Anyone find a way to disable the auto parking break when driving with the door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
I have owned various trucks since my first one in the late 1970s, and I always found a need once in a while to drive with the door open. Maybe when backing up to a trailer, or whatever. This is the first truck I've ever owned that some ******* safety engineer thought it smart to disable that capability by automatically engaging the parking brake if you do it.

Has anyone found a way to disable that?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the first truck I've ever owned that some ******* safety engineer thought it smart to disable that capability by automatically engaging the parking brake if you do it.

If you want to thank the correct person for that you can thank that actor nobody knew for running himself over with his grand cherokee. I'm all for bashing useless engineering but this was more of a have to change it due to getting sued for it rather than someones brilliant idea.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just plug my seat belt in behind me when doing trailer hook-up.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yes, the disconnect for the system is in the passenger seat. I look over at my wife or son, explain I need to back up, and they exit the vehicle to give proper guidance - all the while my truck door never opens :) Gas, grass or assistance backing up - nobody rides for free!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned various trucks since my first one in the late 1970s, and I always found a need once in a while to drive with the door open. Maybe when backing up to a trailer, or whatever. This is the first truck I've ever owned that some ******* safety engineer thought it smart to disable that capability by automatically engaging the parking brake if you do it.

Has anyone found a way to disable that?

WHAT I use when loading hay, etc...

Here U go: Buy one of these and put into seatbelt: DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens with misuse. Buy/use at yer own risk.

• 51PbuLMIuAL._SX679_.jpg

Bottle Openers, 2 Pcs Metal Buckle Clip Multipurpose Fit on your Keychain
by HOLOKO
140 customer reviews

Price: $7.99 & FREE Shipping. & Get $100 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon.com Store Card.

• Material: 100% zinc alloy makes it solid and last a lifetime. 2 Pack in 1.
  • Bottle Opener: Compact and convenient design makes it fit any keychain and wallet.
  • Ideal for taken as gifts for hunters, farmers, police officers, dog owners, mail couriers, and more.
  • 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: ICare-US offers complete customer satisfaction. If for any reason you are not absolutely satisfied with your product, we will replace or refund your order, no questions asked. CONTACT US directly and we will take care of you.

New (1) from $7.99 & FREE shipping.
Report incorrect product information.

Price: $7.99 & FREE Shipping. & Get $100 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon.com Store Card.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my truck, the brake control can be accessed on the radio panel, I have it "checked" to auto engage pretty sure if I "uncheck" it, I can engage/disengage the park brake as normal.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
BEWARE! the HOLOKO bottle opener if removed to open a cold one while backing up with the door open, the chiming could cause you to have an accident even spill your beer.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lightly touch the brake and backup with door open and no seat belt
Then it knows that someone is in control

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Either wear your seatbelt while backing up or buckle it behind you or use a seatbelt extender. If the seatbelt is buckled it will not auto park.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I opened the door while coming to a stop in my driveway and it stopped the truck and placed in park. Scared the heck out of me as it wasn't a smooth process. I don't think my parking pawl in the transmission appreciated it either.

Good to know about the seat belt lock-out for this needless big-government big-brother imposed software feature. LOL.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lightly touch the brake and backup with door open and no seat belt
Then it knows that someone is in control

This.....[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115][emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]

It’s to the point now to where you don’t even need a seatbelt extender, metal bottle opener doohickey or even the need to put your seatbelt on either over you or behind you, just keep your foot on the brake pedal is all you need to keep the auto-park from engaging. It’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What am I missing here... My dad and grand-dad taught me how to back a trailer with the doors closed using the side mirrors to judge distance. I was also taught how to line it up and use a spotter to bring it in the last foot or two if needed.

The backup camera is nice don't get me wrong, but it's just a tool. The same goes for trailer back assist - develop technology to address a gap in driver capability. If you need these nannies to help you "back it in" you IMO have no business "backing it in" anywhere...

Anyway... just my $.02....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What am I missing here... My dad and grand-dad taught me how to back a trailer with the doors closed using the side mirrors to judge distance. I was also taught how to line it up and use a spotter to bring it in the last foot or two if needed.

The backup camera is nice don't get me wrong, but it's just a tool. The same goes for trailer back assist - develop technology to address a gap in driver capability. If you need these nannies to help you "back it in" you IMO have no business "backing it in" anywhere...

Anyway... just my $.02....

Couldn’t agree with you more.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I am going to be a jerk with this one as well. If you cannot back it up/in with your mirrors (not to mention the camera), your mirrors are not set correctly and/or you need more practice. I am sure there are a few, rare exceptions to this rule that I have not ran into yet, but 99.9% of the time, no one should need to do it with the door open.

If an amateur semi truck driver can back up his trailer with just mirrors, we should be able to backup a pickup with them.

That being said, as others stated, this was not introduced by an engineer for no reason. And unfortunately, it wasn't just a really good actor perishing that caused this... many other people simply don't want to have to double check their gear indicator to make sure they are in Park. They're way too busy for a quick glance at their dash. :banghead:

Different shifter designs (especially on the 2014-2015 Grand Cherokees) also caused people to make silly mistakes; they just assumed they were in Park, rather than checking their indicator(s), and then wanted to sue FCA rather than take responsibility for their mistakes.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be a jerk with this one as well. If you cannot back it up/in with your mirrors (not to mention the camera), your mirrors are not set correctly and/or you need more practice. I am sure there are a few, rare exceptions to this rule that I have not ran into yet, but 99.9% of the time, no one should need to do it with the door open.

If an amateur semi truck driver can back up his trailer with just mirrors, we should be able to backup a pickup with them.

That being said, as others stated, this was not introduced by an engineer for no reason. And unfortunately, it wasn't just a really good actor perishing that caused this... many other people simply don't want to have to double check their gear indicator to make sure they are in Park. They're way too busy for a quick glance at their dash. :banghead:

Different shifter designs (especially on the 2014-2015 Grand Cherokees) also caused people to make silly mistakes; they just assumed they were in Park, rather than checking their indicator(s), and then wanted to sue FCA rather than take responsibility for their mistakes.

Well said. Although I will say, semi truck mirrors are far superior to pickup truck mirrors but still, having to open door to back up shouldn’t be a constant necessity.

But yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that last part. Even though there’s people who act like they’d be uninterested in suing but wait till something did happen. It’s pretty easy to say one thing and then have a change of opinion if low and behold something were to happen and since it’s so easy to sue people these days, people win cases like this all the time. Just ask McDonald’s and Tony Stuart.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For those of you who are assuming that the only reason someone would open their door while the truck is moving is for backing up to a trailer, you obviously haven't driven off road much. I used to regularly open my door to clear a rock or a log, or whatever obstacle I wanted to avoid. That's the reason I bought a seat belt extender when I had my 2017 Rebel, and kept it for use in my current truck. I don't really go off road anymore, but I like knowing that I can if I want to. And not have to worry about the nanny auto-park "feature".