Anyone know what this vehicle is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hay Mike yes 216 cid for the Chevy but later like in 1950's they came with a powerglide they upped the cid to 225.
The Buick's went to a 225 6cyl? I know the Chevy's offered a 216 as the standard engine in the early 50's cars and trucks, the optional engine was the 235 Blue Flame Special. The 235 came standard in the '53 & '54 BelAir. I had a '54 BelAir with the 235 and a 2spd Powerglide

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Buick's went to a 225 6cyl? I know the Chevy's offered a 216 as the standard engine in the early 50's cars and trucks, the optional engine was the 235 Blue Flame Special. The 235 came standard in the '53 & '54 BelAir. I had a '54 BelAir with the 235 and a 2spd Powerglide
Yae the 235 cid was for the Chevy, I owned a 51 Styline Deluxe with a 235 powerglide,50 was the first year for the powerglide then 51 for the 2spd, the larger 235 cid was for the hydraulic lifters, they had solids before that.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
well, my original post certainly raised people’s interest! Love it! It may well be this vehicle gets a second chance at life……..
The stories I am being told about it, it has been there for about 75 years!
When it was deliberately parked in what was then a clearing, it ran, perfectly. Over the years it has lost bits and bobs, unfortunately a lot. I have been told by someone who knew the deceased owner, when he was very young, that it is definitely a 39 Buick Special, as you all thought. I have even spoken to him…..( not the dead guy clearly! He only passed last year at 91)
It is amazing to me that this car was parked and left to rot before I was even born in 1958!
I wish I could find out why it was left like that…….

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Bowtie 235 was initially developed as a truck engine; the cars retained the stovebolt 216 into the 1950's, with the 235 being required for the optional, but increasingly popular, Powerglide automatic transmissions.

Buicks had straight 8 engines from 1931 to 1952; their 1953 models were the first with a V8 engine.

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
British Leyland was a bad time for the British motor industry! All those old firms put under one corporate umbrella, Morris, Mini, Jaguar,MG of course, Austin, the list goes on. All defunct now.
i owned Mg, Austin 1300 Jaguar XJ6 series 1.
True, but I have great memories trundling around Oxen in Gramps Morris Oxford ! :gr_grin:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've never seen a straight 8 engine in person, though I'd sure love to. Even more to actually drive one!

Very neat find. A little north of where I live, there's the literal remnants of what must be a Ford Fairlane in the woods. The only reason I say it's a Fairlane is because when dad first discovered it, he found a "Fairlane" emblem sitting near it. All that's left of that car is the rotted remains of the pillars and roof sticking out of the ground.

Near that same spot are a few, ancient 20" truck rims with long-rotted Uniroyal tires still mounted. I actually rolled/drug one all the way home back when I was younger, stupider, and somehow figuring I could somehow make some nice money for it, LOL. I swear, that ********* thing must weigh a couple hundred pounds.

Oh, and years after that, I actually let the air out of it for lord knows what reason. Yes, that tire, old and rotted as it was, was still holding air. The air smelled, for lack of a better word, "stale."

If I remember it right, there are a few, regular truck rims down there too. Gotta wonder if that spot wasn't a scrapyard or something a long time ago.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Ahh….but that was PRE British Leyland! It was a real Morris
Hey BB. , Well does not look like the Buick will come together but I would still be interested if something ever came of it. I now have enough parts to completely rebuild it. I am sure it will need a new chassis which I now have. I bought this car recently and with the extra parts I had combined with what I now have acquired the Buick can be saved.

Attachments

• Resized_20230927_214015.jpeg
    Resized_20230927_214015.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 9