Anyone replace Oil Filter housing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Reading that the plastic housing can crack over time I am thinking ahead to get this done !

I am thinking of doing this maybe this year, I have about 84k on the clock of my 2015!

Anyone do this ?
Is it a pain ? About how long did it take yo or your mechanic to get it done ?

I will probably have my mechanic do it ! At 69 y/o I do not want to hang in the engine compartment several hours lol

If had it done any difference in oil temps ?
Just curous

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I haven't but plan on it. I was about to buy it and realized I still have 2 years on my extended warranty

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am planning on it Maybe next year or sooner depending on install cost, 150$ or so for the part ans my guess is 4 hrs labor !
So I am guessing around 600$ installed
And everyone's opinion is great !
But hopefully someone chimes in who had it done !
For first hand input

Thanks , I will Update when I get it done !

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just had mine done at the shop

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thank you for your link ! Man the mechanics labor is high in your area :O and the mark up is :O

bisonfan

Reaction score
I replaced the oil filter housing in my 2012 grand caravan last Thursday. I was quoted 3.5 hours and $1100 at a local shop. I have $150 in the housing and it took me 1.5 hours. I will be doing it on my 2015 T&C in the next year or so. I did not drain my coolant and wished I would have but the local shop wouldn't have either. I just dumped the oil after it. Expect some smoke upon startup no matter how clean you are.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I replaced the oil filter housing in my 2012 grand caravan last Thursday. I was quoted 3.5 hours and $1100 at a local shop. I have $150 in the housing and it took me 1.5 hours. I will be doing it on my 2015 T&C in the next year or so. I did not drain my coolant and wished I would have but the local shop wouldn't have either. I just dumped the oil after it. Expect some smoke upon startup no matter how clean you are.
Great Info Thanks ! This is a job I will not do myself ! almost 70 y/o so I do not bend so well lol. So my mechanic treats me right. So I wil thin 2 to 4 hours labor ! And I can supply the Dorman adapter for about 150$ + or - .
On the high side I was guessing 1000$ parts and labor but even at 4 hrs I think he is 70$ or 90$ a hr, so less the 300$/400$ labor

Aufenscuht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most shops will not take your supplied parts nowadays because of warranty and verification of failure. One of the most common reasons outside of cheap plastic as to why they fail is the over tightening of the cap, causing the hollow neck to break from the bottom up. The metal upgrade from dorman does not include the sensors residing at the bottom. The cost for this with labor, housing, and intake gaskets is about $1100. Good technicians are difficult to find and when you do find them there will always be a fee for their skill.

-Someone who runs a shop

Spenny01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced mine about a month ago. It wasn't too bad. I built a platform to stand on in front of my truck to ease the back tension. My truck has 150k miles. I also replaced both valve cover gaskets and a few rockers. The biggest headache to me was getting the old oil out of the valley after pulling the oil filter housing. It was about 2 inches deep in places. I used a small hand pump and a bunch of paper towels. The problem with my factory housing was the large O ring was hard as a rock due to age. I didn't disconnect my fuel line from the fuel rail. I simply set it to the side still connected. Once I was ready to pull the housing I had to stand between the radiator and front of the engine. I didn't drain my radiator either. In the event I would need to do this again I ordered a new O ring set for my OEM housing, about $30 bucks. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Reading that the plastic housing can crack over time I am thinking ahead to get this done !

I am thinking of doing this maybe this year, I have about 84k on the clock of my 2015!

Anyone do this ?

I will probably have my mechanic do it ! At 69 y/o I do not want to hang in the engine compartment several hours lol

Just curous

Thanks

My 15 wrangler has the same housing. 120000 miles , no issue so far.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'll put it on mt way later list lol Thanks

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Anyone do this ?
Just curous
Thanks

Just had it replaced on my 2017 Big Horn at 71k miles. My mechanic recommended using an OEM replacement, said in his experience the aluminum aftermarket housings were not so hot. Had the plugs replaced while he had the top opened up. The housing replacement with parts included was around $800 give or take. I also had the plugs changed and got new front brakes. Cha-Ching$$$$.
I'm 64 with 164 year old hands...not a chance I would have been able to do this one. I will change my old oil though, right up until they pry the ratchet from my cold dead hands.;)

lpoworski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I am planning on it Maybe next year or sooner depending on install cost, 150$ or so for the part ans my guess is 4 hrs labor !
So I am guessing around 600$ installed
And everyone's opinion is great !
But hopefully someone chimes in who had it done !
For first hand input

Thanks , I will Update when I get it done !
I changed a 2019 Ram 3.6 oil filter housing to the aluminum one in -35 Manitoba winter with a tarp around the engine bay and a Herman nelson heater. There is tons of room in the engine bay to put your feet in and sit on the ledge comfortably. It took a couple hours for me to do it by the time I cleaned everything up. It was just an educated guess by listening to all the fabulous forums to where the oil leak was and right they were. The plastic oil filter housing was cracked indeed. Its been a few years now with no leaks but yesterday noticed a few drips of oil on his driveway again. Staying positive, Im hoping its just the cap or rubber gasket to the oil filter that is leaking. Have to investigate further. I've ordered an new cap and filter as its time for an oil change again anyhow. Im just saying, I am a 63 year old female nurse mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. If I can do it, so can you. Just your time and parts.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I changed a 2019 Ram 3.6 oil filter housing to the aluminum one in -35 Manitoba winter with a tarp around the engine bay and a Herman nelson heater. There is tons of room in the engine bay to put your feet in and sit on the ledge comfortably. It took a couple hours for me to do it by the time I cleaned everything up. It was just an educated guess by listening to all the fabulous forums to where the oil leak was and right they were. The plastic oil filter housing was cracked indeed. Its been a few years now with no leaks but yesterday noticed a few drips of oil on his driveway again. Staying positive, Im hoping its just the cap or rubber gasket to the oil filter that is leaking. Have to investigate further. I've ordered an new cap and filter as its time for an oil change again anyhow. Im just saying, I am a 63 year old female nurse mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. If I can do it, so can you. Just your time and parts.
I'd be interested to hear what the new leak is caused by when you locate it.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I changed a 2019 Ram 3.6 oil filter housing to the aluminum one in -35 Manitoba winter with a tarp around the engine bay and a Herman nelson heater. There is tons of room in the engine bay to put your feet in and sit on the ledge comfortably. It took a couple hours for me to do it by the time I cleaned everything up. It was just an educated guess by listening to all the fabulous forums to where the oil leak was and right they were. The plastic oil filter housing was cracked indeed. Its been a few years now with no leaks but yesterday noticed a few drips of oil on his driveway again. Staying positive, I'm hoping its just the cap or rubber gasket to the oil filter that is leaking. Have to investigate further. I've ordered an new cap and filter as its time for an oil change again anyhow. Im just saying, I am a 63 year old female nurse mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. If I can do it, so can you. Just your time and parts.
WOW changed it in that weather :O You are one dedicated person ! And THANK YOU for your service as a nurse, My Daughter in law is a nurse and you guys run 100 mph all the time