API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KLRpanda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Doesn't mean he's good at the though, just ask UNBROKEN about his experience with Dave. These new Hemis are hard to tune and there's only a couple guys that I know of that are getting it done.

very few guys..

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't mean he's good at the though, just ask UNBROKEN about his experience with Dave. These new Hemis are hard to tune and there's only a couple guys that I know of that are getting it done.

I can't disagree with you on that point but Dave is perfect for writing new programs for this install if need be. There are 3 on this team, Aj, Dave and Matt. I know for a fact AJ tuned the 274 for 85 rwhp on a challenger in New York middle of last year and 70rwhp on '12 Ram. Between the 3 something will happen. Arrington is taking a slow and steady approach, patience brings better results. 5 weeks in. There are a sh*t load of tuning variables they have to work out before they even consider giving my truck back. I'm not the only vehicle there and they are tuning Rams for the SCT release next month. When I get to my laptop, I give some more info. You will be the first to know my results, good or bad.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AJ is one of the few that can.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is an example of the issues when trying to tune these Cams... So believe me when I say: Arrington, take your time and get it right the first time".

"I have the Compcam 274 and it is not friendly for me...I guess the tuning for mine hasn't been dialed in. Johan with Diablo tuned it remotely. I was at 342rwhp before the cam and I got 387rwhp after = 45rwhp gain...same dyno. I was expecting more as the reason I purchased the 274 was because of the claims. I may need to send my car to HHP then for some more tuning....like others have said, tuning this cam is not easy. I've put a Vortech supercharger on it recently and it's definitely stronger, don't know the numbers...Per Comp Cam, "the 274 looooooooovvvvvvvvvessssssss boost."

When I say it hasn't been friendly for me....Ex: car turns off sometimes when switching from Park to Drive, Drive to Reverse, etc...sometimes I have to give it a little gas as soon as I switch to keep the RPMs up (Idle is set at around 800-850).

Sometimes in 1st gear when cruising out of parking lot, the RPMs will slowly rise on their own until I either brake to slow down or until the RPMs calm down on its own. It feels like the car is taking a deep breath, RPMs increasing, until it can't breathe anymore and then RPMs drop lol. I remember I took it to Atlanta Motorsports Park and the instructor was driving it and asked me what was going on...I told him it's the cam and not to worry.

For the most part, the car runs well because I know what I need to do in order to keep it on and running. If anyone was to move my car, they would have issues with it."

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh. So there's some consensus that Arrington is not get it to run?

Here's an update for you from AJ @ Arrington...

"The 2013 stuff is very new and we are plugging away. I had planned on being at the plant yesterday, mother nature and the airlines fixed that for me. I have your base program complete with fully functioning VE tables and direct transmission tuning almost complete. From there we will start Digging"

southernspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hell i put one in mine if they want to mess with it .... everything has to evolve even if mistakes are made but that is the only way to find out what the best way is ... my truck is there now as a test dummy for sct ... i have now idea what results are but even if it is 1 hp ..it is worth it for r&d .... every one has to start somewhere

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hell i put one in mine if they want to mess with it .... everything has to evolve even if mistakes are made but that is the only way to find out what the best way is ... my truck is there now as a test dummy for sct ... i have now idea what results are but even if it is 1 hp ..it is worth it for r&d .... every one has to start somewhere

SCT tuner has a lot of user access and controls, not to mention the custom tune from Arrington. I would think your truck will have a whole new feel to it. I'm glad you stepped up. Someone has to pave the road so others can drive on it.

southernspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does that mean they are done with mine... I have not heard anything

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that mean they are done with mine... I have not heard anything

From what I know of the situation. AJ is still in NY but he could have finally got a flight out today. Dave drove in from Michigan and arrived late morning. I would think that with the weather breaking tuning is ongoing today thru the rest of the week. It could be that AJ will just come next week. If I learn anything new, I'll post for you. Holidays and weather have us all in line waiting our turn.

southernspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I gotta leave it longer I can I just need to know

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well if the SCT has better transmission tuning i'm all over it. Keep us updated with dyno numbers.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got another update to the install. Calibrations aren't done yet on the engine or transmission. Justin(sale tech) at Arrington said 2 more days should be buttoned up. Initial pull on the dyno resulted in 370rwhp and he couldn't remember the TQ. That's 70rwhp upgrade from my first dyno done. It's very respectable for the smallest of the 3 Comp Vvt cams offered(266,270,274). We all agreed over the phone that these numbers should go up a little tomorrow, but they won't give me a sheet till it's final. We agreed that this small cam was built for these trucks, especially if you want to go the forced air route without losing some boost. Remember, I don't have LT or HF cats. Just the JBA shorty's with 1 5/8 prim and I think the Vararam intake is going on when I get it back( I'm sure that these mods would put me in the 410-425 range). Rev limit/ shift points to be determined. Very respectable, just been a long road as a "Test Mule".

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01