Anyone swapped wheel studs on their 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So my 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Tradesman was in the shop for a loud clanking sound and vibration. It started on my drive to work Friday. I jumped out, did a walk around and couldn't see anything wrong. I shook the tires a bit, but everything seemed tight. I thought, "crap, please don't be gears or transmission. let it be somthing simple, like a u-joint."

Dropped it off at discount tire. 10 min later, they said they found the problem, 2 studs on the passenger side broke. One was apparently holding on by a sliver of metal and as soon as they put a wrench on it, it came off. The other stud was half broken off inside the lug nut with about 1/4 that the lugnut could still grab.

Looking up the part #, mopar is wanting a LOT per stud and they are m14x1.5"

So I was talking to my cousin who has the same truck as me, just a 2010 and his truck uses the 9/16-18 wheel studs. Has anyone swapped the metric studs to the 9/16-18 studs? They appear to be the same diameter on the end that presses into the hub. Can anyone confirm this or have tried but it didn't work? Those studs are less than half the price of the OEM mopar ones and possibly stronger from different manufacturers.

Anyone out there able to drop some knowledge on this?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Overall outside thread diameter is a difference of .010" roughly...which is basically nothing. The press end may be the same kind of story, but I caution you - too much of a press fit can cause cracking in your hubs, which is even more dangerous.

If the rest of your studs are good, I would just replace the two broken ones - then you're not trying to find new sets of proper lug nuts, etc. etc. Also, if you are not checking the torque on your lugnuts with a decent torque wrench, you're asking for problems. (Side note - around here, Discount is the LAST place you want to go for anything tire-related. They're cheap for a reason.)

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My bets are on the **** lug nuts that Mopar uses that cross thread just looking at them.

check Rock Auto

Never once had an issue with Discount in the 20+ yrs I’ve used them.

Hal Dudley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I agree I wouldn’t worry about the 14mm vs 9/16th studs. Different thought is someone put lug nut in socket and ran down with the gun cross threading it. When I worked in a tire shop many years ago I saw that a lot. Have seen it two times in last couple years with my own trucks. I politely tell the tire guy hay next time put them on by hand and give them a couple turns. Now that your replacing the stud you cost yourself time and money instead of saving it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My bets are on the **** lug nuts that Mopar uses that cross thread just looking at them.

check Rock Auto

Never once had an issue with Discount in the 20+ yrs I’ve used them.

I'm not saying ALL Discount Tires are bad.

Just every one within a 50+/- radius of where I live. They're just like Autozone - they hire people that can make a sale, not that know anything about vehicles.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Autozones are like that by me as well. I had worked there PT for the 20% discount when I did side work.
Our store was the best in the area, all gear heads, all ASE certified except for a PT high school kid. The young guys moved on, others got their own stores, one of the guys was fired because of tardiness, I quit because I had a FT job and got tired of being threatened to have hours cut because I didn’t push the little packets of grease, “check out challenge” ( which sometimes consisted of wash & wax crap in January & February), or spark plugs with an air filter.

if I go into that store now, most times I’m showing them where things are at, how to do things in the computer, or I just type my own info in & tell them in need a password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio