Anyone towing with there HD yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, bags will certainly help overall, especially with the rear sag and headlights in the air, but they will not realy help all that much with the front end lifting up.

And I agree with mcboom, a longbox would be much better suited for the task I think. Much depending on how large of a unit you will be using.

I'm learning with TCs is that there isnt a lot of gray area. It doesnt take much to throw you into dually territory. I'm trying to stay in the 3.5k wet weight srw short box arena. If I go long box, I will likely end up with a dually since my selection if TCs increases dramatically.

As for the TC causing front end lift, wouldn't that also cause a headlight up issue? I would like to avoid lifting all together due to instability on COG. Chances are, the TCs that are too light are too small as well. I may end up with a dually lol.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm learning with TCs is that there isnt a lot of gray area. It doesnt take much to throw you into dually territory. I'm trying to stay in the 3.5k wet weight srw short box arena. If I go long box, I will likely end up with a dually since my selection if TCs increases dramatically.

As for the TC causing front end lift, wouldn't that also cause a headlight up issue? I would like to avoid lifting all together due to instability on COG. Chances are, the TCs that are too light are too small as well. I may end up with a dually lol.

Well, yes if it lifts the front and sags the rear, you will end up with headlights in the air. Unless you have air bags and jack the rear back up.

However, excuse my ignorance with slide in campers. But the more I think about it, they probably do not lift the front much at all, if at all (considering much of the weight is just behind the cab). You may be fine as far as front end lift goes, but the rear will surely go down lol. Which bags will alleviate.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, yes if it lifts the front and sags the rear, you will end up with headlights in the air. Unless you have air bags and jack the rear back up.

However, excuse my ignorance with slide in campers. But the more I think about it, they probably do not lift the front much at all, if at all (considering much of the weight is just behind the cab). You may be fine as far as front end lift goes, but the rear will surely go down lol. Which bags will alleviate.
OK, that makes sense, but I will be giving a LB a hard look. Good thing I have time.

As for weight of the camper, I believe a lot of it sits on the rear axle or just in front of it while driving. I believe it will cause a lift in the front but airbags are the answer. I've never had one so I'm going by what I'm reading.

sero901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I tow my 40’ toy hauler (17,000lbs) with my 19 3500 HO. It kicks the crap out of my 17! It did tow decently without airbags but, the headlights on these new trucks are so bright that I had to add airbags in. Anyone considering the truck for towing you won’t be disappointed.
not sure about a truck camper but mine has a 2500lb hitch weight over the axle. That’s a picture before I installed the airbags.

3C6BC49B-C5B7-42E0-8ACB-7724609B4ABD.jpeg

OP
OP
L

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow my 40’ toy hauler (17,000lbs) with my 19 3500 HO. It kicks the crap out of my 17! It did tow decently without airbags but, the headlights on these new trucks are so bright that I had to add airbags in. Anyone considering the truck for towing you won’t be disappointed.
not sure about a truck camper but mine has a 2500lb hitch weight over the axle. That’s a picture before I installed the airbags.

View attachment 192062
Impressive. With the trailer weight at 17000, do you regret not getting the DRW? Does the trailer pull the SRW around much?

OCBray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD HO
not sure about a truck camper but mine has a 2500lb hitch weight over the axle. That’s a picture before I installed the airbags./QUOTE]

What hitch are you using in your 2019? We just bought ours and it came with the Mopar 30k hitch. I’m looking for input on what height I need to set the hitch up to. It came setup on the lowest bolt holes.

sero901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Impressive. With the trailer weight at 17000, do you regret not getting the DRW? Does the trailer pull the SRW around much?

Not one but. It tows better than my 8000lb bumper pull. I towed it through the sea to sky highway through the Rockies and it was perfect. I personally hate the DRW so I sized my camper to be on the upper limit of SRW but I bought a lighter trailer for 40’ to keep it just in SRW territory.

sero901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

I am using a B&W companion sliding hitch in the factory puck mounts. It’s out of the truck right now but I believe there are 4 holes and it’s 1 down from the top. I could go a little lower but it would be too tight on the bed side for my liking.

06B4E011-2E71-4893-814B-CEF10BA4B055.jpeg

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am using a B&W companion sliding hitch in the factory puck mounts. It’s out of the truck right now but I believe there are 4 holes and it’s 1 down from the top. I could go a little lower but it would be too tight on the bed side for my liking.

View attachment 192431
Taking pictures is hard work, be sure to stay hydrated! :angels2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963