Anyone Engaging 4WD and / or are frustrated with lack of LOCKER performance READ THIS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
A. The lockers are only available in low range.
B. Switch into low range and ESC turns off automatically.

I cannot speak to previous generations, but for the gen 5 PW the “ super secret cheat code” isn’t necessary.

As stated above, RTFM. (Which actually in this case, isn’t even necessary, just read the message in the dash cluster)

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
It is EXACTLY for Topics and Threads like this for why I joined RAMForum!

I'm not a dumb man or an overly smart man, but I do know that I don't know what I don't know. I appreciate that there is this type of information (And counter discussion) here to learn from. (+) 1,000 to @Brakelate.
Yep. Went through the different drivetrain configurations and depressed the switch for the full 5 to 10 seconds.

It did not give an audible tone/beep, but the dash told me that the Stability Control was disabled/off.

Between each mode, to get it to tell me that the Stability Control was disabled / off, I had to turn the Traction Control back on, and then cycle it off to get the full confirmation that the Stability Control had turned off. To this last point, I don know (cannot confirm) that the Stability Control ever turned back on in-between changes in drivetrain configuration. But by conducting a full on / off / hold for 5 - 10 seconds each time, I confirmed that it was finally off.

Cannot wait to get off the endless pavement and do a personal comparison test of performance difference, as reported by the OP @Brakelate

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You don't have to leave the pavement to confirm TCS is off. Step hard on the gas and it will bark the tires. It won't with TCS on. I did it in 2 wheel drive so far. Haven't tried that yet in 4x4.

I can also confirm that turning TCS full off in high 4x4 makes a huge improvement on really muddy rutted roads. TCS on truck doesn’t want to move, off it moves just fine.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
You don't have to leave the pavement to confirm TCS is off. Step hard on the gas and it will bark the tires. It won't with TCS on. I did it in 2 wheel drive so far. Haven't tried that yet in 4x4.

I can also confirm that turning TCS full off in high 4x4 makes a huge improvement on really muddy rutted roads. TCS on truck doesn’t want to move, off it moves just fine.
OK. I will now proceed outside to go test this (not that I don't trust you, as I do) to annoy my wife and neighbors for a couple of minutes seeing what the back wheels will do.

I'm still learning this truck. Quite a step up from my 30 year old Dodge (that runs like a champ).

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A. The lockers are only available in low range.
B. Switch into low range and ESC turns off automatically.

I cannot speak to previous generations, but for the gen 5 PW the “ super secret cheat code” isn’t necessary.

As stated above, RTFM. (Which actually in this case, isn’t even necessary, just read the message in the dash cluster)

A. definitately not true. on '19 and up rear locker is available in 4hi an 2Hi

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the original post is older, but a few comments on my '16 PW.
- There is no indication of anything going on if you hold the TC button for over 5 seconds....no chime, no extra lights, no blinks, etc... If you just tap it once the TC off messages comes on. Holding it down longer does nothing obvious. With just tapping the button once and getting the TC off message there is no obvious indication any traction or stability control is working? I've played around on a snowy parking lot doing donuts and spinning the tires and can't tell any difference between just tapping the TC button once versus holding it down longer.
- When shifting into 4 low the TC automatically turns off and message shows up. There is no obvious sign of any traction or stability control at this time. I have personally had the truck in low range, 3rd gear, full throttle around 5,000 rpm spinning in mud. This means the tires were spinning around 30 mph. Both front and rear lockers engaged and swaybar disconnected. I did not notice any flashing lights on the locker or swaybar controls....but maybe I just didn't notice them? I was spinning the tires for at least 10 seconds (have it on video).
- In 2 Hi and TC still on, it will still spin the rear tires and will get sideways until the TC kicks on after a second or two. Not like the TC immediately limits power and wheelspin when you first hit the gas. On wet roads you still have to be careful, such as pulling out from the drive or turning from a stop sign as the truck will easily get sideways on you.
- In snow or mud in 2 Hi with the TC still on, it will still spin the rear tires the entire time. Just not that fast after it kicks in. Maybe feels like you are only at 1/4 throttle even with your foot to the floor, but the rear tires are still spinning.
- In general, the TC on my PW is not nearly as "aggressive" as our minivan or car. On the minivan if you floor from a stop on snow it almost immediately kicks on.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the original post is older, but a few comments on my '16 PW.
- There is no indication of anything going on if you hold the TC button for over 5 seconds....no chime, no extra lights, no blinks, etc... If you just tap it once the TC off messages comes on. Holding it down longer does nothing obvious. With just tapping the button once and getting the TC off message there is no obvious indication any traction or stability control is working? I've played around on a snowy parking lot doing donuts and spinning the tires and can't tell any difference between just tapping the TC button once versus holding it down longer.
- When shifting into 4 low the TC automatically turns off and message shows up. There is no obvious sign of any traction or stability control at this time. I have personally had the truck in low range, 3rd gear, full throttle around 5,000 rpm spinning in mud. This means the tires were spinning around 30 mph. Both front and rear lockers engaged and swaybar disconnected. I did not notice any flashing lights on the locker or swaybar controls....but maybe I just didn't notice them? I was spinning the tires for at least 10 seconds (have it on video).
- In 2 Hi and TC still on, it will still spin the rear tires and will get sideways until the TC kicks on after a second or two. Not like the TC immediately limits power and wheelspin when you first hit the gas. On wet roads you still have to be careful, such as pulling out from the drive or turning from a stop sign as the truck will easily get sideways on you.
- In snow or mud in 2 Hi with the TC still on, it will still spin the rear tires the entire time. Just not that fast after it kicks in. Maybe feels like you are only at 1/4 throttle even with your foot to the floor, but the rear tires are still spinning.
- In general, the TC on my PW is not nearly as "aggressive" as our minivan or car. On the minivan if you floor from a stop on snow it almost immediately kicks on.
No lockers but on my 2017 outdoorsman holding the TC for 5 seconds and getting the chime then message works but only in 4 Hi.