Anybody use these ceramic spray,s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are ceramic sprays really better than old school waxing ? Im thinking of trying one of these products or do you recommend something else

20200717_002309.jpg

20200717_002247.jpg

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recommend technicians choice ceramic detail. Isn't over priced and actually enhances gloss and last a good while.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the Turtle Wax "Hybrid ceramic" car wash and detail spray. I thought I'd grabbed a bottle of the ceramic spray wax, but... It surprised me how much just using the car wash improved the looks and water beading. I used the detail spray on my tryke and it came out looking pretty damn good. Going to get some of the spray wax and see how that does, but I like it so far.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Are ceramic sprays really better than old school waxing ? Im thinking of trying one of these products or do you recommend something else

View attachment 215716

View attachment 215717
For me, I'm a Groits fan for a couple of decades. Yes, they are a bit costly, but I'm hooked. If I can't get Groits, then I'll move to Meguires. Meguires has been around for like ever.

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have our Ceramic Spray Coating on my Ram, easy on easy off.
Lasting protection for a year & crazy shine.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramic-spray-coating
I watched a video of your product and it looks like a good product. The problem is everybody says there's is the best. As a consumer how do i really know your product actually works good ? And is it true you have to throw away the microfiber rags after each application?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I used to be a hardcore paste or liquid wax guy. My go to for like 30yrs had been the ol' orange bottle of NuFinish.

Last year I got hooked on Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. The stuff is absolutely awesome. Sprays on clear, doesn't haze and wipes right off. Can apply in the sun or even little beads of water you didn't get don't effect it's application.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For durability and "sterile" looks (i.e. not warm but an always "wet" look): Coating > sealant > paste wax

For warm, deep looks: paste wax > sealant > coating

The sprays are just fine, but I think they tend to not last as long as real solvent based coatings. The flipside is that they are MUCH EASIER to apply, so even if they dont last as long, its just a matter of cleaning up the paint a bit and re-spraying.

Ive never tried a spray on, Ive only ever used coatings like Optimum Glass Coat and 22PLE HPC. I dont wash my vehicles nearly as much as I should, so I feel more comfortable with a "real" coating that is proven to last 2+ years, since I wont be consistently replenishing it (like I would with a spray on) after every wash.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For durability and "sterile" looks (i.e. not warm but an always "wet" look): Coating > sealant > paste wax

For warm, deep looks: paste wax > sealant > coating

The sprays are just fine, but I think they tend to not last as long as real solvent based coatings. The flipside is that they are MUCH EASIER to apply, so even if they dont last as long, its just a matter of cleaning up the paint a bit and re-spraying.

Ive never tried a spray on, Ive only ever used coatings like Optimum Glass Coat and 22PLE HPC. I dont wash my vehicles nearly as much as I should, so I feel more comfortable with a "real" coating that is proven to last 2+ years, since I wont be consistently replenishing it (like I would with a spray on) after every wash.
I would look into the tech choice it does very good for a spray on and actually protects. I ordered a gallon last week. After I tried a samole. I used f11 top coat and torq mirror shine prior Imo those 2 are just hype and over priced

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look into the tech choice it does very good for a spray on and actually protects. I ordered a gallon last week. After I tried a samole. I used f11 top coat and torq mirror shine prior Imo those 2 are just hype and over priced

TBH anything Ive seen advertised on Facebook is hype and overpriced. F11, etc.

Optimum OptiCoat was "the first" way back when....I had my G37 done in 2012 and it lasted forever. Only needed to be redone after a dealer gave me a "free car wash" and swirled the ever living hell out of it. BUT the paint underneath was spared. Had the dealer pay for a detailer to fix and re-apply Opticoat Pro.

Had same detailer put OptiCoat Pro on my wifes car, and 5 years later it still beads like new. Some contamination spots (lower door panels, rockers, etc) wont show as much beading, but once I do a chemical decon on it, it goes back to day 1.

Used 22ple HPC on my RAM and a year later, water doesnt stick to it....I can spray with a garden hose on jet, shower, whatever and the water beads and falls off just about as quickly as it hits the panel.

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions the problem is there's to many choices im not looking to spend hundreds of dollars to keep trying them all

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
TBH anything Ive seen advertised on Facebook is hype and overpriced. F11, etc.

