Anyone know Carli Fox and King shock lengths?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Hey gang. I have the Carli multi rate rear coils on my truck now as well as their pan hard drop bracket. I am also about to have the Carli sway bar links installed along with my new Hellwig sway bar.

I was originally planning on buying either the Carli Fox 2.0 Commuter 2” lift levelling shocks or the more expensive Carli tuned 2.5” King Performance kit shocks. I’m sure that either one would be an amazing step up from my current Bilstein 5100’s.

However, I’m also considering Accutuned Fox 2.5 with DSC adjusters as I like having the ability to run the shocks softer or firmer depending on how and where I’m driving. Unfortunately, Carli doesn’t publish the lengths of their shocks which aren’t OEM specs. Does anybody happen to know the extended and compressed lengths for the Ram 1500 Carli spec shocks? I know for sure that the rear shocks are much longer than stock as it is mentioned in Carli’s ad. Their multi rate coils are longer than stock and give about ¾” lift depending on the weight in the bed. Thanks in advance for any information. :)

Last edited:

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I had tried to get that info awhile ago as well. Carli's response was "Our compressed and extended shock lengths are proprietary to the company, but I can tell you that the Commuter System pulls 10" of wheel travel in the front, and 13" of wheel travel in the rear."

Seems like the only chance to get those specs is from someone who's purchased and measured them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the Carli springs already installed? If not, can you measure their free length? If your budget allows you get 2.5 race shocks front and rear you will never regret it. Day and night difference compared to anything in 2.0 body shocks tuned or not.

I dont know what Carli has for shock length but I don't think they're giving you longer than King OE length which are already longer than RAM 1500 OEM stock front and rear despite what they claim in their website with the 10" -13" numbers. I think for the front they're using our 1.6 control arm motion ratio to say the front cycles 10". Have no idea what they're doing for the rear calculation

Your stock rear shocks are 25.5" where as King are 27" and you're not getting extended brake lines or brackets with their kit thats how I think you're not getting longer than King OE rear shocks.

I'm running Custom Accutune King 2.5 made by King with the same length specs as the Dirt King long travel bypasses and they're 28.5" long, your factory brake lines will go to 28.75" before you need extended lines but you'll have to modify your brake line brackets and extend those down to run that length. Dirt King gives you brake line brackets with their kit and also shock straps.

I'm running Clayton 2.5" lift springs with my Kings and they have 21.5" free length. Why is that important? As a ballpark free length + 8" gives you a theoretical estimate of how long your shocks can be before they can unseat your coils. using the Clayton example 21.5+8=29.5"

I did my own verification and the Claytons will remain seated up to 29.75" no problems. you could probably push 30" but you'll want spring retainers to have an extra piece of mind.

@Adamcr68 runs the Carli Kings. Adam did you measure your rear shocks? If not and if you can, can you measure the shocks with a rear tire up in the air just a little and measure from the center of the upper shock bolt to the center of the lower shock bolt?.
If that is not possible them measure the same but with the truck at ride heigth, then measure how much of your shaft is showing. With those 2 values we can get max compressed length. Compressed length +9-9.5" in case of King will give us extended length.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Unfortunately the coils are already on my truck. Actually, the shop had to use the 1" coil spacers I had on the stock coils because I didn't get the spring insulators given back to me by the other shop that installed my Bilstein levelling kit, so I'm maxing out my rear shocks right now. Carli does state that the front shocks are OEM Kings which are longer than stock but they don't give the actual specs. As for the rear shocks they just say that stock length coils can't be used with the Carli spec rear shocks because they are far too long and the coils could fall out. Why they are hesitant to give us the actual specs is beyond me!

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I checked the Carli website again just now and the Commuter kit gives 8" of front travel and the King Performance kit gives 9". Both kits give 13" of rear travel.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Do you have the Carli springs already installed? If not, can you measure their free length? If your budget allows you get 2.5 race shocks front and rear you will never regret it. Day and night difference compared to anything in 2.0 body shocks tuned or not.

I dont know what Carli has for shock length but I don't think they're giving you longer than King OE length which are already longer than RAM 1500 OEM stock front and rear despite what they claim in their website with the 10" -13" numbers. I think for the front they're using our 1.6 control arm motion ratio to say the front cycles 10". Have no idea what they're doing for the rear calculation

Your stock rear shocks are 25.5" where as King are 27" and you're not getting extended brake lines or brackets with their kit thats how I think you're not getting longer than King OE rear shocks.

