API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These newer trucks do not respond near as well to the larger converters. Also, going up to a 3400 stall speed put him at a much higher risk of having transmission problems due to the difficulty tuning as well as increased temps. If the truck was a toy for the weekends and track, then I would go big. On a street truck, the converter he has now is perfect.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what im trying to say is that I would assume being a cam with very similar specs would shine with a similar size stall. Especially being a crewcab some gears will help. ( not sure on the gears you have now)

Either way your opening the gate for the 4th gen guys and I wanna see how it runs

I'm really going to play this by ear. My first hurdle is getting this mod tuned. Whether just a custom tune using the trinity or having to have the pcm recal/flashed/swapped. Then I'm sure there is also TCM that has some tuning needed. there's a few issues that Arrington will have on their plate. Once it's up and running, I'll be able to tweek TC if need be but I really think that the 2800-3000 stall is right for this(STR 2.2). Even with my 3.55 rear end. Launch should be better and still keep higher rpm speed compaired to having 4.10, 4.56, but I really need to see what results are with this build to plan the next one.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I'd share this with members following this build for those of us wondering what Arringtons appoarch will be toward tuning. From AJ(tuner) at Arrington:"The plan is to blend raw ecu tuning witb your trinity to get you running perfect. I may run into some challenges along the way but nothing in sure we can't get passed. I'm excited to be part of your build breaking some new ground."

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
These newer trucks do not respond near as well to the larger converters. Also, going up to a 3400 stall speed put him at a much higher risk of having transmission problems due to the difficulty tuning as well as increased temps. If the truck was a toy for the weekends and track, then I would go big. On a street truck, the converter he has now is perfect.

I know they dont respond to the 245mm but there is a guy on another forum running a 3400 258mm in a 4th gen and no heating issues as a daily driver. Now im sure when it comes to heat that a deep tranny pan and bigger cooler will work. I never had transmission heating issues for 30,000 miles on my 3400 with stock cooler and pan in texas heat.

Either way I wont be surpirsed if the cam dont show the result some people expect due to the fact that his power band will moving up the rpm range, but we shall see.

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm really going to play this by ear. My first hurdle is getting this mod tuned. Whether just a custom tune using the trinity or having to have the pcm recal/flashed/swapped. Then I'm sure there is also TCM that has some tuning needed. there's a few issues that Arrington will have on their plate. Once it's up and running, I'll be able to tweek TC if need be but I really think that the 2800-3000 stall is right for this(STR 2.2). Even with my 3.55 rear end. Launch should be better and still keep higher rpm speed compaired to having 4.10, 4.56, but I really need to see what results are with this build to plan the next one.

Well good luck I see it pulling like a freight train on the top end in the power band but at the track your 3.55 and 2800 wont be enough to produce good ET. Im sure u might gain ET but much will be left on the table. Your going to move your TQ curve higher in the RPM range so you will need gears to get u there and a stall to flash close to your peak TQ will be. So a dyno once done will help you figure out where that will be.

But your also right deal with the tuning first and then work it out to get it at its best. Thats what alot of the guy in the ram world had to do back in the days

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
VVT cam should change the heart beat of this engine. I'm hoping for 2/3 of my torque before 3500rpm and flatter curve out from there to 6100rpm. Stock cam has a strong curve till 5100. you couldn't tell the difference between the T curve and HP curve other than the torque curve was steeper to 4200. All of the dyno sheets I've seen for VVT 266, or 274, have a vastly flatter torque curve from that of stock at 3500rpm- 6100. That dyno is from a 2012 Ram r/t, VVT cam, ported Big valve heads, . Magnuson 5.7L Supercharger I like the flatter torque curve for my set up. tweek it as needed from there.

Attachments

• CharlesD_DynoM.jpg
    CharlesD_DynoM.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
VVT cam should change the heart beat of this engine. I'm hoping for 2/3 of my torque before 3500rpm and flatter curve out from there to 6100rpm. Stock cam has a strong curve till 5100. you couldn't tell the difference between the T curve and HP curve other than the torque curve was steeper to 4200. All of the dyno sheets I've seen for VVT 266, or 274, have a vastly flatter torque curve from that of stock at 3500rpm- 6100. That dyno is from a 2012 Ram r/t, VVT cam, ported Big valve heads, . Magnuson 5.7L Supercharger I like the flatter torque curve for my set up. tweek it as needed from there.

Well good luck. Post up ET results when ur done that will be the true test to see what change u will need first. (Gears or stall)

Any dynos of the cam ur getting from a truck without a supercharger?