Optimum OptiCoat was "the first" way back when....I had my G37 done in 2012 and it lasted forever. Only needed to be redone after a dealer gave me a "free car wash" and swirled the ever living hell out of it. BUT the paint underneath was spared. Had the dealer pay for a detailer to fix and re-apply Opticoat Pro.

Had same detailer put OptiCoat Pro on my wifes car, and 5 years later it still beads like new. Some contamination spots (lower door panels, rockers, etc) wont show as much beading, but once I do a chemical decon on it, it goes back to day 1.

Used 22ple HPC on my RAM and a year later, water doesnt stick to it....I can spray with a garden hose on jet, shower, whatever and the water beads and falls off just about as quickly as it hits the panel.
Is that an actual coating or is it a spray on? I can see a legit coating lasting that long but tech choice is for us poor folk that want the protection but don't have 1500 bucks to coat our trucks lol. It'll last a good 6 months from what I have seen granted that's not 5 years but for 35 a gallon I have enough to protect my truck that long for a lot less. Don't get me wrong I wish I had the money to do pay for a full paint correction and coating but it's just not in the cards at the moment.

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recommend technicians choice ceramic detail. Isn't over priced and actually enhances gloss and last a good while.

Good video i might have to give techs choice a shot

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good video i might have to give techs choice a shot
I look at it like this for 35 bucks if it meets expectations you have years of protection from the gallon. If it doesn't you got a gallon for the price of 16oz of most others that I wouldn't want anyway. The Turtle wax polish hybred the new one seems to be pretty awesome as well. I plan to pick up the one for black cars and do a mild correction myself then coat that with the tech choice. For a spray on the fact you can actually see the tech choice break down harsh chemicals that get on it to protect is awesome then the fact that it's still there and not completely removed is also impressive

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are ceramic sprays that are good but only last for a few months. then there are actual coatings that you need to have paint correction done before hand and last for 2 to five years. I used Adams ceramic spray on my truck and it came out really nice. Obviously it won't last for years but using their prep spray first made it come out really nice.

I have also had Opticoat pro on my old SRT and it was awesome. The ceramic coating part isn't that expensive. it is the paint correction that cost a lot of money and time. you can get the actual coating for 100 bucks or less. You just have to be careful if you put it on yourself. if you put a streak in it there it will stay.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that an actual coating or is it a spray on? I can see a legit coating lasting that long but tech choice is for us poor folk that want the protection but don't have 1500 bucks to coat our trucks lol. It'll last a good 6 months from what I have seen granted that's not 5 years but for 35 a gallon I have enough to protect my truck that long for a lot less. Don't get me wrong I wish I had the money to do pay for a full paint correction and coating but it's just not in the cards at the moment.

Those were all actual coatings.....at the time spray on coatings were unheard of, actually (unless you sprayed OptiCoat, etc on with an HVLP sprayer or airbrush)

Prices back then were $500-600 for correction and application. As OptiCoat became too big for its britches and other companies started into the coating business, prices went up pretty quickly to $1K+.

Like @Mike Townsend said its all in the labor of the correction. But, the flipside is that you can do the exact same amount of labor to apply a wax or sealant....it depends how far you want to take it. Personally, I want my car at 90+% even just for a wax or sealant, so the only difference in cost at that point would be the materials for the last step (wax vs sealant vs coating). And in all honesty, coatings arent THAT expensive, especially if you divide the cost by years you dont necessarily have to re-seal or re-wax the vehicle.

OP
OP
Simpleman

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I look at it like this for 35 bucks if it meets expectations you have years of protection from the gallon. If it doesn't you got a gallon for the price of 16oz of most others that I wouldn't want anyway. The Turtle wax polish hybred the new one seems to be pretty awesome as well. I plan to pick up the one for black cars and do a mild correction myself then coat that with the tech choice. For a spray on the fact you can actually see the tech choice break down harsh chemicals that get on it to protect is awesome then the fact that it's still there and not completely removed is also impressive

I saw another video of tech choice from a detailer jimbo and i have to say im impressed and so was he and your right about buying a gallon and having a couple years of protection im gonna order some today thanks for the heads up

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I saw another video of tech choice from a detailer jimbo and i have to say im impressed and so was he and your right about buying a gallon and having a couple years of protection im gonna order some today thanks for the heads up
No problem. Figured I'd spread the word before it hits it's hype train and turns into 300 a gallon lol

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the turtle wax hybrid ceramic wax and spray coating on my brothers truck last week. Turned out good.

20200708_153209.jpg

20200708_153507.jpg