API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes, I was referring to TQ at the crank. Another thing. As I understand this install, there are a few mods that have to take place with the TCM/and tranny solenoid to increase the rpm range to 6800. It will be interesting to see how much power the engine can/will make after 6100rpm if any. There are no promises that the engine will but Arrington is gonna find out, but I'm hoping the truck can make power up to 6400rpm. It will change the dynamics of this truck completely.

Well cant wait to see what she does....:happy160:

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I hope they can finally get something going on the cams for the Ram's. Another dude up in Maine doing tractor pulls with his '12 got their cam and it put out the same hp as the stocker. After switching to their pcm tuning it still had no gain. They went back and forth on it for about 3 weeks. Seems the grinds that are doing awesome in the cars don't do anything against the truck pcms. This should give them some time to R&D something.

I started tuning that truck and I will say that it spins to 6800 (we have a 7000 rev limiter on it) for his tractor pulls. They shouldn't have an issue getting the rpms up

WOW that sucks big time. I'd be pissed

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW that sucks big time. I'd be pissed

That does suck. Hope that doesn't happen with mine. One important difference with this build as allowed to others is full access to the 60000 + parameters of the pcm. Another reason I went with Comps cam over Arringtons grind for the cars. Justin was pretty up front with the issues between car and truck. We even discussed TB and how straight 84, 85mm work in the cars and not trucks, ported tb, etc. Another reason for the head upgrade. Dave at Arrington can R&D the truck for as long as they need it to find the depth of the pcm variables. Challenges are there but Arrington feels they can meet those challenges. At any rate, we will know in a few weeks or so. I have my dyno numbers from last mods. We'll get a ideal if anything improved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope they can finally get something going on the cams for the Ram's. Another dude up in Maine doing tractor pulls with his '12 got their cam and it put out the same hp as the stocker. After switching to their pcm tuning it still had no gain. They went back and forth on it for about 3 weeks. Seems the grinds that are doing awesome in the cars don't do anything against the truck pcms. This should give them some time to R&D something.

I started tuning that truck and I will say that it spins to 6800 (we have a 7000 rev limiter on it) for his tractor pulls. They shouldn't have an issue getting the rpms up

Sean, I hear you are one of the best at tuning with Diablosport, but I didn't realize you had access to Arringtons flashed pcm. I asked Arrington about what was better to have; their Flashed pcm or the ECU raw data blended with the Trinity. Their answer was the later for Datalogging and fine tuning real world driving performance. Once I'm through this "Test Mule" phase, I will get a hold of you if you be interested in taking a looksy.

As far as the rev limiter, Diablosport gives you access but From what I was told from Justin @ Arrington, the solenoid in the tranny has to be swapped out. I'm not sure if he was thinking something incorrect. He did tell me that a couple of times in various conversations. I'm wondering if that truck is making power past 6100rpm.

Last edited:

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sean, I hear you are one of the best at tuning with Diablosport, but I didn't realize you had access to Arringtons flashed pcm. I asked Arrington about what was better to have; their Flashed pcm or the ECU raw data blended with the Trinity. Their answer was the later for Datalogging and fine tuning real world driving performance. Once I'm through this "Test Mule" phase, I will get a hold of you if you be interested in taking a looksy.

As far as the rev limiter, Diablosport gives you access but From what I was told from Justin @ Arrington, the solenoid in the tranny has to be swapped out. I'm not sure if he was thinking something incorrect. He did tell me that a couple of times in various conversations. I'm wondering if that truck is making power past 6100rpm.

What solenoid has to be changed in the transmission?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What solenoid has to be changed in the transmission?

The only one I know of is the valve body solenoid. I didn't think twice about that statement because of the electrical control of line pressure, clutches, brakes, proper gear selection, etc. I just assumed that with the increased rpm range those parameters needed to be modified as well. I will ask Arrington because I already have the stage II valve body but the solenoid is Stock.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on the build has been secretive and partial at best. Cam and Heads are in, tune is pulled from the truck. Waiting on pics from the media dept @ Arrington. Tuning will not be done with the Diablosport but API's handheld "Black Box". I have complete engine and transmission tuning capabilities for dialing it in. Very exciting and major with that development. No dyno numbers yet.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Update on the build has been secretive and partial at best. Cam and Heads are in, tune is pulled from the truck. Waiting on pics from the media dept @ Arrington. Tuning will not be done with the Diablosport but API's handheld "Black Box". I have complete engine and transmission tuning capabilities for dialing it in. Very exciting and major with that development. No dyno numbers yet.

Whenever you get a chance can you ask them if there able to raise the shift points pass 6200? Cant wait to get some dyno numbers congrats

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever you get a chance can you ask them if there able to raise the shift points pass 6200? Cant wait to get some dyno numbers congrats

I certainly will, we did discuss this. Im under the impression that Arrington can push it too 6800 but what will be the power past 6200 is the important question. I'll keep you informed.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, just ran into Don@HHP online at Modern mopar Forum. They just completed another VVT Comp Cam install with their ported heads. Dyno results on their 6.4 netted 85RWHP(see dyno results below). He said and I quote " The 09+ 5.7 guys usually see about 100 - 110 with a 274 and a set of our heads with supporting mods". He also said that the drivetrain losses on our trucks are a bit more, but even at 30% that's 70-80 with this install and supporting mods. These Cams still need more RD on tuning if anyone is interested.

Arrington @ 4weeks on my install have had a major break through on tuning last week. wont be long now. I'll be happy with 70-80 more horses.

Attachments

• 1510668_710593052286450_558275485_n.jpg
    1510668_710593052286450_558275485_n.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
its all fine and dandy for cars, I wanna see it on a truck :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its all fine and dandy for cars, I wanna see it on a truck :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I know what you mean. It's been a long 4 weeks already and will be longer from today. Tuning and meetings, I'm sure. The 266 should produce similar results as the 274, but if nothing else, I now have complete tuning control over my engine and transmission parameters. That in of itself is worth the "Test Mule".

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why isn't this a "sticky" or whatever you call it, up front on the Gen 4 section? This is best news hands down we've had on the Gen 4 trucks. Over the top man. And you did the heads too. Son of a b. :) I'm getting in there right behind you.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why isn't this a "sticky" or whatever you call it, up front on the Gen 4 section? This is best news hands down we've had on the Gen 4 trucks. Over the top man. And you did the heads too. Son of a b. :) I'm getting in there right behind you.

cause we havent gotten any news back as to whether it was a success or not...

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I'd rather have someone else other than Dave from B&G trying to tune it.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And why is that? You know he was tuning trucks before you were born right? Before SCT, Before Intune, before anyone.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn't mean he's good at the though, just ask UNBROKEN about his experience with Dave. These new Hemis are hard to tune and there's only a couple guys that I know of that are getting it done.