Anyone elses HEMI high idle??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
It's -11 C here today, autostarted truck and let it run for approx 5-7min, came out and it was pegged at 1350rpm. Not showing any signs of starting to come down to normal idle speed.

Opened the door and disengaged autostart, RPM stayed the same. Was already blowing warm air from the vents.

Shut the truck off and starded it right back up, RPM went straight to 600.

This is the second time it's done this, once previously on another similarly cold day. But if it were -5C for (yesterday for example) no issues.

No CEL or throttle light

This is an 18 Sport BTW... need to update sig

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine starts high and comes down slow. The colder it is the longer it stays at higher rpm at idle but I’ve never had it stick. Also I’m In Florida is my coldest start has been about 50*f

micbegls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I notice my truck does this too, but it seems like it only does it when its the first cold day in a while. Im in north nj so say its been 50s for a few days, when it dips back town to the 30s itll do it for a day or 2.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idles high when cold until you put it in gear once all all of my dodges did this. Although seams a little high not sure if colder the higher but mine when cold idles just below 1k

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's -11 C here today, autostarted truck and let it run for approx 5-7min, came out and it was pegged at 1350rpm. Not showing any signs of starting to come down to normal idle speed.

Opened the door and disengaged autostart, RPM stayed the same. Was already blowing warm air from the vents.

Shut the truck off and starded it right back up, RPM went straight to 600.

This is the second time it's done this, once previously on another similarly cold day. But if it were -5C for (yesterday for example) no issues.

No CEL or throttle light

This is an 18 Sport BTW... need to update sig

Try tapping the gas pedal,and bring the rpm up abit above what it's idling at.Mine will idle high if started cold ,but if I give it a bit of gas,then return the pedal back to idle,it always comes down to it's normal idle,then I put it in gear.

OP
OP
MyOhFive

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Try tapping the gas pedal,and bring the rpm up abit above what it's idling at.Mine will idle high if started cold ,but if I give it a bit of gas,then return the pedal back to idle,it always comes down to it's normal idle,then I put it in gear.

I will try that, I guess my question/concern was is the behaviour normal to begin with? Or is it possibly a stuck/malfunctioning IAC motor? (Do they have have IAC motors anymore!?)

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Temps are finally becoming "normal" for the winter around here and I too thought mine was idling high for too long (around 1350 RPM for 5-10 minutes). I did some observing since I saw this post and it appears the idle will drop below 1000 RPM when the coolant temp gets to 140F. If the truck has been plugged in and/or warmer outside the idle drops down quicker of course. Probably did this last winter too and I already forgot lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
1350 is like a perfect idle, I wouldn't change anything. Low idle is s suspect in these cams issues, I wouldn't make a habit of idling a lot anyhow, but if I did I would be glad to see it at that level.

Morgan Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also notice a pretty good squirt of fuel at startup, particularly when cooler out. My pipes are loud and first start wakes up all the chickens - and the wife. Wonder if there's a setting somewhere in the ECU brain that might dial this back a bit. I think 1000 rpm is plenty high for cold start then quickly drop to 650-700 once everything's happy.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I will try that, I guess my question/concern was is the behaviour normal to begin with? Or is it possibly a stuck/malfunctioning IAC motor? (Do they have have IAC motors anymore!?)

Negative, these are Drive by wire TBs, no IAC. The tb blade is the IAC valve which the pcm adjusts for idle speed.

Maybe the TB blade was stuck and it was hanging, Ice perhaps or something. I would have given it a little gas to get the rpms up and then let off and see if the rpms when down.