit like a glove.

OP
OP
brumbie13

brumbie13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks for the help everybody! One concussion later and it's finally on!
I ended up having to bend it in order to get it to fit, and and to make two of the holes bigger (on the advice of the tech I spoke to a Curt), but as of today, it's done.

I haven't had a problem installing Curt hitches in the past, but I'm not thrilled with everything I had to go through to get this thing installed. I think the Curts look much more polished than the Drawtites, but after this experience, and seeing people's reviews of the Drawtite, I think next time I'll be looking their way.