Anyone using Wix fuel filters for the 6.7l?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I ordered a package off of Amazon with a Mopar oil filter but both fuel filters were Wix. The rear filter was exactly like OEM but the front fuel filter looked very different from the OEM. The OEM has an oval opening in the bottom with an O ring, approximately 1" x 1/2". The Wix was wide open in the bottom with a much larger O ring which went around the outer diameter of the filter. I had more trouble seating the Wix than I usually do with OEM but once it finally popped into place the cap went on without and problems. Everything else went just as normal so as far as I can tell it's working as designed. I drove around 300 miles today after changing the oil & filters yesterday and it ran like normal.

Just figured I'd ask and hopefully quiet that little voice in the back of my head that won't stop asking questions lol.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The Wix rear is OEM. Racar makes the rear filter for Mopar and still holds the patent on it so all other brands are made by Racar and rebranded. I doubt this will change any time soon since this filter only goes on Ram trucks and there is not yet enough of a market to spend the time and money to knock it off.

The front engine filter is a different story since it goes on all Cummins 6.7L engines which go in a lot more vehicles than just Ram trucks. In fact, it is the most sold medium duty truck and bus engine by along shot. There are enough sales to warrant a knock off. I would go with Fleetguard/Cummins filtration version on this filter and stick with the synthetic filter media version FS53000. It is generally cheaper than the Mopar, but sometimes it may be more expensive depending on where you go. Fleetguard/Cummins filtration are the ones who make this filter for Mopar. My company's cost on the FS53000 is $51.86 from Cummins.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would stick with the OEM or Fleetguard for the front filter.
I've seen several pictures along with reports of WIX fuel filters bulging and blowing out. Granted this was on EcoDiesel trucks but given how much HPFP cost, not worth saving a couple of $$ on a filter.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I ordered and installed Wix fuel filters for front and rear for my 2017 from Rockauto about 14,000 miles ago and they have been just fine. Almost time to order new filters.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Just ordered a FS53000. This is the last truck I hope to ever purchase so I'm trying not to chance much of anything. Thanks for the responses gentlemen.