Anyone wire a brake light cutoff switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muhfreedumz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone wired a switch into the brake light switch/harness at the brake pedal? I'm looking for the ability to have the brake lights stay off when applying my brakes while driving into a field to setup for coyote/pest hunting.

If there is a way to get the same switch with the reverse lights, that'd be awesome as well.

I thought about having some heavy duty red vinyl cling covers made for the rear lights, but not sure if I would lose them at speed. Also don't want to get out of the truck in shin height mud to remove them when leaving my calling area. A brake light switch seems like a better idea.

Thanks for any help.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You can use a zip tie or strong tape to hold the switch down while driving, then just cut it off when done.

Edit: I’m not sure if the new trucks have the same type of brake light switch where that can be done though.

OP
OP
muhfreedumz

muhfreedumz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm. That might work. The 2018 switch is still that push button type from the earlier 4th gen years. Perhaps drill a hole on either side of the bracket to help the zip tie stay over the switch surface while its held back. I'll try Gorilla tape first, though. I didn't think to use tape.

I wonder what other inputs or functions (ABS, etc.) I'll lose from that switch being taped down, though.

20180717_191952.jpg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Dunno how often you hunt. But couldn’t you just pull the bulbs out and then throw em back in?

OP
OP
muhfreedumz

muhfreedumz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm out enough were it'd be a pain. Tape will be up first.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I wonder what other inputs or functions (ABS, etc.) I'll lose from that switch being taped down, though.

Yeah that’s something I wouldn’t have thought of, idk if other things are tied into it but I’d bet money with all the electronics now, something is.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just run a wire back to the taillights housing and wire in a switch into the red power wire. then put a switch into the truck so when you turn on the switch it makes a connection and the lights work. Flip the switch and it cuts the connection and the brake lights down come on. I did this back in the day on my 240sx as a cheap fuel pump cut off switch as a secondary theft deterrent.