Anyone notice fuel milage changes recently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My wife said she had heard about gas not going as far and has noticed that she is not getting as good milage as she was a couple months ago.

I filled my truck up with diesel in November of 2020 and just finally ran it down to 1/4 tank and refilled it last week. I rarely drove it and figured I better run out that old fuel and fill it up with fresh. I didn't drive it much, but I did drive it, and it seemed to take forever to come off full. Trip computer says I was getting 20 MPG.

I have not rechecked the trip computer, but I put 40 miles on it and I'm down to 3/4 of a tank according to the gauge. Gauge would still be showing full if this was the 2020 Diesel. I put at least 100 miles on that first tank before the gauge came off full.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed anything different? It was winter when I drove it ay distance. Don't know if they make winter blend diesel.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Nope, I am actually getting up in the 14s around town lol .... I am usually in the high 12s mid 13s ...but I do have a 1500 5.7 so maybe that is the difference ?

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Mine has actually gone way up the last 4 tanks. She has a lifetime avg in the high 15's low 16's and the last 4 tanks have been 17.8, 18.7, 18.75, and this last one was 19mpg!!! Same person driving, same commute, etc.

The only thing I changed was the fluid in both differentials and the T-case.. not saying that is what is causing it, just the only thing that has changed.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You haven't burned a full tank in over a year and a half?? That's a lot of sitting around and opportunity for things to start clogging up, no wonder your mileage is down. I'd change all your fuel filters, run some diesel cleaner through it and go run the heck out of it.

My mpg is the same as it has always been or better so it's not a current fuel grade issue.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Truck runs fine and ran fine. I use diesel kleen and had no issues with fuel. Just seems like I'm using more of it. Too soon to tell I guess. I'm just going by wat the gauge is showing me.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My self never did see any improvement when using diesel Kleene, had better results from Lucas diesel fuel additive in old 06, in my new truck I use Opti lube...

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has stayed around 15-15.5, but I do tend to draft off of 18 wheelers a bit more when I get the chance since gas has gotten ridiculous.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Don't know if they make winter blend diesel.
A good portion of the country will have both a winter and summer blend diesel, the fuel economy with my EcoDiesel will usually drop maybe 1-2 mpg when on winter blend and it's cold. Some of that could be the engine is not fully warmed up.
You can usually ask the station where you fill up if they have have switched between the two blends. I think the typical change over months is April and September

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Winter blend sucks! I really notice the difference when towing. A lot less power out of that diesel with winter blend and it doesn't get cold enough here on the upper west coast to justify it. I do bleed off the fuel filter every fill and change the fuel filter with every oil change. My computer says I'm getting 23.5 MPG but in reality it's actually closer to 19 and change.
As far as diesel getting stale, it is much more stable than today's gasoline. I've run diesel in my MH (892 Detroit) that was more than 5 years old in the tank with zero effect on performance. Just keep those filters clean is the key.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'll be due for my second oil change and fuel filter change August first. I got the PO's schedule and am following it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Gasoline usually has winter & summer blend gas
around May 1 to around October 1 we use Summer gas

( i don't know what they do with Ethanol )
i only know that Ethanol begins to turn bad after 3 months
I know that it eats Metal, that is why the fuel system is all plastic now.