Anybody install a Class IV hitch your 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Don’t you think it is the factory planners are part of the problem a brake controller no hitch give there head a shake.
I can see it the other way my 18 laramie cam with out a brake controller I had them throw it in on the sale and they did.
Absolutely

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2018 big Horn came with class IV hitch with the 4 and 7 wire connectors and tow package but no controller.. I saved the controller from my 2016 Tahoe and am installing it on the Ram this week. I bought the wiring harness adapter for the controller so it will be a plug -n- play install. Both the hitch and controller should be standard on trucks I think. :cheers:

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
All 1500trucks come with the trailer wire hoikup at the bumper and a class 3 hitch. The class 3 hitch is the bumper.

Now, that said not too many people have a trailer that will mount to the bumper and be level.

Class IV hitch is the option, which has the reciever for a drop hitch.

The trailer brake controller isn't needed if you just use a 4 plug trailer and the bumper.

They try to do this to save money for customers...the problem is...most people do not check if they have the equipment they need.. they assume.

Tradesman and bighorn are the only ones you have to pay attention to about the Class IV. They come standard with just the class 3 bumper

Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, Limited come standard with the class IV

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Another option: have your dealer install an OEM one.
My '17 came with full towing pkg, included class 4 hitch, trailer brake, mirrors, hvy engine and tranny cooling, upgraded alternator.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't care about the controller.The heaviest thing I tow is my boat and that would be well under 3 K .

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I just installed this over the weekend. I had the bolt on one but it came loose once while towing so I dont trust it.

Mopar Part No.: 55398274AD
REC KIT-TRAILER TOW

E3F73831696BF31ADF5ACD3DCAFB41414DF489A108242E0D58.png
Part Description RECEIVER KIT Trailer Tow
[XFH]

This part replaces the non-hitch cross member. You will need help to remove the bumper but it took about a hour to do the whole job. I looked at the add on ones but I like the factory parts.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2019 Ram 1500 Classic does not require a "hitch frame" I have a 600/6000 lb receiver w/ 1000/10000 load distribution that I purchased off Amazon (no longer listed), that is just the receiver as these trucks are designed to bolt thru the plastic cover in the step and then 2 bolts feed in from the side to attach to bumper frame in the truck. I spent $45.
Here is a link to nearly the same from Etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...201869716#exp-productdetails=.all-description

Gonna are the days of having to install a "hitch frame" that bolts up to the frame rails unless you need something that will exceed your trucks capacity.

The biggest issue is assuring the nearly 400 ftlbs of torque called for on the bolt going thru the bumper and the large diameter allen head socket you will need to do it with.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t you think it is the factory planners are part of the problem a brake controller no hitch give there head a shake.
I can see it the other way my 18 laramie cam with out a brake controller I had them throw it in on the sale and they did.
No its just how they do these things. I purchased a Ford Freestar new with factory towing package.............Yup you guessed it when my salesman and I went to pull it around and test drive (they had to bring it in from another dealer) I went to check the hitch and he said its not there.........They did not provide a hitch. Which suited me fine as I got to get what I wanted and did not have to pay a fortune. Tow package was only another $300 - $400, as it was wiring, engine and trany oil cooler and an additional safety overheat monitoring system.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2019 Ram 1500 Classic does not require a "hitch frame" I have a 600/6000 lb receiver w/ 1000/10000 load distribution that I purchased off Amazon (no longer listed), that is just the receiver as these trucks are designed to bolt thru the plastic cover in the step and then 2 bolts feed in from the side to attach to bumper frame in the truck. I spent $45.
Here is a link to nearly the same from Etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...201869716#exp-productdetails=.all-description

Gonna are the days of having to install a "hitch frame" that bolts up to the frame rails unless you need something that will exceed your trucks capacity.

The biggest issue is assuring the nearly 400 ftlbs of torque called for on the bolt going thru the bumper and the large diameter allen head socket you will need to do it with.

