Anyone Ever Found Wheelskins/hubcaps for this Factory Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm finding lots of aftermarket wheelskins/hubcap replacements for other styles, but none for this one. Anyone recall off hand if a black gloss or matte replacement cap is available? These are the 2009 Chrome clad hubcaps in 20", and I see people yanking them off, cleaning off the glue, and putting replacements on similar style OEM Ram wheels.

wheel.jpg

Example, but for the wrong style wheel.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Why not plastidip the chrome instead of goin through all that trouble

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not plastidip the chrome instead of goin through all that trouble
I did, looks like crap, lol! Badges and emblems and even the grill were easy, but the big flat surfaces it just doesn't look that even and the dirt really sticks to that rubberized material more than I expected.

I guess I could bring it somewhere to just wrap them instead.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I did, looks like crap, lol! Badges and emblems and even the grill were easy, but the big flat surfaces it just doesn't look that even and the dirt really sticks to that rubberized material more than I expected.

I guess I could bring it somewhere to just wrap them instead.
Yea, on the big flat surfaces you have to do like 10-12 light coats or it will forever look streaky. It's not hard to pull the cladding off, but it's not the most fun either. You could always tear the dip off, sand the snot out of them and hit them with rustoleum bed liner. But it's hard to get anything to stick to the plastic chrome. I went through a ton of aggravation on my grill before I sanded it down with like 60 grit and bedlinered it.

Try some armor all, tire shine, back to black etc style products. I forget what I used but there's one that leaves a non greasy shine on it and the dirt didn't stick bad, rinsed off pretty easy and they looked much better. I did it to my forged power wagon wheels on my 2500 for winters. Just don't spray it directly to the dip, it gets gummy, I wiped it with a microfiber rag I sprayed.

That may buy you some time until you find some options. EBay always has wheel skins. What wheels do you have?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 20" 2009 ones pictured in the first post are what I have. I'm wondering if I can salvage the plastidip I already have on there, use WD40 or something to soften it, smooth it, and then apply a few fresh coats on top so it looks more even.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The 20" 2009 ones pictured in the first post are what I have. I'm wondering if I can salvage the plastidip I already have on there, use WD40 or something to soften it, smooth it, and then apply a few fresh coats on top so it looks more even.
If you're gonna add more, soap and water wash them, LIGHTLY sand any drips or runs with like 400 grit and spray them with like 4 more light coats. Plastidip likes to be thick, and if you remove the wheel it seems to self level better and not sag.

It's pretty absorbent tho so if you wd40 them or any other shine product I don't think fresh dip will stick. I'd say you can get them to look good without much more than 4 more cans and some patience. Figure a can per wheel will give you more than enough.

I'm not a big fan of it, but in some applications like yours it's the most user friendly and best bet for decent results.

Post some pics of it now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. I've got the same rims, no one makes a skin for them. Someone sent me some they said were black, but they were just painted. I thought of sandblasting the chrome off and painting them correctly, but since I don't have a blaster of my own, it'd be a bit expensive. I'm just looking for black wheels at this point.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plastic chrome? LOL

If it's plastic, it ain't chrome. It's just shiny plastic. Chrome plating is electroplating metal with a layer of chromium.

I'm just waiting for my shiny plastic grille to start bubbling, wrinkling, then flaking off like the shiny plastic grille on my 2001 Ram did. I just hope, at the time, that someone makes a real chrome grille replacement like I got from LMCTruck...and hope it doesn't sing between 35-45 and above 70 mph like that one did.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Plastic chrome? LOL

If it's plastic, it ain't chrome. It's just shiny plastic. Chrome plating is electroplating metal with a layer of chromium.

I'm just waiting for my shiny plastic grille to start bubbling, wrinkling, then flaking off like the shiny plastic grille on my 2001 Ram did. I just hope, at the time, that someone makes a real chrome grille replacement like I got from LMCTruck...and hope it doesn't sing between 35-45 and above 70 mph like that one did.

Hate to tell you this but it's virtually the same process, chrome is chrome regardless of the substrate. It's still metal plated.
https://www.cybershieldinc.com/chrome-plating-plastic/

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stand corrected, Razzman. Thanks for that info. Reading up on the electro-less plating process, the plastic has to be coated with another metal before being electroplated with chrome. I didn't understand how plastic could be electrically charged to be electroplated...because it isn't. Its metal coating is.

I could peel off the chrome on my previous grille when it started bubbling. That made me think it was just a shiny sticker on the plastic. It's still a cheap (half-assed) alternative that doesn't last as long as real chroming and looks really bad when it starts to go. All in the name of saving money and weight.

Thanks again.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm finding lots of aftermarket wheelskins/hubcap replacements for other styles, but none for this one. Anyone recall off hand if a black gloss or matte replacement cap is available? These are the 2009 Chrome clad hubcaps in 20", and I see people yanking them off, cleaning off the glue, and putting replacements on similar style OEM Ram wheels.

View attachment 187998

seen them on ebay ,But your style might not be what they have also I think any of the covers fit on your rims because they are all the same ,just the covers are different

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I've seen - the rims underneath are usually fairly close to what the chrome cover looks like. There's a couple of threads on this site when people have removed the chrome cladding. Heck if the one she's showing looked the same underneath, I'd pull the chrome and paint the aluminum. But I don't think they look as good.

I've been watching CL - just got a set of black '18 sport rims for $250.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

View attachment 187998

These guys seem to have quite a selection for a number of model years for the ram.
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/1916/dodge_ram_1500_chrome_wheel_skins_hubcaps_wheelcovers.html

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same one's on my 2012. I have looked a lot for black covers and nothing. A while back I found some chrome ones but they are no longer available. I am planning to sand and paint mine black. My chrome is pitted and scratched so I don't think I can make them worse. I looked at plasidip but want more durable solution. I also looked at removing the cladding and powder coating. That would look great but the problem is there are no center caps that fit so you have to go without or machine your own. I'm going to try the paint first.

Jeepstr723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this exact same wheel skin, bought a used one on ebay. My original was destroyed when I could not find my wheel lock to remove my tires. Shop had to burn the nut off, thus destroying my skin. My problem now is that I do not know what kind of 3M adhesive or any adhesive that would work to keep the replacement on. Any suggestions???