Anybody ever check their upper intake bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the composite upper intake on the 5.7/6.4 Hemi's has a problem with the intake bolts loosening up over time. After noticing that the idle on my newly acquired 2016 Challenger is not as smooth as that of my 2017 RAM I started wondering about what the difference could be. I checked the intake manifold bolts on the Challenger and they were no tighter than 40 in/lbs tops against a 105 in/lb spec. It did improve the idle somewhat by the way. I decided to check the truck yesterday just for the hell of it and they were even looser than those on the Challenger. Anyway i was just curious if anyone else had ever read anything else about this or had a similar issue.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I haven't checked mine but I would not be surprised to find them loose.

105 in/lb you could almost do with your bare hands. Kidding of course.

I am concerned that torqueing them back down on an older brittle plastic intake might cause it to crack.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Big thanks to @tidefan1967 for finding this. ALL of my intake manifold bolts were loose. Several in the middle and toward the throttle body were barely finger tight.

If your truck is a few years old or you have a good amount of miles on it it's worth the 15 mins to check them. Just go slow and easy, 105 in/lbs is fairly light. It's an 8mm bolt fyi.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
NICE FIND TIDE!!!

I wont ever make jokes again about how you eat tide pods[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Seriously though. Thank you for posting this sir! Im going to check tonight and post the results[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! I will check mine (hopefully I remember) when it gets a bit warmer. 30's is too cool for me to crawl around on the motor.

I wonder if loctite is needed.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Haven’t heard of anyone having a vacuum leak caused by this but the expansion rates between materials would make this logical if a thread lock was intended.

VERY much so.

got ride of that plastic thread on my spin on filter in my 66RFE because of this very reason.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the heads up, will have to check this weekend. I just had some warranty work done where they replaced the seals (or orings, don't rememeber) because I saw some oil leaking through. Hopefully they tightened them correctly.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the heads up, will have to check this weekend. I just had some warranty work done where they replaced the seals (or orings, don't rememeber) because I saw some oil leaking through. Hopefully they tightened them correctly.

What seals did they replace?

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What seals did they replace?

On the intake. If I remember correctly there were 8 of a part number listed on the sheet. Took it in for manifold bolts and I saw an oil stain near the intake so had them check it out. Think they did the pcv orings too. I ordered a catch can after seeing that and the amount of oil just sitting in my S&b intake.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On the intake. If I remember correctly there were 8 of a part number listed on the sheet. Took it in for manifold bolts and I saw an oil stain near the intake so had them check it out. Think they did the pcv orings too. I ordered a catch can after seeing that and the amount of oil just sitting in my S&b intake.

Those damn intake seals are pricey little buggers,i replaced them on mine awhile ago,and by the time the dealer was done with me,i walked funny,lol