Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Anybody install a Class IV hitch your 1500?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Potatomafia, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Potatomafia

Potatomafia Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I'm thinking about buying a Class IV hitch for my 2015 1500 Express. I installed the Class III hitch on my old 2010 1500 which just bolts to the last frame crossmember and was super easy to install.

The Class IV bolts to the rear frame rails and looks pretty tight to the spare tire. How bad was the install? Did you have to drop the spare to get the hitch mounted?

Please share your tips/experiences with the Class IV. Thanks.

2. CVX20

CVX20 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic Express
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just traded my 2015 SLT CC 4X4 in on a 2019 Classic Express.Mine had a class IV hitch and the new one had none.I tried to get them to throw in a hitch as part of the deal and they wouldn't so I said OK I'll keep mine.Salesman said sure go for it.Crawled under to pull it off and realized the rear bumper is bolted to the hitch so without both trucks there I couldn't switch it.Called the salesman and told him the issue.He said they could do it for a price while they were switching my tires over.Yeah kept my tires that I just put on.Anyway after they got it in the air they decided they needed 4 hours labour to do the switch.Some tech was gonna make large on that job.I'd lay money I could do the switch easy in an hour without a hoist.In the end they threw in a Class III hitch and installed it free.That was fine with me the CL III is enough to pull my boat no problem and that's the heaviest I tow with it.

So to answer your question I think it could be done in well less than 2 hours,on the ground and with hand tools.

Potatomafia likes this.
  3. Loudram

Loudram Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Here's a video on installing one. My new '19 classic didn't come with one either. I plan on installing one soon. Camping season starts in April.

Potatomafia, 392DevilDog and Hemi395 like this.
  4. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I actually had a class V hitch on my express 1500. not that I would haul that much. Just wasn't much more than the IV and gave me a probably unnecessary peace of mind.

Potatomafia likes this.
  5. Shiva

Shiva Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    In the past I've bought from Uhaul and had them do the installation. The prices have been competitive and they are experts at it. Pretty much all they do. Plus you have the documentation that it was professionally installed should anything go bad in the future.

Potatomafia likes this.
  6. JayLeonard

JayLeonard Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    The last 2 hitches I installed were from etrailer.com
    Both were Drawtite. I put one on my ex, a 2005 Ram. Instructions said 15 minute install. It took me 20 minutes including gathering all the tools (2 wrenches).
    The other was on a 2018 Odyssey, and that took about 30 minutes because we had to lower the tailpipe and cut one of the lower trim panels.

Potatomafia likes this.
  7. 68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    I have purchased a lot from these guys over the last 5 or 6 years. Great customer service & many times have videos of how to install. I would check out their website. Probably the cheapest route & can give you an idea of if you want to tackle the install yourself.

8. Potatomafia

Potatomafia Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Thanks for the replies. For some reason I was thinking that the install would be a lot more involved for the Class 4/5 receivers. Looks like you have to drop the spare regardless. I'm pretty sure I could install this on my garage floor by myself.

Thanks all!

Loudram likes this.
  9. Rado

Rado US NAVY VETERAN Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6 V6
    Quyonmob and GsRAM like this.
  10. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    Having an extra pair of hands to help hold it until the bolts are in makes the job a whole lot easier. 4 hours for the dealer tech to install one? Total bs even if it was 2 men 2 hrs each.

Rado and JayLeonard like this.