API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, I know how important it is to do a mod and then dyno for a mod by mod result. It gives us real time info on what to expect but I had to do this. I decided that I was putting some serious time and effort, not to mention funds to get my truck to Arringtons and they will have the top of the motor tore open, I'm going to put their phase 6 ported heads on top after the cam install. I couldn't refuse the deal they offered. I think I have to sign a waiver, but the build should be on their customer build page.

this project just got stepped up a few notches, love it!!

quick question - how come you wouldnt want extra torque/hp in the lower rpms for towing? the only thing that comes to mind would be that it would put too much strain on the tranny.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I look forward to your results. Hopefully they can tune itand not send you up a creek like you said they did the last guy with a '13.

Good luck with their heads.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this project just got stepped up a few notches, love it!!

quick question - how come you wouldnt want extra torque/hp in the lower rpms for towing? the only thing that comes to mind would be that it would put too much strain on the tranny.

You will want more torque in the lower rpm range of the lline from what I understand but for towing, hauling you want to make torque throughout your rpm range, especially climbing hills. The torque curve from the dyno results with the challengers are a lot down low with a slight curve thru mid-high range. if your towing/hauling you might need more of that torgue mid-high range for getting the package up those hills. (From what I understand).

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I look forward to your results. Hopefully they can tune itand not send you up a creek like you said they did the last guy with a '13.

Good luck with their heads.

I know but that was before the Trininty came out. Everyone is quite confident this will pan out with the diablosport. From what I understand, Arrington could only try to tune with their unlocks they have with Chyslers crate engines to unlock the PCM. Diablosport changed this game completely(unlock with the ability to write a custom tune into it). Time will definitely tell, but I'm hoping for a very Happy Christmas.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My understanding was Arrington had full access to PCM and Diablo is still working on unlocking some portions. Maybe Diablo's CMR abilities have changed since reading this. I know some features don't work on the Trinity still for me like adjusting the idle.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will want more torque in the lower rpm range of the lline from what I understand but for towing, hauling you want to make torque throughout your rpm range, especially climbing hills. The torque curve from the dyno results with the challengers are a lot down low with a slight curve thru mid-high range. if your towing/hauling you might need more of that torgue mid-high range for getting the package up those hills. (From what I understand).

If the cam doesnt cause a loss at mid and high rpm then really theres no detrimental effects for towing (just no gains) but I get the added torque in the lower rpms. Sounds like the truck will just get moving easier whether beating up the streets and track while maintaining its stock towing capabilities.

Im only trying to inform myself on this cause I occasionally tow (3-4 times a year). Spend some time at the track and the remainder as a daily driver.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding was Arrington had full access to PCM and Diablo is still working on unlocking some portions. Maybe Diablo's CMR abilities have changed since reading this. I know some features don't work on the Trinity still for me like adjusting the idle.

Only for Chysler crate motors. If you go to their customer build section you will see the 2012 truck that has one of their VVT cams and big valve eagle heads installed with a supercharger. very impressive results(467 HP/435.8TQ at 6100rpm). You are correct with Diablosport and what they are able to do at this point and we did talk about this, we are hopeful. The 2012 has a Arrington custom tune installed.

Last edited:

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought with VVT that there was little to be gained doing a cam swap, and I thought I remembered someone saying they LOST power due to a cam swap in these new gen HEMIS.

Could be tuning related I suppose.

But are guys really seeing 70hp gains with the new VVT cams? Or is that all with some good supporting mods? (im not worried about those :) )

Is any head work involved with a new VVT cam? I assume valvetrain would be upgraded, yes. But is it required? Can the springs now handle more lift? Or have enough seat pressure?

I wouldn't mind some more Ummph.

But all this also comes out of my C7 savings fund!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Being honest, I don't see the truck picking up 70rwhp. Even the larger cams on the 3rd gens were only seeing 35-40hp on a good day.

Having said that, I have seen a bigger cam, paired up with the correct tq converter, drop almost a full second of 1/4 mile times in the 3rd gen trucks. I hope they are able to tune this properly because that is going to open up a lot of potential for the guys that are already maxed out with the basic boltons.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought with VVT that there was little to be gained doing a cam swap, and I thought I remembered someone saying they LOST power due to a cam swap in these new gen HEMIS.

Could be tuning related I suppose.

But are guys really seeing 70hp gains with the new VVT cams? Or is that all with some good supporting mods? (im not worried about those :) )

Is any head work involved with a new VVT cam? I assume valvetrain would be upgraded, yes. But is it required? Can the springs now handle more lift? Or have enough seat pressure?

I wouldn't mind some more Ummph.

But all this also comes out of my C7 savings fund!

I'm just learning about the VVT cam myself, by no means any authority. I know that this cam needs a phase limiter and a custom tune so the valves don't hit the pistons. I know that Comp cam says that Stock springs and retainers, etc will work and Arrington agrees but advised me to upgrade to PSI springs for the extra lift. I decided to go with the ported, bigger valve heads and stronger hardware. It just made sense, they already have the heads off. I wont have to worry about dropping a valve.

Most of the dyno numbers with this cam and others like this one put in chargers, challengers, do suggest these types of gains. How a truck functions is different from a car. For one, your not gonna get the rpm range a challenger does.

Hopefully Arrington will be able to tune this truck, we will see from there if there's any pro's and cons to this mod on a truck.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im gonna take a price is right style guess and say $4001 all installed

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im gonna take a price is right style guess and say $4001 all installed

Close enough for government work, but it will get a little bit more pricy if they have to swap pcm with mother mopar, something to the effect of giving up my vin # to them.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pcm switch, looks like they are gonna try to make it work no matter what huh

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might as well lol would a 6.1 intake manifold help at all with this set up?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I understand with the new eagle heads, nothing is gained. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you plan on going to a bigger converter? That size cam would shine with a 3400 stall. Reason I say that is that when I had the srtmax cam ( 218/223) I gained nothing with the 2800 Edge stall I had. It wasn't until I went with the 3400 stall that I saw the result that I wanted.

srtmax cam, Eagle heads, 2800 stall on a 3rd gen 5.7L- 13.0@101

swapped out the 2800 for a 3400 and on my first pass off the street it went 12.81@105, let it cool down and went 12.7x@105.

I added the 4.56 and went 12.49 in + 700 DA

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So what im trying to say is that I would assume being a cam with very similar specs would shine with a similar size stall. Especially being a crewcab some gears will help. ( not sure on the gears you have now)

Either way your opening the gate for the 4th gen guys and I wanna see how it runs