Anyone run an Optima Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I won an Optima Yellowtop battery sweepstakes and thought I'd get one for my Ram even though it's only a year and a half old.
Unfortunately the website doesn't list one for a 2019 Ram 5.7l but says they probably have one that fits.
Anyone know which one would fit best?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is some other posts floating around about Optima batteries gone downhill since Johnson controls bought them. Lots of people recommend Odyssey, Deka, Northstar and X2 batteries. AGM batteries are definitely worth the extra $$. I'm going to be buy a Odyssey for mine here shortly, it turned over slow after not wanting to remote start.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just replaced an Optima in my dads truck a few days ago. It was from January 2016 and maybe had 20K miles on it. Of course the warranty ran out after 3 years so he had to buy a new one. No more Optima's after that for us.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I only buy AGM anymore, since I got tired of corroded terminals and cleaning acid damage. On the advice of a retired battery engineer from another forum, I buy them based on price. In his opinion all the AGM starting batteries are pretty good and mostly equivalent. At least as long as you’re buying a recognizable brand, not some eBay junk.

His opinion the spiral design has no benefit in most use scenarios.

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
could not find a listing for the RAM 2019 DT on any of these sites? Any one have a specific model/part number? Odyssey, Deka, Northstar and X2 batteries. AGM

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
could not find a listing for the RAM 2019 DT on any of these sites? Any one have a specific model/part number? Odyssey, Deka, Northstar and X2 batteries. AGM
You'll probably have to cross the group size on the battery to the manufacturer part number.
One hint about Odyssey batteries, for the Gen4 Ram w/5.7 it is a 94R-850 battery(BCI# 94R), but it also goes by part# 0755-2020A0K6

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I finally win something and it's crap...
Story of my life.
I know the feeling, seems I usually have the same luck..lol
To answer your original question:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery/h6
It's slightly shorter and by the pictures the positive/negative post should be correct. Double check the post placement, flipping the battery or cables is not really a fun option. An H6 should fit in place of an H7 or H8 but is shorter in length. Battery wise it has enough "juice" to spin over an EcoD so it should be good for your Hemi.
Look at it this way, unless it leaves stranded somewhere practically right out of the box it is a free battery. If you get 3-4 years out of it your really no worse for wear.