Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the xb55 morimoto 5500k hid's in the morimoto h1 projectors

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
Gotcha, I forgot you retrofitted yours.

I was looking this morning at the lights against my garage (from about 6' away mind you) and there is no hot spot anywhere in the passenger light. I don't know if it is above the cutoff, to the left of it, or below the field of view of the projector. I need to pull it and try to tweak it. Last time I was tweaking the light using my remote unlock I drained the battery to the point that the lights started strobing and I couldn't crank the truck (had to use my dad's old battery charger for about 30 minutes before it cranked). That means to tweak it, I'm going to have to pull the bulb, move it around, then crank the truck, adjust it, kill the truck, install whatever shims I need, crank the truck again, etc, rinse and repeat till good. I just don't have the energy to jack with it right now.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On another note, anyone have any experience with these? I am finding a lot of info on the H4 in projectors and reflectors, and some info on H11 in reflectors, but I have found very little (basically none) info on H7 in a projector. I know Philips is one of the major OEM light manufacturers, known for quality, I just don't know if I can justify the price on something that has little to no real world reviews in an H7 projector. I have to assume they would be better than the Katana or Hikari just based on the manufacturer, but that is purely an assumption and that's a big price for an assumption.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs-h7-twin

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Gotcha, I forgot you retrofitted yours.

I was looking this morning at the lights against my garage (from about 6' away mind you) and there is no hot spot anywhere in the passenger light. I don't know if it is above the cutoff, to the left of it, or below the field of view of the projector. I need to pull it and try to tweak it. Last time I was tweaking the light using my remote unlock I drained the battery to the point that the lights started strobing and I couldn't crank the truck (had to use my dad's old battery charger for about 30 minutes before it cranked). That means to tweak it, I'm going to have to pull the bulb, move it around, then crank the truck, adjust it, kill the truck, install whatever shims I need, crank the truck again, etc, rinse and repeat till good. I just don't have the energy to jack with it right now.

I don't turn the truck on. I just turn the headlights on and go from there

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't turn the truck on. I just turn the headlights on and go from there

That's what I did, and like I said, I ended up draining my battery. I had been mucking about with it for quite some time, so they were on for a while.

I do have an idea of what I'm going to try, I just need to gather the time to do it. The little indentions on the base that sit in grooves in the projector when it's lined up (there's one on the tab and 2 more around the bottom of the base) I think are interfering with the bulb sitting fully flush in the projector. Since these H7s are (for whatever stupid reason) clocked where the tab sits around 1:30-2:00 instead of 12:00, I modified the base to let it sit at 12:00 to get the return wire at 6:00 instead of 7:30ish. In doing so, it also rotated those indentions to where they no longer sit where they are supposed it. I am planning to flatten them out and see if that lets the bulb go in that much farther to get the arc in the proper location. I know with headlight optics, the slightest bit of difference can wreak havoc, so even though it is maybe a mm or so, it could be affecting it. At least that is my thought, and at this point, I really have nothing to lose since I have no hotspot anyway.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That's what I did, and like I said, I ended up draining my battery. I had been mucking about with it for quite some time, so they were on for a while.

I do have an idea of what I'm going to try, I just need to gather the time to do it. The little indentions on the base that sit in grooves in the projector when it's lined up (there's one on the tab and 2 more around the bottom of the base) I think are interfering with the bulb sitting fully flush in the projector. Since these H7s are (for whatever stupid reason) clocked where the tab sits around 1:30-2:00 instead of 12:00, I modified the base to let it sit at 12:00 to get the return wire at 6:00 instead of 7:30ish. In doing so, it also rotated those indentions to where they no longer sit where they are supposed it. I am planning to flatten them out and see if that lets the bulb go in that much farther to get the arc in the proper location. I know with headlight optics, the slightest bit of difference can wreak havoc, so even though it is maybe a mm or so, it could be affecting it. At least that is my thought, and at this point, I really have nothing to lose since I have no hotspot anyway.

Is the "return" wire at the 6 o'clock position?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the "return" wire at the 6 o'clock position?

It is now. I had to cut a new tab in the bulb base to get it there (pics in a previous post). For some stupid reason, the low beam projectors have the slot for the tab offset from the 12:00 position. The high beam projectors it is at 12:00. No clue why they did that, but it is giving me all kind of fits with the HIDs since they dont have adjustable bases like the LEDs.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It is now. I had to cut a new tab in the bulb base to get it there (pics in a previous post). For some stupid reason, the low beam projectors have the slot for the tab offset from the 12:00 position. The high beam projectors it is at 12:00. No clue why they did that, but it is giving me all kind of fits with the HIDs since they dont have adjustable bases like the LEDs.

