Anyone installed a Vararam on their 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If so, how do you like it? How is the fit and finish? Thanks

R

Rogues Gambit

Haven't heard good things about it, just forgot which thread someone posted a video about it was

I say get a AFE Magnum instead

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
I posted a video on my intro thread and from the video there are areas that don’t seal properly and debris can get in the motor. The owner in the video was very disappointed for good reason. I just ordered the afe momentum intake from Nick yesterday, in my opinion it looks better and it’s incased so you don’t have to worry about the filter getting dirty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen videos of guys getting a lot of dust and debris past the filter into the main area going into the throat of the TB. What they don't show you is how poorly they put the thing together and didn't get the seal lined up before tightening the top down, simply bad instructions and done incorrectly will net you negative results every time.
You have to be "methodic" about the getting the seal lined up when bolting the top down, at least I did and I get ZERO dust past the filter.
There are a lot of morons out there giving horrible advise.

R

Rogues Gambit

I've seen videos of guys getting a lot of dust and debris past the filter into the main area going into the throat of the TB. What they don't show you is how poorly they put the thing together and didn't get the seal lined up before tightening the top down, simply bad instructions and done incorrectly will net you negative results every time.
You have to be "methodic" about the getting the seal lined up when bolting the top down, at least I did and I get ZERO dust past the filter.
There are a lot of morons out there giving horrible advise.

Problem is, not everyone is methodic or meticulous

Plus some people rather have it easy

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those "naysayers" that still don't think the Vararam seal is tight enough based on posted videos from guys with tons of dust build-up.
I've been remised on my regularly scheduled cleaning and re-oiling of my filter so I did it this past weekend and took some shots of the intake base when I took it apart.
Shamefully, it's been over a year since my last cleaning and I attribute the "miniscule" amount of dust to my mechanic not perfectly lining up my filter, top and base correctly the last time I had it in the shop and I didn't discovered it until weeks or even maybe months later.
As you can see by my finger swipe it barely had any dust build-up compared to the outside where you see a lot of dust, and I also included a picture of my filter pre-cleaning to show how dirty it was.
She's all ****-n-span now and if you take your time installing all the components back together, you will not get any dust past the filter.
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those "naysayers" that still don't think the Vararam seal is tight enough based on posted videos from guys with tons of dust build-up.
I've been remised on my regularly scheduled cleaning and re-oiling of my filter so I did it this past weekend and took some shots of the intake base when I took it apart.
Shamefully, it's been over a year since my last cleaning and I attribute the "miniscule" amount of dust to my mechanic not perfectly lining up my filter, top and base correctly the last time I had it in the shop and I didn't discovered it until weeks or even maybe months later.
As you can see by my finger swipe it barely had any dust build-up compared to the outside where you see a lot of dust, and I also included a picture of my filter pre-cleaning to show how dirty it was.
She's all ****-n-span now and if you take your time installing all the components back together, you will not get any dust past the filter.
View attachment 171683
View attachment 171684
That looks good for going that long. I know you said a year but how many miles was that? And the filter definitely wasn't seated right?

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks good for going that long. I know you said a year but how many miles was that? And the filter definitely wasn't seated right?
Exactly, times before when I broke it down to clean there hasn't been any dust at all.
As far as miles, it hard to say since I don't use it as a daily driver, normally. 5k maybe?

"Do you really need this and the hazel of cleaning the filter"
Absolutely, no hassle to clean either. Besides, the Vararam's are so damn cool and functional to boot.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a Vararam on all three of my 4th Gen trucks and have NEVER had any problems with dust or dirt getting passed the filter. If you install it correctly and clean it when your suppose to you won't have any problem. If you do it half assed, you'll get half assed results. There is now a pre filter available if you have any concerns.
Jay

HockeyPops

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All have given good advice, if you like the vararam then get it and do it right.

I didn’t trust my abilities to install so I went with a MOPAR CAI.

But I think the vararam looks great and I’d read good things about it.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All have given good advice, if you like the vararam then get it and do it right.

I think the MOPAR CAI will work just as good and looks pretty cool too, everybody's taste runs different, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream right?

Denis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I think the main question is CAI quality for 2019. Is it different from the previous model?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the main question is CAI quality for 2019. Is it different from the previous model?

I don't really think so.. I think that they all probably work about the same. Just a matter of personal preference lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RamExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had one on my 2014 Ram and absolutely loved it. I didn't want to put something that aggressive on my new 2019, so I ordered an S&B CAI and will be installing it tomorrow.

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That’s sounds like me. I surely don’t trust my ability to install, ensure it’s seated right, oiling cleaning etc, that’s why I also went with the Mopar CAI.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Matt from Moe's Performance made a U tube on proper installation of the Vararam. It goes into great detail and should be helpful for anyone having doubts about installing one.
Jay

Last edited:

TheKenster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s sounds like me. I surely don’t trust my ability to install, ensure it’s seated right, oiling cleaning etc, that’s why I also went with the Mopar CAI.
Do you have a link for the Mopar kit?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk