Anyone ever see rust here before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 1500 Crew Cab has some rust forming on the passengers front door side edge about halfway up. I know the door bottoms rust out on these trucks but those look brand new because the trucks been Fluid Filmed since 2015.

I didn't get many before pics but I scraped the seam sealer off the back side of the door and ground down any rust I found. Talk about a can of worms, it was pretty much the length of the door panel. Thankfully it hadn't gotten too far onto the front of the door.
20201024_120823.jpg

I ended up painting it with 3 coats of etch primer and then 3 coats of black. I don't care what it looks like on the back side of the door, I just want to stop the rust.
20211016_124911.jpg

I drive a work van for work and have driven many rot box spare vans in the 14 years I've been doing this job and I have never seen a door rust here.
I checked the other 3 doors as well as the hood and tailgate and they were all perfect. I'm thinking it wasn't prepped right at the factory??

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, that sucks. Only 8 years old too. But, these ****** New England winters will do that.
I have a little bit of rust on the inside of driver's wheel well. It really ****** me off. Truck is a 2016 and I actually noticed it a couple of years ago. I may have to try to fix it myself. We'll see.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forgot to put a pic of toilet finished product. Not terrible but thankfully no one really pays attention to this part of the door...
20211017_144108.jpg

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, that sucks. Only 8 years old too. But, these ****** New England winters will do that.
I have a little bit of rust on the inside of driver's wheel well. It really ****** me off. Truck is a 2016 and I actually noticed it a couple of years ago. I may have to try to fix it myself. We'll see.

Yep, road salt is just spectacular:laughing1:

Which drivers wheel well, front or back?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man that IS a weird spot to go and I live in one of the rustiest places on the planet. Buffalo NY.

Sounds like you did excellent in terms of slowing it down for some years to come. Worst case you throw a new or good used door on it.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man that IS a weird spot to go and I live in one of the rustiest places on the planet. Buffalo NY.

Sounds like you did excellent in terms of slowing it down for some years to come. Worst case you throw a new or good used door on it.
I know right? I've seen tons of vehicles with rotted door bottoms but never on the side like this.

Thats honestly my next plan if it starts coming back, find a used black door...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
YAh Corey,

Good plan man. If this idea dosnt work get a new door, take the inner panel off and check that seam.

Then WW or FF the **** out of it!!!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in CT and the state uses some liquid mixture they spray on the highways to combat icy roads because they say its "better for the environment" yet it literally eats cars.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When they are building the Rams
All the sheet metal is completely submerged in a anti corrosion bath
That happens before it enters the paint area
The sheet metal is not mounted onto the frame until a few hours later

SHAP Paint area

Watch this video about 2 minutes in

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, road salt is just spectacular:laughing1:

Which drivers wheel well, front or back?
LOL
Yeah,....spectacular!! lol

The rust in on the driver's side rear wheel well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm in CT and the state uses some liquid mixture they spray on the highways to combat icy roads because they say its "better for the environment" yet it literally eats cars.
Its a mixture of road salt, sodium chloride and magnesium chloride.

All 3 are super oxidizers.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I still wonder how I would do if I opened a Fluid Film application business or Wool Wax or something.

I think most people dont care about their cars after 4-5 years now anyway.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still wonder how I would do if I opened a Fluid Film application business or Wool Wax or something.

I was thinking the same thing. However small businesses would do almost anything to get a few more years out of their equipment like their plow trucks.

Around here the big industy is marine and fishing so I could see there being a need for corrosion protection for things like boat trailers...

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That brine is the worst thing they ever decided to put on the roads. Not only is it more corrosive than salt, it's also extremely sticky so it sticks to the roads. Unfortunately it also sticks to vehicles...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Hard to say. If you've got a shop and can get the vehicle off the ground, you might be able to make some money.

I know they opened a few Krown places in the Buffalo area some years back and they are always reasonably busy. Most are part of other businesses though, like car repair or dealers. I tried them when I owed my 2017 Ram and didn't care for the application.

Then I started buying FF or WW by the gallon cans, bought the spray gun kit from kellsportproducts and started doing my vehicles myself.

After the initial application, re-do's go pretty quick and don't require much product. The only issue I've noticed with my 2019 Ram 1500 is the fluid film that oozed out of my door drains have softened the door seals in those areas. It does seem to effect soft foam rubber.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to say. If you've got a shop and can get the vehicle off the ground, you might be able to make some money.

I know they opened a few Krown places in the Buffalo area some years back and they are always reasonably busy. Most are part of other businesses though, like car repair or dealers. I tried them when I owed my 2017 Ram and didn't care for the application.

Then I started buying FF or WW by the gallon cans, bought the spray gun kit from kellsportproducts and started doing my vehicles myself.

After the initial application, re-do's go pretty quick and don't require much product. The only issue I've noticed with my 2019 Ram 1500 is the fluid film that oozed out of my door drains have softened the door seals in those areas. It does seem to effect soft foam rubber.
Are you talking about the seals on the bottom of the doors? Mine got so swelled that I had to pull them off

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I put painters tape on the back side of that bottom door seal.Seems to work.ff/ww does not like that rubber.I sprayed a pc. of the tape first and let it sit for a couple of weeks to test.Held up fine.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Yes it dose swell certain rubber/foam. My door seals did it too.

Im switching to WW after this winter. Using up the last of my 5 gallon bucket of FF hear soon.

Krown is definitely not a long lasting application. More of an oil.

Hevel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
The salt on the road is just horrible. Had to replace the rocker panels on my dads 2010 3500 last year. We don't even live up north, just visit family there once a year for Christmas.