I'm running Custom Accutune King 2.5 made by King with the same length specs as the Dirt King long travel bypasses and they're 28.5" long, your factory brake lines will go to 28.75" before you need extended lines but you'll have to modify your brake line brackets and extend those down to run that length. Dirt King gives you brake line brackets with their kit and also shock straps.

I'm running Clayton 2.5" lift springs with my Kings and they have 21.5" free length. Why is that important? As a ballpark free length + 8" gives you a theoretical estimate of how long your shocks can be before they can unseat your coils. using the Clayton example 21.5+8=29.5"

I did my own verification and the Claytons will remain seated up to 29.75" no problems. you could probably push 30" but you'll want spring retainers to have an extra piece of mind.

@Adamcr68 runs the Carli Kings. Adam did you measure your rear shocks? If not and if you can, can you measure the shocks with a rear tire up in the air just a little and measure from the center of the upper shock bolt to the center of the lower shock bolt?.
If that is not possible them measure the same but with the truck at ride heigth, then measure how much of your shaft is showing. With those 2 values we can get max compressed length. Compressed length +9-9.5" in case of King will give us extended length.
I don’t have a jack, from top bolt center to bottom center is 23” with 5.25” of shaft showing, I did order from Thuren not sure if they are different from Carli’s

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I don’t have a jack, from top bolt center to bottom center is 23” with 5.25” of shaft showing, I did order from Thuren not sure if they are different from Carli’s

I appreciate your help. I want to be certain that if I DO go with Accutune, I have the correct length shocks especially in the rear as I have the longer Carli multi rate rear coils.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I appreciate your help. I want to be certain that if I DO go with Accutune, I have the correct length shocks especially in the rear as I have the longer Carli multi rate rear coils.
No problem! I do have stock coils in rear, might get the ones that handle weight better & give 1” lift if they will work with my shocks.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
No problem! I do have stock coils in rear, might get the ones that handle weight better & give 1” lift if they will work with my shocks.
I think my coils probably wouldn't be what you are looking for if you're wanting to handle more weight. They are softer than stock from what I can tell.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome so you got Thuren instead of Carli. the shocks and CO's should be the same length. Main diffreneces will be how both companies valve their application.
You rear shocks are basically the same as King OE, about 17.75 compressed 27" extended.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm 99% sure all the RAM 1500 options you get from Carli or Thuren will be the same length as the King OE shocks as they're King options based on the 2.5" front and 1" rear that King makes.

You can talk to Accutune and choose from the King or Fox options you see from Accutune for your year model and talk about what valving you want to run on them. King or Fox will make them and ship to Accutune,then Accutune will prep them for you. In either case your Carli coils will work as they should be longer than stock. Carli said they're softer than stock or have stockish rates so they are longer for sure.
Make sure to mention that to Accutune so they can transfer that into the valving. Say 3/4 longer same stock spring rates.

If you buy from Carli they have a valving ready for your truck with their springs.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately the coils are already on my truck. Actually, the shop had to use the 1" coil spacers I had on the stock coils because I didn't get the spring insulators given back to me by the other shop that installed my Bilstein levelling kit, so I'm maxing out my rear shocks right now. Carli does state that the front shocks are OEM Kings which are longer than stock but they don't give the actual specs. As for the rear shocks they just say that stock length coils can't be used with the Carli spec rear shocks because they are far too long and the coils could fall out. Why they are hesitant to give us the actual specs is beyond me!

King OE specs are all longer than stock
Front CO's will be 22.5 extended, 16.8" compressed. they're extended lenght
Rear shocks will be 27" extended, 17.75 compressed.

Carli uses the existing King OE kit just like Thuren and makes valving changes, more likely they also change the rear pistons. Everybody else using the same kit will do the same. Same with kits based on the Fox CO's and shocks. All the pretty muc the same as they have to deal with same 2.5" front 1" lift.
The stock coils will probably be unseated with those King or Fox in the back at max droop.You'll be fine with the Carli coils, but if you want to handle weight you'll want Icon 1.5" coils. You can also get Eibach 1" they'll also handle the Kings lenght in the back but only 10% stiffer than stock. Bilstein 1" will also handle the Kings but will be the ones handling the least weight. If you want to put for example a 400lbs motorcycle in your bed and up, get the Icons and don't look back.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I definitely don't want a stiffer rear suspension and I'm willing to lose payload and towing capacity for better comfort and off-road performance. The ONLY reason for being on the fence with the Carli tuned shocks is the lack of the DSC adjusters. I'd really like to have the ability to dial in the suspension according to the situation.