Did your kit come with a cover for the bumper step hole and if so, is it a flush fit cover or does it sit above the hole?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My Son-in-laws 1500 crew cab didn't have a hitch on it when he bought it.
We installed the heaviest Class V that etrailer offered,
is it overkill for what he will ever tow yes. For the minimal difference in price
why contemplate lighter duty hitch.
This hitch can go through the corrosive rusty weather here in the northeast
for several years and still be able to handle any trailer he would hook to.
It took a couple of hours to install,
yes we dropped the spare tire down out of the way.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ram/1500/2016/41948.html?VehicleID=201623416

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My Son-in-laws 1500 crew cab didn't have a hitch on it when he bought it.
We installed the heaviest Class V that etrailer offered,
is it overkill for what he will ever tow yes. For the minimal difference in price
why contemplate lighter duty hitch.
This hitch can go through the corrosive rusty weather here in the northeast
for several years and still be able to handle any trailer he would hook to.
It took a couple of hours to install,
yes we dropped the spare tire down out of the way.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ram/1500/2016/41948.html?VehicleID=201623416
Lou that is the hitch I have ! On winter 3 here in Maine and still looks new !

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking about buying a Class IV hitch for my 2015 1500 Express. I installed the Class III hitch on my old 2010 1500 which just bolts to the last frame crossmember and was super easy to install.

The Class IV bolts to the rear frame rails and looks pretty tight to the spare tire. How bad was the install? Did you have to drop the spare to get the hitch mounted?

Please share your tips/experiences with the Class IV. Thanks.
Had mine done at shop.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4

That is like the one that came loose on me when towing my TT, except my is the Ram version. I thinks its because what you said, it needs 400ftlb to tighten the bolt the dealer dont bother torque it and just use the gun. I guess if you tow only light things then its ok.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did your kit come with a cover for the bumper step hole and if so, is it a flush fit cover or does it sit above the hole?
No I had a cover on the bumper hole from the factory and it just goes back in place after install.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is like the one that came loose on me when towing my TT, except my is the Ram version. I thinks its because what you said, it needs 400ftlb to tighten the bolt the dealer dont bother torque it and just use the gun. I guess if you tow only light things then its ok.
A little lock-tight won't hurt either. And now that you mention it coming loose I should probably put it on the list to check.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
A little lock-tight won't hurt either. And now that you mention it coming loose I should probably put it on the list to check.

When mine came loose I put red loctite on it and torqued it to 350 ftlb because that is all my wrench would go up to. I always checked it going out every trip, it never came loose again. The thing it was always in the back of my mind (I have OCD) to the point it was driving me nuts. I looked to get it welded on but the cost of doing that and re powder coat was more then buying new.

When replacing the old with new, I had to take the bolt that goes through the bumper out, which I though was going to be a issue since it had red loctite on it. My son and I were able to get it out without much trouble, seems red loctite did not like sticking to the metal the bolts are made of.

Here is one thing to remember, if the bolts come loose and the hitch falls off the safety chains go with it as well, there will be nothing connecting the trailer to the truck. The design of the hitch is in such a way its bolted under the cross bar, the bolts come loose it just falls off. Changing it to a 1 piece unit for me was just piece of mind and safety of my family and everyone around me when towing.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I had a cover on the bumper hole from the factory and it just goes back in place after install.

Thanks. Any chance you can take a pic with the cover off, showing the bolt? I’d like to replace mine with a more flush option. Pic of mine:

JLejPIp.jpg

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my 35+ years wrenching for a living I've never heard of a hitch coming loose.I would think that would be an installation issue not a hitch issue.Now if it sheared the bolts off that's a whole different issue.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a Curt Class IV on my '11 Express. It was easy overall, drop the spare and go to town.
The silly flag bolts can be challenging, but in no way 'difficult'.

I can say that if my '16 Ram was my personal truck, I would put a Class IV hitch on it too. The factory class III is... cute.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've decided to go with a class V. Only a few bucks more than a class IV. I'll never tow that much but having a receiver that can handle 1500lb tongue vs 1000lb is nice especially when the tongue on my trailer is around 800lbs to 900lbs. It's nice to have extra room.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334