Anybody running airbags from an existing tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with Firestone Ride-Rite 2706 bags. Right now, I have them setup so I have to manually fill them, BUT I also have a Kleinn onboard air system with a 150psi 2 gallon tank. Instead of having to add another air compressor to my truck, I would like to run a line from the tank to some sort of controller so I can inflate/deflate my bags. Using a remote would be optimal.

Has anybody done this?

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
That's a good question. I had airbags on my last truck (never got to use them though), and I just installed my old Viair system in my current truck. I figured if I decided to put airbags on it, I'm already set up. I just looked at the places I know of, and its all remote controlled compressors. I thought one of them had a controller setup. Now you've got me wondering about this.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I might go this route:

Put a flow control valve on my tank, run it to a 12V solenoid(#1), then to my airbags. Then have another solenoid(#2) that's T'd off the same line (between the bags and solenoid(#1), but one end goes to the airbags and the other end has another flow control valve. Both valves set so they release air slowly. Then I use a SPDT momentay swtich. Up to fill the bags from the tank - solenoid(#1), and down to release air from the tanks - solenoid(#2).

But I'd need to find a way to see the bag pressure in the cab, and I don't want to run air lines to the gauge. Digital would be optimal.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There are lots of kits that do this. Some even have pressure sensors built into the valves, so it just a wire into the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I might go this route:

Put a flow control valve on my tank, run it to a 12V solenoid(#1), then to my airbags. Then have another solenoid(#2) that's T'd off the same line (between the bags and solenoid(#1), but one end goes to the airbags and the other end has another flow control valve. Both valves set so they release air slowly. Then I use a SPDT momentay swtich. Up to fill the bags from the tank - solenoid(#1), and down to release air from the tanks - solenoid(#2).

But I'd need to find a way to see the bag pressure in the cab, and I don't want to run air lines to the gauge. Digital would be optimal.

When I was trying to research it, that would be my solution as well, solenoids seem pretty cheap, if you have the ability to wire everything, (sounds like you do). I didn't see a self contained unit that does everything without spending $$$ for a show car kit with full airbag suspension. I think the only way to get a remote control is if you get a full kit from airlift or someone similar.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
When I was trying to research it, that would be my solution as well, solenoids seem pretty cheap, if you have the ability to wire everything, (sounds like you do). I didn't see a self contained unit that does everything without spending $$$ for a show car kit with full airbag suspension. I think the only way to get a remote control is if you get a full kit from airlift or someone similar.

I already have mine wired with a switch next to the license plate. I flip the switch up and it opens two solenoids (one to each bag) and I fill it. Then when I flip the switch off, they close and isolate each bag.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I already have mine wired with a switch next to the license plate. I flip the switch up and it opens two solenoids (one to each bag) and I fill it. Then when I flip the switch off, they close and isolate each bag.

I like that idea, air them up with one port, but keep them isolated when driving.

I don't know anything about this website, and there is very little description, but the idea what I would use in this situation. Digital gauge, and what appears to be a SPDT switch.

https://www.airbagit.com/Air-Controllers-p/air-gauge-16.htm

I didn't think about it originally, but a wireless remote control may have to much delay to be trustworthy airing up bags from a tank. Controlling a compressor, if it takes an extra 5 seconds to shut off, it won't make a big difference, a tank could be a different story. As nice as it sounds, I think personally, I would end up with a wired setup just to be safe.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I like that idea, air them up with one port, but keep them isolated when driving.

I don't know anything about this website, and there is very little description, but the idea what I would use in this situation. Digital gauge, and what appears to be a SPDT switch.

https://www.airbagit.com/Air-Controllers-p/air-gauge-16.htm

I didn't think about it originally, but a wireless remote control may have to much delay to be trustworthy airing up bags from a tank. Controlling a compressor, if it takes an extra 5 seconds to shut off, it won't make a big difference, a tank could be a different story. As nice as it sounds, I think personally, I would end up with a wired setup just to be safe.

It's nice to air them up using one port them isolate them. Then you know they're filled exactly the same.

The wireless remote would be nice, but not necessary. Just a SPDT switch in the cab and a gauge would be enough.

Thanks for that link! That might be the winner! I've seen that sensor on Amazon, but couldn't figure out what gauge to use or how to use it.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do I do, but it's a 1500 not a 2500. It's to a 1 gallon pump, and tank that I use for my horns, and to air up the firestones. Unfortunately it has to use the pump more than I would like because i have such a small tank. I have a 120PSI cutoff, so once you start getting around 70PSI on the bags, it slows down a bit.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I do I do, but it's a 1500 not a 2500. It's to a 1 gallon pump, and tank that I use for my horns, and to air up the firestones. Unfortunately it has to use the pump more than I would like because i have such a small tank. I have a 120PSI cutoff, so once you start getting around 70PSI on the bags, it slows down a bit.

Do you manually fill your bags?

Luckily I have a 2 gallon/150 psi tank.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And the winner is...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B012ZYX...colid=3FIU9C7SB5O7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

A little pricey, but after some email and research we can pump our tanks (150 psi max) into this and this will give us all of the functions we're looking for. There are a lot of reviews that say the remote distance isn't great, so either locate the ECU under the truck somewhere close to the driver, or deal with leveling your truck while you're outside. Which I think is the point of everything anyway.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you manually fill your bags?

Luckily I have a 2 gallon/150 psi tank.

I read this as, do I manually have to fill them up. If you mean do I have to press a button in the cab, then yes, I manually fill them that way. I can't de-fill them from the cab, not yet anyways. I generally use them when i'm off road, or, when i'm towing / hauling things.

It's still pretty neat though.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I read this as, do I manually have to fill them up. If you mean do I have to press a button in the cab, then yes, I manually fill them that way. I can't de-fill them from the cab, not yet anyways. I generally use them when i'm off road, or, when i'm towing / hauling things.

It's still pretty neat though.
I should have been more clear. I meant do you have to setup some type of air supply, and fill them up like you would a tire. But I see that you don't.

Thanks!