Anyone wash your engine bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was nervous too but I watched this video from a member here and it turned out fine. I followed his method and covered the alternator, throttle body next to it and also covered the fuse box. I used simple green to spray mine down with, we use it around the house for many things. I was going to use my pressure washer but just used a garden hose with sprayer instead and it worked great. Then I hand dried it and used Areospace 303 on the plastics.

Just don’t forget to remove the bags before you start the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green...&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=simple+green

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CS...ds=aeropscec+303#immersive-view_1538950725119

View attachment 146005

View attachment 146006
watched same video waiting for weather to warm up and gonna hit my engine.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have an open element air filter, I'd cover it up.
Otherwise? Go to town. I've used the pressure washer at the coin-op car wash at least once a month under the hood, I spray it good and close on a lot of components without zero concern / issues.

I work out in dust / mud all the damned time, trying to keep it all clean is vital to a happy healthy truck!

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Twice a year for me.
1. Warm up the engine just a tad. Shut it off (This makes the all purpose cleaner dissolve contaminants better)
2. Cover the electronics and filter
3. All purpose cleaner all over the engine, agitate where necessary.
4. Power washer with the All Purpose nozzle (gentle) from about 3 feet of the engine ( the power washer by nature dispenses and leaves less water pooling in the areas that a garden hose)
5. Compressed air dry the engine bay and wipe down the surfaces with an mf towel
6. Treat all plastics with 303 Aerospace (this makes subsequent washes extremely easy)
7. Warm up the engine to full temp. Good to go

One thing you never want to do is introduce large volumes of water on a fully heated engine. Things will warp and crack.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you decide to take it out, be sure you go on Amazon and get the clips that hold it on. They will break when you take them off.

I had to take mine off recently for a cold air intake hood scoop.

To clean it I simply use a soft brush, worked pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I always unplug the under hood light connector. Once while cleaning I blew out the bulb and the lens is relatively brittle when you go to replace the bulb.