You are all motor correct? Or are u supercharged?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No superchargers out for these trucks yet. I wouldn't be surprised with tuning it wont be long. Most of the dyno I've seen are with challengers,etc. That's the only dyno I found at Arringtons with Ram 1500 VVT cam. We all agreed that is the cam to put in. Ironically, the torque curve is consistant between car/truck.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1xatPAC1Wvw

Last edited:

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No superchargers out for these trucks yet. I wouldn't be surprised with tuning it wont be long. Most of the dyno I've seen are with challengers,etc. That's the only dyno I found at Arringtons with Ram 1500 VVT cam. We all agreed that is the cam to put in. Ironically, the torque curve is consistant between car/truck.

Yeah not much choices in cams, and yes the engine are very similar other than the intake manifolds, but when its comes to the cars and trucks the TQ will matter about where it is because simply the trucks are about 800lbs heavier and either need TQ more down low or gears and converter to flash at where it needs to be according to the cam and where it starts to make TQ to get it out of the hole to produce good ET.

One thing I learned from a chevy guy was to set you motor up for mid and top end power and let the converter and gears take care of the low. Of course his is a light weight reg cab along with mine and how I speced my 426 for my ram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah not much choices in cams, and yes the engine are very similar other than the intake manifolds, but when its comes to the cars and trucks the TQ will matter about where it is because simply the trucks are about 800lbs heavier and either need TQ more down low or gears and converter to flash at where it needs to be according to the cam and where it starts to make TQ to get it out of the hole to produce good ET.

One thing I learned from a chevy guy was to set you motor up for mid and top end power and let the converter and gears take care of the low. Of course his is a light weight reg cab along with mine and how I speced my 426 for my ram.

Agreed, but honestly I'm hoping that this cam will shine @ 3000rpm in the torque curve. Factor in the ported heads and bigger valves these will bring more lower end range torque. At any rate, this truck stock is making from my personal dyno numbers 235ft lbs @ 4036rpm with 183Hp @4036 at the RW. If the cam/ported heads/bigger valves can move that closer to the 3000Rpm range I'm sitting pretty. I should be in the range of 500 ft lbs at launch.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is at Arringtons finally. It's an amazing place to be a part of, not to mention all the rubber left in the lot.

Attachments

• Kens&Arrington 352.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 352.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Kens&Arrington 371.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 371.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Kens&Arrington 369.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 369.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 293
  • Kens&Arrington 339.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 339.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Kens&Arrington 348.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 348.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 289
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, and did I mention?

Attachments

• Kens&Arrington 359.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 359.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Kens&Arrington 366.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 366.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Kens&Arrington 370.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 370.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Kens&Arrington 361.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 361.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Kens&Arrington 351.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 351.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next week, Arrington has another '13 Ram coming in for Forced Air Testing. Is it Christmas or what...

Attachments

• Kens&Arrington 356.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 356.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Kens&Arrington 341.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 341.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Kens&Arrington 373.jpg
    Kens&Arrington 373.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, not sure how i missed this thread. Subscribed now.... like mentioned in other posts, if this works out well, this is perfect for those that are maxed out w na mods

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Agreed, but honestly I'm hoping that this cam will shine @ 3000rpm in the torque curve. Factor in the ported heads and bigger valves these will bring more lower end range torque. At any rate, this truck stock is making from my personal dyno numbers 235ft lbs @ 4036rpm with 183Hp @4036 at the RW. If the cam/ported heads/bigger valves can move that closer to the 3000Rpm range I'm sitting pretty. I should be in the range of 500 ft lbs at launch.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya you will definitely get more power with your heads getting some work but I don't see 500 ft lb.

Are you going off engine dyno or rear wheel power?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya you will definitely get more power with your heads getting some work but I don't see 500 ft lb.

Are you going off engine dyno or rear wheel power?

Yes, I was referring to TQ at the crank. Another thing. As I understand this install, there are a few mods that have to take place with the TCM/and tranny solenoid to increase the rpm range to 6800. It will be interesting to see how much power the engine can/will make after 6100rpm if any. There are no promises that the engine will but Arrington is gonna find out, but I'm hoping the truck can make power up to 6400rpm. It will change the dynamics of this truck completely.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope they can finally get something going on the cams for the Ram's. Another dude up in Maine doing tractor pulls with his '12 got their cam and it put out the same hp as the stocker. After switching to their pcm tuning it still had no gain. They went back and forth on it for about 3 weeks. Seems the grinds that are doing awesome in the cars don't do anything against the truck pcms. This should give them some time to R&D something.

I started tuning that truck and I will say that it spins to 6800 (we have a 7000 rev limiter on it) for his tractor pulls. They shouldn't have an issue getting the rpms up