Anyone done an exhaust yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since no catbacks are available yet, just curious if anyone has done a muffler swap (with or w/o keeping the reso's).................

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since no catbacks are available yet, just curious if anyone has done a muffler swap (with or w/o keeping the reso's).................

I swapped the muffler out for a Flowmaster Super 10. Sounds pretty good. Left the resonators as it took away some of the tinny racing sound that I didn't like about it. Was originally going to do the 40 series but the shop was afraid it wouldn't be loud enough after looking at the setup. I'm happy with it the way it turned out.

I'll do a full catback system at some point along with the new Mopar intake when it comes out.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swapped the muffler out for a Flowmaster Super 10. Sounds pretty good. Left the resonators as it took away some of the tinny racing sound that I didn't like about it. Was originally going to do the 40 series but the shop was afraid it wouldn't be loud enough after looking at the setup. I'm happy with it the way it turned out.

I'll do a full catback system at some point along with the new Mopar intake when it comes out.

I've seen a lot of people talking about getting catbacks for these new trucks and was just wondering what the advantages are of doing full cat back vs just a muffler swap? Do the catbacks have different diameter piping or a different design for better flow?

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen a lot of people talking about getting catbacks for these new trucks and was just wondering what the advantages are of doing full cat back vs just a muffler swap? Do the catbacks have different diameter piping or a different design for better flow?

A full catback system typically allows for more output snd smoother airflow. It works best when paired with an upgraded intake. More air in, plus more air out = more power. If you do just one or the other, you're still restricted somewhere.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A full catback system typically allows for more output snd smoother airflow. It works best when paired with an upgraded intake. More air in, plus more air out = more power. If you do just one or the other, you're still restricted somewhere.

So there is some difference in design of the pipes to allow smoother airflow? I can certainly understand the stock muffler being very restrictive, I guess my next question would be, how much more airflow would you get doing a cai w/ catback vs cai w/ muffler swap? I've always just done muffler swaps because I can do it for a total of around $150 installed and didnt think the extra money for a catback would make enough of a difference to justify all the extra money. That and I feel weird replacing the whole system when everything is in great condition.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So there is some difference in design of the pipes to allow smoother airflow? I can certainly understand the stock muffler being very restrictive, I guess my next question would be, how much more airflow would you get doing a cai w/ catback vs cai w/ muffler swap? I've always just done muffler swaps because I can do it for a total of around $150 installed and didnt think the extra money for a catback would make enough of a difference to justify all the extra money. That and I feel weird replacing the whole system when everything is in great condition.

I'm not sure what the exact numbers would be. Doing a muffler swap definitely makes a difference just not as much. There is a difference in the design of the pipes. Usually a full catback system will have smoother bends and it helps. Some people put new headers on at the same time and then it really makes a difference.

I'm not sure what setup would get you the most bang for your buck. Well find out as more options become available. All I've done in the past is just the muffler swap and that's it. This will be the first one I do anything more extensive on. I'll get the Mopar air intake when it comes out and then look at my exhaust options. I'm still looking for a little bit meaner sound than what the Super 10 is giving me, but I do like the sound of it and it's good enough for now. I hate the quietness of a stock exhaust.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure what the exact numbers would be. Doing a muffler swap definitely makes a difference just not as much. There is a difference in the design of the pipes. Usually a full catback system will have smoother bends and it helps. Some people put new headers on at the same time and then it really makes a difference.

I'm not sure what setup would get you the most bang for your buck. Well find out as more options become available. All I've done in the past is just the muffler swap and that's it. This will be the first one I do anything more extensive on. I'll get the Mopar air intake when it comes out and then look at my exhaust options. I'm still looking for a little bit meaner sound than what the Super 10 is giving me, but I do like the sound of it and it's good enough for now. I hate the quietness of a stock exhaust.

Thanks for the info, it would be very interesting to find out what those numbers would be to determine the cost effectiveness and worth of either of these options. I've always just done CAI and muffler swaps as well, except with my 66 buick which I did longtubes and full custom exhaust on w/cutouts. I like the way the super 10 sounds at idle and rev but didn't like the sound it made going down the road as much. I went with the cherry bomb extreme for my last 2 trucks mostly because I love how clean it sounds on hard acceleration and deceleration coming back down the rpms. I actually have 2 of them on my 66 currently as well, finally got the sound I wanted with with them. When I got the car 15 years ago it had glass packs on it, then I tried a flowmaster 40s, and now these for the last few years and I'm finally very happy with the way the car sounds.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the 4th and 5th gen mufflers the same? Inlet/outlet, etc? I'm about to trade my 2014 for a 2019 and have a mufflex 18" on but I kept my stock muffler.

Has anyone swapped from 4th to 5th gen?

Chris Lytle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the 4th and 5th gen mufflers the same? Inlet/outlet, etc? I'm about to trade my 2014 for a 2019 and have a mufflex 18" on but I kept my stock muffler.

Has anyone swapped from 4th to 5th gen?

The 4th and 5th gen mufflers are nothing alike. 4th gen is one inlet with two outlets. The 5th gen is one 3" inlet with one 3" outlet that splits after the muffler with a 'Y' pipe.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was thinking about ordering a MBRP and I "think" their common muffle rin their catbacks is packed not chambered, right? 30" muffler though

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would be interested to hear the sound of some of your trucks with the replaced mufflers..

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well just like the guy that posted his new truck with a Borla muffler, I to have joined the Borla crowd. Borla ProXS SI/SO muffler. Sounds real deep. Its no where near loud at all. Once started and truck idles down, its barely louder. Cruise is same way just a few louder over stock. But acceleration sound is marvelous!

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Again with my change of plans lol. I’m still going with the Borla muffler that I have, but I’m going to wait on those Mopar 5” black chrome tips. So my set up will be just replacing my current muffler and those whimsy factory tips.10f04ed20f6660c92bf8800397a93974.jpg8cf740aaeccd43b9c64c341fba46c067.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like Magnaflow should have a catback released early next month (about a week or 2)

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have audio of the AFE?

Got to say I don't care for the AFe logo on the black tip.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wonder if there is any way to get that exhaust MINUS their logo stamped on there ?