Anyone updated the Factory Stereo system yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a Big Horn with 8.4' display, I'm looking to change out door speakers and dash speakers so the sound is crisp. What have yall done?

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
search in the audio section, there's tons of stuff others have done.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Adding new front door and dash speakers. Then used the Kicker DSP Smart amp, the KEY180.4

Night and day and about 400.00

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Replaced all oem but dash with kicker.
Upgraded the doors a second time to focal. Sounds awsome on the oem head unit

Edit..... forgot to add that I also added a Rockville 8" powered sub behind back seat after doing the back seat mod. Have a Rockville 5 chanel amp in the garage waiting on me to get the time for install

Last edited:

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I updated my speakers with Diamond Audio Hex speakers and a Hybrid Audio Clarus 12" sub. Kept stock head unit. Everything sounded awesome until the Uconnect software upgrade last year....now it sounds like crap. I guess they are not going to fix it so I'm going to buy a new head unit soon.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
rroche1982 said:
I have a Big Horn with 8.4' display, I'm looking to change out door speakers and dash speakers so the sound is crisp. What have yall done?

Pioneer TS-A6966R 6X9's in the front doors. Their depth is shallow enough to fit in front doors. Most 6X9 are too deep. They sound great and are inexpensive.

Replaced the corner dash speakers and did the 4 ohm resistor trick. I used Polk speakers but they are no longer available.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

Rockville 8" powered sub behind the back seat. Did the back seat mod so I could easily access the area.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/qu...ding-back-seat-mod.121085/page-2#post-1769526

These mods totally transformed the stereo into a system that sounded much better than the Alpine 9 speaker system I had in my 2015 Big Horn.

Then Uconnect sent an over-the-air update back in September that screwed over the equalizer settings, making it super heavy on bass response and ruined my stereo. No worries for you because you have a 2017, not a 2018.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your options are endless depending on what your budget is. lots of guys have upgraded from $500-$5000. things get pricey when you want to add amps. Im in the middle about 1800. all the little things add up, RCA cables, 4 gauge wire, distribution blocks, fuses. and if you can do install yourself cause that could run you 300-500

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If it’s just nicer highs you’re missing, just swapping the dash speakers for a coaxial that has a tweeter should get you there pretty easily. If you search, there are JBL and Infinity models that others have used with much success. If you order from Crutchfield they will normally include any wiring adapters needed.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just opened up my Kicker replacement speakers...soldered/heat shrunk my Metra adapters w/ 4ohm resistors for the 3.5’s. Install tomorrow...USPS late getting me my 1/4 6x9 spacers for the front doors...
Depending on how it sounds, my options are installing a Key w/powered sub, the Rockville mentioned above or toying with a 5 channel amp and a sub...but thats getting up there cost wise and may be more than I need...

Gary330

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 hemi
How did the kicker install with the resistors turn out?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty darn good. They sound amazing. Will be using a 1/2” spacer on the front doors. Its more than 1/4” needed to clear the regulator arm on the front windiws. Back install ckears everything. The new 3.5’s on the dash will still assault your ears if your not careful, but it is sooooo CRISP. Not going to amplify the signal, no need in my opinion. Still lacking in bass, but that will only be fixed with a subwoofer.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty darn good. They sound amazing. Will be using a 1/2” spacer on the front doors. Its more than 1/4” needed to clear the regulator arm on the front windiws. Back install ckears everything. The new 3.5’s on the dash will still assault your ears if your not careful, but it is sooooo CRISP. Not going to amplify the signal, no need in my opinion. Still lacking in bass, but that will only be fixed with a subwoofer.

be ready to scream and yell and pull your hair out,i tried to 1/2" spacers on and the door panel wouldnt go back on

bighammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2003
Engine
Cummins
be ready to scream and yell and pull your hair out,i tried to 1/2" spacers on and the door panel wouldnt go back on

I used 1/4" plywood and cut some spacers. I think the speaker magnet is against the window hardware, but there is some flexibility in it. No problem with the window operation and no rattles or anything.

The OEM speakers are junk. I have used old speaker magnets for light bases in the shop, but these weren't even strong enough for that. I did rob the connector off each one and solder the new speaker leads to them. Saves a cut and splice in the door wiring.

Really nice to be able to have tunes and be able to open the doors without the stupid key chime going. That stupid thing drove me nuts!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently i have 8 dime size washers under each speaker screw, so it prob a a good 10mm. I kniw that redneck as hell, but I wanted to hear them. Im off the regulator and the door panel went on easy and flush.it was just till my spacers finally arrive. I have a set of 1/4” (finally arrived) and a set of 1/2”. Between the 2 sets, I will make it work.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ordered the Rockville 10” powered sub and associated goodies. Have to do one of the back seat mods now...
Question, since I am using shielded RCA cables from the Ks connector behind the radio to the sub, should I still route the RCA separate from my power cable, or can they cohabitate alongside each other? Its been 20 years since I wired in an amp or a sub....

OP
OP
R

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Just did JL CS3 6x9's front and rear doors
CS3 3.5s in the dash they sound amazing.

5 channel JL RD 900/5 AMP for for speakers and JLW3 sub coming next

Heatman13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 longhorn
Engine
I still have the factory stereo but changed all the speakers out with kicker and kicker sub under the back seat and two amps one for the subs and one for the other speakers

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the powered active sub installed and wired in today. Have it mounted Vertical behind the drivers passenger seat. Its a Rockville RW10CA 800w/200RMS 10” powered sub. Its only about 3” deep. It has high and low signal input. I used the high and posi-tapped the rear door speakers. Wow. What a difference. Combine with the 6 Kicker CS speaker upgrade it has totally transformed the audio.
$180 Kicker speakers (6)
$140 Rockville sub
$40-50 misc stuff.
Sounds amazing and pretty damn economical if your willing to do the labor.