Anyone Install Body Lift on Factory Air Ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I have a 2014 Laramie Limited with factory Air Ride that I would like to lift 2-3".

The BDS option is more than I want to spend, so I'm looking for other options. The DIY section (all 27 pages) hints at this topic, but it isn't fully addressed.

Has anyone on this forum install a spacer type lift on all 4 corners of a factory air ride?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have a 2014 Laramie Limited with factory Air Ride that I would like to lift 2-3".

The BDS option is more than I want to spend, so I'm looking for other options. The DIY section (all 27 pages) hints at this topic, but it isn't fully addressed.

Has anyone on this forum install a spacer type lift on all 4 corners of a factory air ride?

Save up for the BDS Kit or leave it stock. There is a reason very few companies address the air ride trucks.
Im not trying to rain on your parade but you would be opening a can of worms trying to cut corners to get height. It would be more beneficial to trade your truck in for a non air ride model. Remember everything costs more the 2nd time you have to do it

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I’ve looked/researched and considered air ride lift options for about a while now (I got a 2016 Ram Rebel).
Options include:
1. BDS or AEV lift kits: great reviews of both. Would likely require new rims to be factored in. Install quotes I’ve got have almost been as much as the lift itself.
2. Level links. There are companies (CFT performance, Revel) or DIY make your own (various threads on this and cost about $30). Reviews seem mixed. Some people say no change in ride quality. Others say ride was horrible. I’ve never fully figured out if tire combos or what play a role. But it makes sense that if you fill the air at with more air it will hard stiffer/more harsh. Also you can ply with rear height but too much can cause error/payload messages. Some people fit 35s with these links.
3. Level lifts with daystar level puck. So while this is not advertised to work on company sites, there are many people here and YouTube videos of people doing this. The spacer puck needs to be open in center to allow air line hook ups. By combining spacer with links you actually lower the truck with the links (less air) to maintain softer ride but still level/mild lift because of the spacer puck.
4. Use program like AlphaOBD to change settings of air ride height in computer. Requires obd2 plug and AlphaOBD app. There’s a good thread on here about this and home to measure and the settings people have used.
5. Body lift. PA accessories is a great body lift company with a great reputation. They make a great kit that you can also purchase gap guards for to hide fact it’s a body lift. If you have tow hooks you will not be able to reuse them. People say this allows them to clear 35s. Does not give you more suspension travel or ground clearance as suspension is the same.

Personally after getting such expensive quotes for BDS and not being able to reuse my Rebel 17” rims ( I like the factory rims so having to spend another 1000-1200 on rims is harder to swallow; yes I know I could sell rims to offset cost slightly).

I’ve considered doing the level links to level truck (prob about 1-1.25” height increase) stacked with 3” body lift and then 35s. This would give me about 5” increase in height. While my suspension travel and ground clearance wouldn’t change much I don’t necessarily do a lot of off roading to where that would be worried. I drive in fields for deer and pheasant hunting and an occasional camping trial (all of which stock height is sufficient for so new height should be fine as well).

Hope this helps give you options. Really comes to do your intended use (off roading/overland rig vs just height for appearance/larger tire clearance).

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Bfill Rebel, if you find a body lift kit that fits a factory air ride suspension, please let me know.

I've yet to find such an option.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey man do what i did saves you alot of headache been nearly two years with zero problems... get the cft front links easy 5 minute install.. hit the offroad 2 button then pull fuse ur done free 3 inch lift..

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
"Bfill", thank you. I like that kit.

"Gone" - "2 years and zero problems" sounds nice. Did the ride get any stiffer on pavement?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Bfill Rebel, if you find a body lift kit that fits a factory air ride suspension, please let me know.

I've yet to find such an option.

i highly suggest doing a lot of reading before going that route. Gaps, exhaust is now 3” below bumper, relocating wiring harnesses etc. look at the big picture the price difference is minimal in the grand scheme extra $1500 for the BDS kit may save you $5000 later in electrical issues.
there are a lot of guys running body lifts with zero issues but at my suspension shop that I own we won’t touch them for a reason.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a lil stiffer i like it like that not to high not to low ..heres a quick pic with cft front links

1CC60EC7-D2A5-4F16-94FA-1FD6F7A694D2.jpeg

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I really like the idea of running a fuse line into the cab and turning the system on/off as needed. may give it a shot!!!!

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I currently leveled out my 16 with CFT leveling links and running 35s on my stock sport wheels with 2in spacers.

Kingzilla - for my clarification, are you saying you have a) factory air suspension and b) 2" spacers on all 4 corners? If so, how does it ride?

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kingzilla - for my clarification, are you saying you have a) factory air suspension and b) 2" spacers on all 4 corners? If so, how does it ride?

Yes running factory ride with the CFT links with 2in spacers on all corners so I can run the 35 tires. Honestly at regular height or offroad1, I dont feel much of a difference in the ride. Even at offroad2 its not bad but you do notice a big jump in stiff ride going over speedbumps.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Kingzilla - I've been looking for someone who had your setup and could respond with a "real life evaluation". Thank you very much.

Where did you get the 2" spacers?

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kingzilla - I've been looking for someone who had your setup and could respond with a "real life evaluation". Thank you very much.

Where did you get the 2" spacers?

The spacers are from Rough Country that I purchased from a local member (link below). I can try and reply with any needed info, just let me know. I will say that the overall ride quality has not been affected after the install and all the different ride levels including Aero work perfectly fine. Once you hit Offroad 2 you do notice the stiffer ride quality, but nothing that makes it undriveable. I personally do get slight rubbing on full turn that can be resolved by bending/molding the inner fender lining with a little heat applied.

Also you have to calibrate your speedometer using AlfaOBD after the large tire install, after the 35s my truck is currently off by 3 mph. I do plan on molding the fender lining and calibrating the speedometer as soon as I get a free weekend and the temps are cooler.

spacers: https://www.roughcountry.com/wheel-...am-1500-2wd-738411&sid=EmpXQwocI7#box-fitment

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Kingzilla - my apologies, I misunderstood. I was looking for someone who has factory air ride and body lift spacers on all 4 corners not wheel spacers. My bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye