Anyone change a cabin air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with 93K miles. Saw a commercial for cabin air filters the other day and it got me thinking I should probably change mine after this long.

Anyone ever do this? I saw a video where a guy had to cut out a new hole in the plastic to remove/replace his filter, and then covered that up with a Mopar replacement part.

Is it this complicated, or is there an easier way to get at that filter? From what I've been seeing, this is the way to do it- just curious if anyone has done this.

Cabin air filter mod video I was referring to.

Last edited:

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything older than 2017 will not have a filter. That video shows how to install one on 2009 to 2016 models. If your going to add a filter now, I would clean the evaporator in the air box as they clog up with debris and slow down air flow.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So my 2014 didn't have a cabin air filter from the factory. I added one to help my wife with her allergies when she is in the truck. Is it really needed??? Considering up to this truck and her Jeep we never had them before, so it is questionable. You have the option of adding one but otherwise you don't have one to change.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Just bought one for my truck the other day but haven't changed it yet. Will do it this weekend. Has 20,000 miles on it so might still be good but I'll change it anyway

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just bought one for my truck the other day but haven't changed it yet. Will do it this weekend. Has 20,000 miles on it so might still be good but I'll change it anyway

What year is your truck?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
On my 2015 I had to cut the opening in, A pain but doable, Just use a SHARP razor knife to make the cuts. Some heat the blade, It does catch a lot of crap and keeps the coil clean so IMO worth it

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On my 2015 I had to cut the opening in, A pain but doable, Just use a SHARP razor knife to make the cuts. Some heat the blade, It does catch a lot of crap and keeps the coil clean so IMO worth it

I saw someone use a Dremel for the cut. I might or drill some guide holes in the corners and give that a shot.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I saw someone use a Dremel for the cut. I might or drill some guide holes in the corners and give that a shot.
Yea Dremel or a oscillating tool also works, The minor isse with a dremel id the plastic dust falling into the fan, But you can probably blow it out ! It is a tight space but not too bad. You can get the kit on E Bay for $10.00 + I got a spare door and filter for 10$, The CAF door is a pain to click on FYI
But watch a few You Tube videos on it and yo
u will see the process

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So my 2014 didn't have a cabin air filter from the factory. I added one to help my wife with her allergies when she is in the truck. Is it really needed??? Considering up to this truck and her Jeep we never had them before, so it is questionable. You have the option of adding one but otherwise you don't have one to change.

The only thing I think it helps with is keeping dust from building up on the heater core. As far as helping with allergies, you are not in a sealed environment so the second you open the door or roll down a window the entire cabin is "contaminated" if you will.

I installed one in my 2016 but it restricted the air flow too much for my liking and I removed it. Hated having the fan running on high making all that noise just to get some air moving.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On my 2014 there was no opening or filter to be found. I had to cut out the opening and purchase the kit with door & filter in it. Wasn't hard to do.

I used a Dremel with a small cylinder shaped cutting tool and took my time. It's a bit of an awkward space to get into and having a work light helped a lot.

On my 2017 the door and the filter were already installed by the factory.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will notice it might look good, but it will be alot heavier than the new one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to cut it out on my 14. Slowly with a utility ( sheet rock knife ) Knife . make slow easy passes and its a nice clean job . My 17 came with an OE filter .

icebmardiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I install it on my 2015 and did the cutout thing and all that. I think it helped a bit, din't hurt! So, yeah, Its good.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have not added the cabin air filter on my 2015 yet, and have 122k miles on the odo.

I'm sure my evap coil has some crud on it.

Can anyone link me to a good writeup or vid on the evap cleaning? Thanks in advance.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's 16 had a door but no filter. Just popped one in when I changed mine out.

Octane

Reaction score
The vehicles I had a filter in it seemed more dust was on the dashboard than on the vehicles that didnt have a filter to start with.I believe they are mostly a waste of money.May help with allergies...

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The vehicles I had a filter in it seemed more dust was on the dashboard than on the vehicles that didnt have a filter to start with.I believe they are mostly a waste of money.May help with allergies...
I noticed that too