Anyone With Key FOB Problem After Remote Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
That isn't the problem. You can't unlock, you can't turn off the remote start, you can't set the alarm once the remote start is activated. You have to unlock the door with the key which in turn sets the alarm off and shuts the truck off. Once the truck is shut off, key fobs work normal again.

I am actually scheduling it to be taken in again. Too many problems. I have to go to Tennessee with it next week so I need it but they can have it for a week once I get back. My 12" infotainment system is garbage along with sirius xm problems.

How do you get a hold of them?
Hello @John KIOhio and @kbr577, we are deeply sorry for the trouble this has caused you. Please send our team a private message with your VIN and the details of what you are experiencing with this concern. We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf in order to assist you further toward a resolution.

Kathryn
RamCares

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I ran out and checked mine and , thankfully, no problem. Can you shut the engine down with the fob and then unlock the truck?

Last edited:
OP
OP
John KIOhio

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran out and checked mine and , thankfully, no problem. Can you shut the engine down with the fob and then unlock the truck?
No
  1. Use FOB Without Starting Engine = FOB Works As It Should
  2. Start Engine With FOB = FOB Inoperable Must Use Key To Enter Truck & Start Truck Before FOB Comes Alive Again(All While Alarm Is Going Off)
  3. Remote Start With UConnect = FOB Works As It Should
  4. Remote Start With FOB = UConnect Will Open Vehicle Or Shut Off Vehicle = FOB Normal This isn't ideal because there is a couple minute delay(I Discovered This After The Initial Post) 3rd Truck With UConnect, very familiar with it.
My dealership is very aware, they have many trucks with this issue. At first they said I was making it up but then it started happening to a bunch of them.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No
  2. Start Engine With FOB = FOB Inoperable Must Use Key To Enter Truck & Start Truck Before FOB Comes Alive Again(All While Alarm Is Going Off)
  4. Remote Start With FOB = UConnect Will Open Vehicle Or Shut Off Vehicle = FOB Normal This isn't ideal because there is a couple minute delay(I Discovered This After The Initial Post) 3rd Truck With UConnect, very familiar with it.
My dealership is very aware, they have many trucks with this issue. At first they said I was making it up but then it started happening to a bunch of them.
I don't mind so much having to use the key to unlock but the alarm is a little alarming and embarassing

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
No
Man, that really sucks. I hope they get it figured out for you while it's still under warranty. I had problems (refuleing issue and rear camera issue) with my 2018 that had been to the dealership 4 or 5 times and wasn't fixed. The last time it was in was about 50 miles before warranty expired. Went back a week later and less than 100 miles over warranty and ended up getting RAM customer care involved. They finally got both fixed but it cost me a $200 + tax deductible.

Claytono80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the latest from Ram Care......

“Thank you for that information. What we would have to suggest to to get the technical side of our company. If you could set up an appointment with the dealership we can start working with them to help resolve this. Ususally they would go out to a dealership to inspect the vehicle but right now there are travel restrictions on. In this case they will start helping over the computer and phone. Once you have that date and time if you could let me know I can start working with the dealer.

Thank you again. Should you require additional assistance, or have any new information to provide, please call 1-800-992-1997.”

kbr577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 HD 6.4
My truck went in to the dealer with Ramcare, lets see what they come up with.

kbr577

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 HD 6.4
Just picked up the truck, Dealer said they should have a fix sometime in the first quarter. It seems to be a software problem.

OP
OP
John KIOhio

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up the truck, Dealer said they should have a fix sometime in the first quarter. It seems to be a software problem.
Since I have mentioned I have been using the UConnect to start it then Key FOB to open it, I decided to start trying the Key FOB to do both. The Key FOB has worked FLAWLESSLY for over a week and a half. What in the gremlin hell could be going on with the software or RF module????? WOW!

sparkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
our new 21, 3500 has locked us out twice now when we use the remote start, 1st time i walked away from truck and then it unlocked, 2nd time my wife had the truck and couldn't get in so unlocked with key alarm went off and then couldn't get the alarm to quit for awhile, i hope they come up with a fix soon

OP
OP
John KIOhio

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
our new 21, 3500 has locked us out twice now when we use the remote start, 1st time i walked away from truck and then it unlocked, 2nd time my wife had the truck and couldn't get in so unlocked with key alarm went off and then couldn't get the alarm to quit for awhile, i hope they come up with a fix soon
IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Last edited:

hwyben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 Ram Night Edition doesn’t the exact same thing. I have an active case with FCA customer care. They are now saying a fix is anticipated by end of 2nd quarter 2021.
It sucks getting locked out of a brand new truck in Wisconsin this time of year!!!