OK. Try swapping bulbs if you haven't already. I'm curious if it's the bulb or the projector

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I just installed the alphas from my custom quad with mini h1 7. I have xd xtreme hid 35w and am waiting for the gtr ultra 2.0 $180 with 10% Off BTW. The led should arrive next week.

I work for a sports lighting company. 1k watt led fixtures. Well.... I have a $2k light level meter. That I never had much use for out of the office. I'll share results some times next week.

I am curious of the output of my bukd vs the alpha and also led vs hid. These will be my first set of leds. They seem to have progressed enough to give a try. I have always run hid. My wife's odyssey with stock halogen projectors are no where near my quads. I'm hoping leads are more tailored for halogen quads vs hid.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK. Try swapping bulbs if you haven't already. I'm curious if it's the bulb or the projector

I tried the innovited 5000k 35w before I bought the Morimiot 5500k bulbs. The color was a disaster with the innovited bulbs. I didnt have them in long enough to really notice if there was any hotspot issues. I modified those as well to fit the offset.

The katanas were ok, but they didn't produce much of a hotspot either, and what they did have didn't project out that far. I think that was the color temp more than the light. That's one reason I am thinking about those Philips LEDs linked above. Aside from being a reputable OEM lighting manufacturer, they are around 5800k color instead of the typical 6500k from LEDs.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I tried the innovited 5000k 35w before I bought the Morimiot 5500k bulbs. The color was a disaster with the innovited bulbs. I didnt have them in long enough to really notice if there was any hotspot issues. I modified those as well to fit the offset.

The katanas were ok, but they didn't produce much of a hotspot either, and what they did have didn't project out that far. I think that was the color temp more than the light. That's one reason I am thinking about those Philips LEDs linked above. Aside from being a reputable OEM lighting manufacturer, they are around 5800k color instead of the typical 6500k from LEDs.

I'm curious if you moved the drivers side bulb over to the passenger side if that would change anything

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I modified mine the same as you (Innovited HIDs from earlier) and it made a noticeable improvement.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I modified mine the same as you (Innovited HIDs from earlier) and it made a noticeable improvement.

How did you guys remove the indentations? Rotary tool? Manual file?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven’t removed the indentations yet on mine (the 3 small ones). I did flatten one out with a pair of channel locks trying to tweak the hotspot.
As for cutting the bast to make a new offset tab to fit the slot on the projector, I used a pair of *****.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How did you guys remove the indentations? Rotary tool? Manual file?
I haven’t removed the indentations yet on mine (the 3 small ones). I did flatten one out with a pair of channel locks trying to tweak the hotspot.
As for cutting the bast to make a new offset tab to fit the slot on the projector, I used a pair of *****.

Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, these are the indentions I was referring to when I said I hadn’t messed with them (red arrows pointing at 3 of them). These are the ones I want to flatten out so the bulbs sit further into the projectors.
AA862D03-845A-48DE-8710-E7756090075F.jpeg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, these are the indentions I was referring to when I said I hadn’t messed with them (red arrows pointing at 3 of them). These are the ones I want to flatten out so the bulbs sit further into the projectors.
View attachment 195885
Ah, part 2... definitely interested since such a small change can make a huge difference (for better or worse).

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to try it and get rid of the shins, see if it helps.
I bought replacement dust caps for the ones I drilled. If I can’t get the HID squared away, I plan to either reinstall the LED or pull them, sell them with the LEDs and reinstall my TYC. Now that I have new ballasts, I can either throw my old bulbs back in them or pick up some new bulbs for $50ish and have good lights that don’t take a fuss.

these have a great crisp cutoff, but I am just having hell with them. Seems I’m the only one with the issues I’m seeing, but it’s wearing on my patience. The issues most seem to be having involved bulb out errors. I’ve not had a single issue with that.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I want to try it and get rid of the shins, see if it helps.
I bought replacement dust caps for the ones I drilled. If I can’t get the HID squared away, I plan to either reinstall the LED or pull them, sell them with the LEDs and reinstall my TYC. Now that I have new ballasts, I can either throw my old bulbs back in them or pick up some new bulbs for $50ish and have good lights that don’t take a fuss.

these have a great crisp cutoff, but I am just having hell with them. Seems I’m the only one with the issues I’m seeing, but it’s wearing on my patience. The issues most seem to be having involved bulb out errors. I’ve not had a single issue with that.
What year is your truck? Does it have a 7" cluster? I ask because I've recently discovered that a 2013 cluster doesn't appear to be as sensitive to bulb out messages. Just curious...

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What year is your truck? Does it have a 7" cluster? I ask because I've recently discovered that a 2013 cluster doesn't appear to be as sensitive to bulb out messages. Just curious...

Mine’s a 17. I’ve never had an issue with bulb errors. Had the Morimoto kit with harness and resistors, now the alpha heads with alfaobd setting changed. Never a peep